Bamfield/Poett Nook 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tropical!!

Started our morning at the Whistle Buoy trolling towards the surfline. Dropped the riggers with a couple of flashers and hoochies and instantly had a double header! One off the rigger and gone and the other about a 4lb spring that we let go. Back down and another fish. This one about 7lb so we bonked it. Had marked some bait so flipped around for another tack. Couple small ones released and another pin popper missed. Flip one more time and hit a 9lb on the way back to the surfline.

Pull the gear and head out a couple miles to hunt for halis. 20 minutes in and the young blonde from Scatchy is puking away. Fish on! Her dad hauls up a 35lb and then starts the barf dance himself. We try for another 40 mins or so without a bite so decide to go hunt lings.

Very good.

Another flat day tomorrow, another good day to be alive I suspect!

looks like a GLOW WEIGHT , maybe a Tony weight ??

Sorry Tony for all the BS this comment has started for ya, finding it harder and harder to comment on this site without someone taking jabs.

All the stuff you made for me looks great Bud and maybe the competiors have something to worry about when you give a great product and price .......... Just saying !!

Sorry for the Hi Jack boys ..... back to regular reporting :) !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
finding it harder and harder to comment on this site without someone taking jabs.

Everyone that posts reports is finding it harder and harder to do so without someone hijacking the thread. I'm not pointing the smoking gun at you but come one. Let's go fishing FFS. Enough is enough. Get out there and enjoy it and have fun. Tackle wars are for another thread like Jeff posted.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone that posts reports is finding it harder and harder to do so without someone hijacking the thread. I'm not pointing the smoking gun at you but come one. Let's go fishing FFS. Enough is enough. Get out there and enjoy it and have fun. Tackle wars are for another thread like Jeff posted.

Cheers,
John

Thank you for proving my point my friend it only took 38 min !
I owe you one !
With the amount of posts you have made maybe you should be the one getting out a little more LOL !
Again, thank you

sorry to disturb everyone looking forward to barkley sound chinny's,,just got word that slot limit and inside closure may happen!!!!

Lets try to keep this thread on track (fishing reports!) If you want to comment on the slot, please go to the thread in the conservation section.
Thanks
:)

How's the fishing been in Barkley guys?? Pretty quiet on these pages..

I was down at my local docks here in Mission (1.5hr east of Vancouver)....there has a boat that has been moored there for some time, and I figured some of you Sounders may recognize it. If anyone has a little history to the vessel it would be cool to hear about it. Just for curiosity sake, its blocks from my house and its a fairly safe assumption it came from my favourite fishin' hole, Barkley Sound.

Thanks

Poked around last week with Jeff. Gnarly weather kept fishing to a minimum but didn't sound ripper anyways. The big wave of American hatch jobs "should" be coming in any time.

Thanks Kelly-please keep us posted on those Yankee's-had a good time last year fishing beside you off Bamland-hope to actually meet you this year.

Fished both Saturday and Sunday mornings, manage to catch a few each day (to 15lbs) at Meares-Austin area, Sat morning was brutal wind. Actually surprised I caught anything on Sat given the sideways (wind) trolling that I was doing, Sunday was better for wind but still not great. Caught most in the ~80-120ft depth range, spoons and needlefish hoochies - most on spoons. All clipped fish on Sat, only one clipped on Sun.

Thanks for the report tubby. Heading out to Bamtown on Weds for work but it will be a short day so we will probably do some fishing on the way home:).

Home from a couple days in Barkley Sound.

Left Comox Sat 6am . Trip from Port to Julia was not bad. Was a little snarly crossing imperial/Vernon, but not horrible by any means.. Wind started howling pretty good so we just relaxed. Did a little jigging for a couple bottom dwellers for Sundays dinner.

Sunday we headed out for some Halibut . Got to my first choice to find I had been beaten to it so we chose another. was getting lumpy but doable. Started off with a nice sized Yellow eye and then realized we where dragging the hook. Re set and a short time later the young guys where sick and begging to go back.Ran them back and headed back out. Basically had a disaster of a day. could not get the hook to set again wind was a big factor I think. We spent more time trying to get on the spot than we did fishing. Finally hit a good fish. had a bunch of weight to it and was pounding nice for the first bit and then it became a sheet of plywood. Yup, big Hali NOT!! It was indeed a Skate.Pulled the pin and went back to the shack for some well deserved beers and a nice feed of yellow-eye and rock fish.

Monday am was flat calm and easy to be where we wanted. Tried a new spot and ended up with a nice Ling around 20 and a 27lb Halibut to round the trip out. Did not fish Salmon at all.

Was good to get the first trip in and it was more about helping the owner of the float house get out there and settled. looking forward to another couple trips in the future. Here are a couple pics to wet the appetite.

SUnday's Skate:

Norm with this mornings catch.

Great report Ray!!!

Thanks for sharing big time. Congrats on the nice bottom fish.

Did you keep the skate? They are good eats too and your allowed one a day.

Cheers,
John

No we let him live another day.
To be honest john I have no idea how to deal with one,and they are so cool looking. I have heard they are good eats though.

i see them bucked up at the T&T,, how do you dress and preserve skate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back