Bamfield road

slaydown

Hey all
I have received a few messages about the gravel road to bamfield and trailering it so I thought I would post my experiences for the last 10 years of doing that. Usually by the time I get over to the canal it is afternoon and it has blown up and I do not want to get caught in that.
My last boat was a 17ft fiberglass and my current is a 16ft welded aluminum. Both boats are relatively light which is a huge consideration . I have trailered both numerous times and knock on wood have not had one issue but I do take some painfully slow tedious precautions. The road in always varies but without fail there are always some pretty terrible spots and I always see someone with a flat or a trailer issue. Here's what I do
1. I drive insanely slow and cautious through bad areas and sometimes avg 10 km/hr sometimes. You need to take your time and be in no rush. I average between 2.5 and 3 hrs to get through.
2. Make sure you have a spare for both trailer and vehicle. I know it sounds like a no brainer but I have seen it more than once and make sure your trailer bunks/rollers and brackets are in good shape.
3. The road is dusty so it's up to you the extent you want to cover your boat, in the past I have covered the whole boat with a tarp but it seems dust gets under it anyway so I dont bother with that anymore. What I do though is completely cover my main and kicker along with electronics so no dust gets in any grease or intake etc... I use big industrial bags or poly and electrical tape and just pull over once we hit the gravel.
When you get to the launch just pull over to pay at the campground for the launch and trailer parking then grab their freshwater hose and give your boat a good quick wash. Works like a charm.
Those are my experiences and I remember when I first started everyone was telling me I was nuts to do it etc... but it has worked out awesome for me and although it takes awhile it is a beauty drive. Feel free to ask anymore questions if I have missed anything.

Back