Bamfield Poett Nook 2014- 2015

Hey Poppa last year was stellar, all on the inside, nothing like torpedoing 20+ lb springs all day long and pumching through the coho to get there.
I have had no problem over the last 5 years that I have been there of finding lots of quality fish to play and keep.
I was there in early July and it was a grind but we did find our fish, definetly slower this year so far from what I hear, but the past has been tons of fun.

GB

Buddy of mine has been out on my boat this week -- reported in today. They got skunked today, and only 1 fish yesterday (although it was 25+). They tried off 7mi but the wind and waves came up so they ducked back into Beale. Only upside for them was that the Tuna boat pulled in so they purchased 4 big tuna to take back to Edmonton with them -- the Edmonton tuna fishery has been slow for decades...

Fishing Finally Picking Up Again

Have been fishing all over Barkley Sound this week and it was brutally slow. But finally, the fish showed up offshore. We hit fish at 17 miles out and again at Rats Nose. Lots of bait everywhere. At 17 mile they were feeding on Krill while at Rats Nose they were feeding on hearing. We ended up limiting on Springs, Coho, Halibut. Not a lot of size to the springs which were mostly10 lbs, clones, but we did get a couple 14s and released an 18. Hopefully this is the start of the next wave of fish.

Fished Thurs Eve and this morning at the wall and Kirby. Nada for us and only saw 1 fish landed. Friday the weather cooperated and we managed 3 red high teens springs at 5 mile all on anchovies. Guys going out further were coming in with lots of numbers but no size. Still a beautiful place.

k
not one for for postin live reports , but there seems ta be alot of loom and gloom goin on
so mush as people packin up and leavin , or just canceling there trips all together,
was out with the fleet yesterday in glorious sunshine lake conditions ,
Rats is on !!

they are !!! here !!! alot of very very happy fellow sportsman , KILLED it ,
NON stop action on everything , we tubbed out in no time at all , not huge fish , but springs for us to 20 lbs ,
and a few ta 25 mixed in , gear did not matter , coho top 60 , springs 100 to the mud ,
big spoons and turds caught the bigger fish !!

hope this helps , inshore apparently slow , but , we are gonna go give it a rub in the next week , see what we can scrape up ,
gd lk out there ,, unreal weather again today !!
nice ta see a few members out there , alot of high fivin goin on out there !!

fd

25 miles out with Poppa C ,
one of many friends we bumped into out there ,
IMG_4351_zps69f5ec15.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I concur with you FD. I was supposed to be on a charter with my bro and some buds however the unplanned birth of my child put me out but the boys still went. Yesterday, same area I believe and the report is it was retarded!!! Springs to 20lbs and they got thier flattys I'm not sure where but to 65lbs! They had an absolute blast out there! So jealous and looking forward to next year already...

The sound is producing again. There was plenty of action today, nothing big, but enough to keep your interest.
Humpbacks are in also, so there must be bait.
The water is an unusual colour, resembles the Fraser outflow in being a silty green colour.
The eagles are continuing to be aggressive, every time a flasher came up there would be an eagle doing a fly by hoping for a snack.

Just got back tonight and we had an epic trip..... got all our springs almost all high teeners and got into some coho. Hit Effingham, kirby, and the wall. Yes there we slow days but putting in the time payed off. We fished in 100 to 150 feet of water at 70 to 50ft with chovies and Andrew P's spoon . Biggest fish at 22lbs came on Andrew's spoon on the wall. The sizes may not be epic but the fish were there.

Just got back tonight and we had an epic trip..... got all our springs almost all high teeners and got into some coho. Hit Effingham, kirby, and the wall. Yes there we slow days but putting in the time payed off. We fished in 100 to 150 feet of water at 70 to 50ft with chovies and Andrew P's spoon . Biggest fish at 22lbs came on Andrew's spoon on the wall. The sizes may not be epic but the fish were there.

Glad that I could be there in spirit! Sounds like a great time had overall!

Totally Andrew ... im a huge sitka fan which is why I bought a handful of spoons ... we used a 3ft leader trolling 5km a hour actually hoping for coho .... what a hit ... popped clip and ran before young sam could get to the rod.

u2ery5ap.jpg

Had a similar experience to FD, fished out of Bamfield from July 25 to 31. The weather was great and the fishing was even better!! Rats nose was on fire! brown turd with super gold betsy flasher was the hot combo, chovies also produced well. After two full days of salmon fishing we decided to move our attention to bottom fish. Got into good amounts of hali, ling, black seabass and cabazone. It was great to be there for 6 days as we could explore the area and find new fishing spots.

Also caught a few on Andrew's spoon. I noticed some of our bigger chinooks was caught on his spoon with a dummy flasher.

Did a couple of quick morning shifts Sunday and Monday around Meares. Skunked on Sunday -- not a single hit -- and by noon, the sun was baking us so we pulled up the gear and found a sandy beach in the Broken Group and had a great time swimming. Water at the beach was as warm as it gets in BC!!!

Monday morning we fished the same area and got our "Over/Under" in about 90 minutes off the bluff. They were the only 2 hits we had but both were good fish. Back at it on Thursday for about 10 days to end off our season there.

Yep, that's all great advice. They have most of the inside spots nailed. They failed to mention the banks off Cape Beale -- 7mi, 10, 12, 20, Rat's Nose etc.... Right now, offshore is producing more fish than onshore -- or I should say, it will likely take you less time to catch more bigger fish offshore but will also cost you more fuel and potential lumpy weather. The big fish are inshore, just takes a bit more time to find them.

Have fun, it's a great spot to fish.

Yep, that's all great advice. They have most of the inside spots nailed. They failed to mention the banks off Cape Beale -- 7mi, 10, 12, 20, Rat's Nose etc.... Right now, offshore is producing more fish than onshore -- or I should say, it will likely take you less time to catch more bigger fish offshore but will also cost you more fuel and potential lumpy weather. The big fish are inshore, just takes a bit more time to find them.

Have fun, it's a great spot to fish.

Awesome thanks, Found a site with rats nose and 7 mile coordinates. Hope they are right haha.

Awesome thanks, Found a site with rats nose and 7 mile coordinates. Hope they are right haha.

Fished yesterday at Pill, Swale, Effingham, Ship, Kirby and Diplock. We had one hit all day. We went through plastics, spoons and bait without as much as a hit.

The water in the channel was first emerald in color then changed to brown. So visability for the fish was nil. I assume it will take a few days for the water to get back to normal.

And it was rough conditions to add.

If you fill up with fuel at Harbourside Lodge, the guys there sometimes have printouts of all the banks including GPS coordinates. At the very least, they can show you where all the banks are located on their big chart on the wall.

If you fill up with fuel at Harbourside Lodge, the guys there sometimes have printouts of all the banks including GPS coordinates. At the very least, they can show you where all the banks are located on their big chart on the wall.

Poett Nook Marina also has a labelled offshore map, with most of the common places marked. I've heard if you talk nice they also have GPS printouts of the well known areas.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Back