Bait selection help

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by Brett83, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Brett83

Brett83 New Member

Hey I plan one going to nootka sounds on June 21. Does anybody know if it's possible to buy herring there or should I pack it up in a cooler from the city. Any suggestions on what bait to use around that time of year.

2. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Well-Known Member

Most people would buy it in Campbell River if stores were open when passing through.

littlechucky likes this.
  3. greenhornet

greenhornet Active Member

Hi Brett 83
    You can buy anchovies,large herring at either Moutcha bay resort or critter cove. If you want red label or green label herring best to go to Berry’s bait and tackle they have a wide variety. I’ve fished Nootka for 20 years. Guys I know at Moutcha have been getting some realky nice fish out by the lighthouse and beano creek area. I prefer to salt my herring, anchovies for about 5 days before I use them. I’ve posted detailed information on this website if you do a search you should be able to pick up some really useful information. I’m heading up on the 15-28 up to Esperanza can hardly wait !!

Tight lines
    Billydoo

4. chinnok

chinnok Active Member

Bullshit, it wasn't 20 years ago when you were lost in the fog north of Flemming Island!! LOL

5. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Active Member

Ill be up in nootka then! shoot me a PM. The last couple years small herring has been the ticket for me..

6. Ceilidh69

Ceilidh69 Active Member

Moutcha Bay does usually have good supplies. Stock up on smaller anchovies in Campbell River - last year no one had any out there.

7. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Well-Known Member

Last year dark coloured hootchies outfished Anchovy many times to one.

8. Chuck

Chuck Active Member

I’d suggest if your going to buy bait not to buy while in Nootka, unless of course your willing to pay extra for them! Otherwise go for it..

9. greenhornet

greenhornet Active Member

Doug aka chinook
    Lol that was in Barkley I always went to Nootka in July Barkley in August. I fished Barkley since I was 19 never missed a year if I remember right they closed Barkley mid or late 90s for a year or two ? Maybe someone on here remembers the exact years. Anyways up in Esperanza now and couldn’t be happier.

Tight lines
    Billydoo