Ball Hitch

Confused

So just a curiosity.....do ball hitches get metal fatigue and just snap off at some point? What is the lifespan on one? I imagine there are lots of variables, average load, quality, etc. I have only ever heard of one. And I imagine it is a rare thing, but I do think about it as I tow my 21 foot aluminium missile down the highway.
Do people just buy a new one every so often?

• It's not just the ball. Your towing system’s maximum weight rating is always equal to the lowest rated item in the system.
  • Your hitching system cannot be upgraded to a rating higher than the maximum rating of your hitch. For example, a 3,500lb. ball on a 2,000lb. maximum trailer weight-rated hitch does not increase your towing capacity to 3,500lb. Your hitching system is still rated at 2,000lb. Conversely, a 2,000lb. ball on a 3,500lb. maximum trailer weight-rated hitch decreases your maximum towing capacity to 2,000lb.
  • The hitch ball diameter: (A) must be the same diameter as the trailer coupler (1-7/8", 2", or 2-5/16") because a ball that is undersized will allow the trailer to bounce loose.
  • The shank diameter: (B) of the hitch ball should be the same as the hole diameter in the (correct) ball mount you selected.
  • The shank length: (C) should be long enough to allow at least two threads to be visible when the hitch ball is installed and the nut completely tightened.
  • The trailer tongue weight must not exceed the capacity of the tow system. The tow must not exceed the GVWR.
Keep in mind the ball is only part of the towing system. Do not neglect a regular check of all components and connections, including the safety chains, pins, drawbar and frame attatchment. Operate the tow vehicle responsibly to ensure a safe towing experience.

I actually did snap off a ball once trailering a POS u-built utility trailer borrowed from a friend. This thing swayed so badly that I should have stopped right away but I didn't and a short while later the ball snapped off and the trailer almost dragged me into the ditch. Won't do that again!

Also keep in mind that the Ball material affects the capacity as well. For example, Stainless Steel balls are nice to have for corrosion resistance but do not have the tensile strength of some of the regular steels they use. The stamp should have the appropriate number though. but if it doesn't i would be cautious of heavy loads, particularly if you are only using the 3/4 shank.
A visual inspection on a regular basis should be sufficient but check the tightness too, they sometimes come loose, I've seen that happen before. Also have snapped a ball before but it was a rusty old POS and it was one of those hollow ones they used to make. should have known better! Was the only time I've ever seen safety chains in action. They do work.

Back