Bamfield spring/summer reports 2010 - halis & spri

Status
Not open for further replies.
osama: E-mail sent

cheers

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)

I'm back!

Gord at Cowichan Fly and Tackle set me up with everything we need to slay big springs this year! Don't worry!

So... anyhow... Be hitting the water hard now to get the lodge boat tuned in as the charters start next week fast and furious.

Reports enroute - got some cool new technology thats gonna allow us to do live youtube video updates from at sea!

Happy to be back, great to see you Rob at PNT today, thanks for the treats:D

Ray, e sent, see ya Friday.

Gimee the gaff!!!

Question for all you Bamfield fishermen. What are the best months to fish the area??? I want to book accommodations soon so I can be out there when the runs come through.

Reel Chaos

King_Cod, You might want to qualify your question, just a tad bit?
You certainly can/will get all kinds of answers and it really depends on your target? To give you an ideal, the largest two salmon I have caught off WCVI; the first one was the first week of July and the other the middle of August? :)

This year I am targeting the Columbia run so, you will see me in that area around the 5th of August! Then you will see me again, the 5th of September after Coho! :)

Salmon, Halibut, Crab, Prawns? I would not have a problem going right now through the end of June! Springs are usually smaller, but plentiful. June the halibut start becoming a little harder to find and the crabbing/prawning usually starts to slow down??

If you are looking for the "Tyee" the "main" Columbia run, usually starts around the first or second week of August - great time for Springs. Coho are still a bit small, but between 10-15 pounds, and halibut much slower and you will be working for them. Crabs/Prawns - depends on the commercials?

Last week of August first of September... Great time for Coho, plus you will still have the tail-end of spring runs, plus resident chinooks. Usually less crowded and can be some really good fishing!

Hope this doesn't confuse you, too much? :D

Here are last years Archived Reports

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11855

You Decide

FD..;)

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Thanks for the replies Charlie and Fog Ducker. Looks like I will book some time off around the 13th of August.

I might need a on board guide the first day of fishing to get me to the Tyee :D Can you suggest anyone who I could book for a half or full day?

Reel Chaos

quote:Originally posted by King_Cod

Thanks for the replies Charlie and Fog Ducker. Looks like I will book some time off around the 13th of August.

I might need a on board guide the first day of fishing to get me to the Tyee :D Can you suggest anyone who I could book for a half or full day?

Reel Chaos

pm Osama

August is definately a Peak time in our yard , Jeff is definately a good call,if he's booked up , try Kenny over at Rocky Point Charters as well , Don't limit urself to August , End of July can be quite productive as well, I actually prefer July , more action in the past few years , but , imo , just have a peak at the reports before ya head over , follow the fleet , inshore can be quite good , I'm sure you'll do fine , ask alot of questions at the docks , most are willing to give up a bone or two , if ya see my boat afloaten , pop by , see if i can help ya out.. .

Cheers

FD...;)

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

We have a week or so in early June to poke around the area. Running a center consol so looking for some shore accomodation in the Barclay sound area. Not sure if we'll be launching in Port and running the canal OR drive over to the West coast.Any suggesions for some clean reasonable digs close to some fish would be appreciated.

2550 Pursuit CC

Lots of choices to be had in Barclay. Depends what you want to spend and your level of comfort. Seabeam resort offers cheap basic accommodation as does Poet Nook. Mills Landing has some great cottages . They are all close to some good fishing spots.

Anytime from June - September for chinooks, with the biggest around being late July-early September. The biggest chinooks that we have been getting have been coming in earlier and earlier, I think the first week of August was the best last year, right up until mid-month there were some hogs around.
Hali's can be anytime from now through the fall, but the biggest seem to come out of anchor shows in the early spring. The 100+ fish for us last year were all May and June. Part of that's probably effort too because we don't do that as much once the salmon show up, and more time is spent chasing red fish instead of white fish. Plus it's not a good idea to be advertising your close-to-home spots at a time of year where there are lot's of rubberneckers around...
Coho, offshore is July and August, inshore is August and September.
Prawns are usually fall-spring, although it is still really good right now, but the commercial fishery opens on May 6th, so that will have an effect.
Crabbing can be good all year.

Take your pick, it's paradise out here...

-millsy

well gonna be heading out to bamfield early saturday morning not only have i not been before an am kinda excited but also very nervous is there anything i should keep an eye out for down the channel any real bad spots or just keep lookiong for the big pink ballons only got caught up in one seiners net last year lmao when they were in the canal after sockeye was actually pretty amusing for those involved a newfie an vietmenese in a battle of tongues an no translator made for a few giggles hope nothing ha[ppens like that this year ..... well hope the fishing is worth it ...

Hey Newfie,
I ran the canal late last week out to Bamfield. My biggest suggestion - keep a VERY close watch for floating debris, specifically logs. Last week was the worst I have ever seen it (big tides last week probably moved a lot off of the beaches). It isn't like you have to idle amongst all of the wood, there are just enough of them and they are just big enough to turn a great trip into a not so great one very quickly. Always have someone watching out front. Other than that, have fun!

quote:Originally posted by ratherbefishing

Hey Newfie,
I ran the canal late last week out to Bamfield. My biggest suggestion - keep a VERY close watch for floating debris, specifically logs. Last week was the worst I have ever seen it (big tides last week probably moved a lot off of the beaches). It isn't like you have to idle amongst all of the wood, there are just enough of them and they are just big enough to turn a great trip into a not so great one very quickly. Always have someone watching out front. Other than that, have fun!

X2...had a trip and my bank account ruined already this year...will hopefully have my boat repaired by the May long weekend [V]

welll was so nrvous for a trip that was pretty awesome if you ask me the canal is not so bad with debris right now anyways an made er out to bamfield picked up ol faitful as a fishing partner for the day "thanx by the way again jeff" managed to get into to some bottom fish got a 35 pound hali a really nice ling an a big beauty of a blue cabzon believe that how it spelt all in all was nothing more then i couldve asked for a terrific trip hope to see ya all very soon again beautiful bamfield butts .......

welll was so nrvous for a trip that was pretty awesome if you ask me the canal is not so bad with debris right now anyways an made er out to bamfield picked up ol faitful as a fishing partner for the day "thanx by the way again jeff" managed to get into to some bottom fish got a 35 pound hali a really nice ling an a big beauty of a blue cabzon believe that how it spelt all in all was nothing more then i couldve asked for a terrific trip hope to see ya all very soon again beautiful bamfield butts .......

Can anyone recommend any campsites in the Bamfield area?

I have tried booking with Poett Nook but they have not returned my e mails or phone calls :(

Reel Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back