Bamfield Poett Nook Reports Spring/Summer 2012

I got a last minute call and headed over to Bamfield on Friday. Fished Friday night, Saturday and Sunday morning and we did very well. We both limited on springs all in the low teens and picked up a 25lb Halibut off the bottom. Saturday went out to Turtle Head -- fishing was slow but we kept 3 springs and the halibut and released about 4-6 shakers. Sunday morning out to Kirby and we had our limit in 60 minutes and headed back to the dock before 8am -- 3 fish between 10-14lbs and one about 8.

Threw loads of hardware at the fish -- coho killer, cop car, Batrix anchovie, wonderbread but the majority of the fish were caught on a green/white hootchie.

Hi Jeff

Nice fish all on a hot hootchy does it have a name or number???? Good for you catching some nice fish when its been very spotty over there.

Tight lines
Billydoo

ya i guess ill tell ya ...it was the glow bud needle fish squirt ..the inlet was full of little feed ,im assuming they are needle fish ..they were only 3 inches long ,,max ..so i threw out my squirt and...bang...16 pounder ..then we put another one out and 5 mins later another one took it ...anchovie was dead and so were spoons

Thanks Jeff your a gentleman for letting out your secret,glow bud needle fish squirt eh awesome never seen one but sounds deadly,I have some laser squids they work really well on the inside of barkley sound,thanks for the info Jeff good luck the rest of the season!!!

Tight lines
Billydoo

Thanks for the info, taking the boat to Bamfield for a month on Friday, happy to see there is some fish around. Will give a weekend report on Monday
Peter

Jeff & Ten Mlle, those reports make me want to get out on the water. It's amazing what a couple good reports will do for increasing the expectations!

Jeff & Ten Mlle, those reports make me want to get out on the water. It's amazing what a couple good reports will do for increasing the expectations!

we found that vernon held most of the fish we were seeing on the sounder...we were trolling really fast and really deep

90-120.. Needlefish.. Glow.. Chartruese.. Lemon lime.. May/ june...all good.. See ya this weekend

We found fish at Kirby and Vernon bay..sunday was the better day for us.. biggest being about 18 lbs.. everything on chovie

Billydoo......try PacNet....I've been in there lots of times and and seen packages of straight glow needlefish.....I buy them to stick inside regular non-glow hoochies to make them have some glow.

Good morning everyone,
will be leaving for Bamfield around 2 today, will report when back. I will be in a blue and grey 22 double eagle named pop sea
most of you ive seen before, so see you soon

Lance

Whats Happening out there guys, it is getting better and has anyone heard about whats up with the socs in Port Alberni ?
Are u guys still hooking into Halis ?
One more question , hows the Ling fishing up there ?

Clint

well as far as socks are they are showing up!!! jumpers abound,,,now to see when the sqare hooks get permission to clean them out...

Area 23 Gill nets open Tuesday, June 12, 2012 for 14 hours, from 06:00 hours to
20:00 hours, in Subarea 23-5 and portions of Subareas 23-3, 23-4 and 23-6.
Numukamis Bay, San Mateo Bay, Effingham Inlet, Rainy Bay and Uchucklesit Inlet
are closed.
The preseason forecast for Somass sockeye is 700,000 - 1,000,000. The seine
test-fishing vessel will commence operations June 11. Test-fishing information
will be available after June 15. A run-size update will be provided after June
28. Test-set information will be available on the internet at:
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/salmon/testfish/default.htm

Whats the average size of this run ? i heard they are on the smaller side... just wondering ?

Fellas

So , spent a few hours each morning the past few days, scouted a few close by areas, found a good number of fish at Kirby on Thursday , all between 10 - 18lbs ,spoons definitely were favoured , bait NOT needed , sorry , but the needlefish were a bust this outing , 80% on spoons , 20% on hootchies , GREEN + BLACK + WHITE were key ,seen Ken from Rocky Point Charters slammin em like crazy, 2 days in a row out there , the next day showed 20 boats , so we decided ta find a new spot , we found a whack of fish a liitle closer to home , NON STOP action , i havent seen this much bait spread around in some time , where there was bait , there was a strike ,UNREAL , not huge fish , most between 12-16lbs , the odd 18-20 , my deck hand said we had around 22 to the boat lol , we were back at the dock for breakfast in short order...so glad it picked up from the reports i read earlier ,,, maybe the fish gods were on our side and got lucky , not sure , didnt speak to to many others out there , we did our own thing , wicked set of friends this outing , had a f`n blast with em , all fish were loaded with 4-5 inch fresh herring for ur info !!! back ta the grind now ...

thx Zelco and Ed !!!

seen bobber jons rig , very nice , hope ya stayed where i seen ya , it really went off..
see ya in a couple weeks , ( we didnt go offshore , was a little lumpy for us city slix )
gd luck out there,,

Oh Ya , dont waste ur time on Prawns , the Commys mopped er up , Crabbing was decent though !!

a few shotz

later

fd

Iphone4sJune2012047.jpg

Iphone4sJune2012041.jpg

Iphone4sJune2012037.jpg

Iphone4sJune2012035.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back