Bad fishing...or bad fishermen...?

Degree of Freedom

This will likely cause a stir...but I'm a bit tired of the whining.

Been reading in a lot of threads about how bad or average at best the fishing has been this year.
I can't speak for anything but the ECVI and early July Ucluelet, as that is all I have first hand experience with this year and I'm not one to post hearsay...
Myself and my small network of fishing acquaintances have had great years in areas such as ucluelet, Parksville, comox, Campbell river and areas in between.

Trying fishing techniques I've never done before, my season has been nothing short of incredible.
Granted the sizes haven't been great, but the numbers are fantastic.
You may ask if I'm having so much success why haven't I been posting reports?
Simple answer is I got tired of thousands of users taking information off this site while only a handful actually contribute useful information.

Two pieces of advice, take it how you will....

1) if what you're doing isn't working, try evolving...
2) be friendly with as many people who are better fishermen than you as you can, and pay attention

Great post DoF :cool:.

I haven't posted as much either this year due to all the negativity, hate, and selfishness posted on this forum.

My year has been a great one as well.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to suggest an addition to point#1.

1) if what you're doing isn't working, try evolving...or trailering your boat to ECVI.

Because that is where larger numbers have been, relative to the recent past. Where you have been fishing is the most important contributor to success. Location, location, location doesn't only apply to real estate.

More fish present = more catches. Fewer fish present = fewer catches. You catch fish on what you have down at the time of the hook up. Any hootchie, spoon, plug, chovie trolled at the right depth and speed will produce fish, as long as they are under you. Salmon are not much smarter than a telephone pole, but their olfactory memory is tremendous; this gives them their homing ability. For some reason, olfactory memory took the majority on a different course than norm this year.

P.S. #2 is a very good point though.

P.P.S. I fished WCVI only and my freezer is full...just took more time. No complaints...

P.P.P.S. Think I may scent more lures...

I'll agree mostly with you, however ask 20 guys fishing French Creek over the past month and I bet 18 will say the fishing sucks, or is just ok....ask me and I'll tell you it has been nothing short of astounding.
My point is more that just because you're not catching fish doesn't mean they're not there and just because there are tons of fish doesn't mean you'll catch them.

Point taken, I fully admit there are variables...bananas on board ain't one though :). There are certainly ways to make yourself more 'productive', but location is NUMBER 1!

I go to Nootka in late July and Bamfield in late August because the migrating/incoming run of fish are there and I catch more fish when they are there. My success (or rate of success) is usually relevant to the run size i.e. the amount of fish under me, when I am fishing. The retailers may like me to believe otherwise...

Great thread..........our area has been nothing short of spectacular for almost the whole season except for 1 week during early June.

It's still good with limits for 3 or 4 guests on Chinooks and halibut almost every day.

Often times these threads are little more than commercials for professional guides.
You will find most complaining about poor fishing are the Sidney - Victoria to Renfrew fishermen.
It's certainly not because they don't know how to fish, but it's because this season has been one of the poorest ever in this area!
Just ask some of the guides fishing out of Victoria Harbour.
There have been pockets of fish here and there and some good to excellent fishing for sure, but for most it sucks.

well...like I said, I don't comment on areas I don't know, and I know nothing about SVI. Plenty of the whining has come from the areas I mentioned, and I can assure you there have been plenty of fish in those areas this year...
Guys unhappy with their local fishing always have the option of hooking up their trailer and trying somewhere else...the Malahat is not Mt. Everest

Good fishermen sometimes experience poor fishing, and poor fishermen sometimes experience phenomenal fishing! It would be hard to spot a trend when looking at various area's over a single year. I find it hard to believe last years good fishers are in some area's now bad fishers! Seems like a stretch to me! Anyways to those of you that had a good year congrats!

Good fishermen sometimes experience poor fishing, and poor fishermen sometimes experience phenomenal fishing! It would be hard to spot a trend when looking at various area's over a single year. I find it hard to believe last years good fishers are in some area's now bad fishers! Seems like a stretch to me! Anyways to those of you that had a good year congrats!

True that....

Numbers of fish in Sooke / Victoria Waters is weak this year.

Yes, by changing tactics, covering more area than normal and fishing harder I have had a decent year.
But there is no question that numbers are down.

So I hear you about lots of complaining and agree that the better fishermen are catching a few fish but it has been a tough year for our area.

I have had many days of great water conditions and good company on board and have only had 1 skunk day so I see that as a good season.

Tips

We are seeing good numbers here in the Comox Valley, just not many large mature fish. The fish really seemed late here this year. This does look good for us next year when anglers are taking so many 3 year fish.

X3. Though on another point at the beginning of this thread, it is kinda annoying how so few actually post reports. If I go fishing, I post about it. Period. Every little bit helps!

However, fisherman aren't always the best about their reporting even when the offer something. You might get a guy saying "fishing sucks" who actually hooked into 12 fish in a day, but because he only landed one..."the fishing sucked". Well, no, clearly the fish are around, you just aren't landing them. On the same token, a guy who slays them on a day nobody else is catching anything should realize his success isn't necessarily indicative of "outstanding" fishing in the area. I definitely take every report with a grain of salt, or only as a small point of reference.

The WCVI has been slower this year, no doubt. Definitely a good year to break out of the norms and try something new!

Aren't the 3 year fish your catching carrying fully developed eggs/milt? Been getting lots of 10-15's and they are all "mature" fish (meaning they will spawn this year not next) they are just not the size we want them to be.

It's been really hit and miss for me but overall I'd say its been a good year. Thankful to be doing good when people are saying things like worst year ever off victoria/sooke which is the only places I fished this year.

The milt and eggs are smaller then my pinky. That's why I do my best to release them. That being said if I have a guest that has not fished much this year they take one home.

Personally I'll call it like I see it.
I read every single fishing report posted on this site every day for everywhere. (I have the time).

I also go by what people I know tell me and offsite interaction.

I'll bet anybody here that more tackle goes on out my boat on a fishing trip than you own.

It's not uncommon for me to try 15 to 25 setups on a given day (if the fish aren't responding). I try lots of stuff and I think outside the box.

Lots of small fish at times allright........but that doesn't warrant "epic".

Trying tons of stuff is really un-necessary if there's good numbers of fish around......I've had days where I used the same lure/flasher all day...no need to change it up.

In going through my records/log books and comparing to other years.......... I don't see anything at all period as this year being "epic" or even close.

You always get guys who do better on average than others......that doesn't mean the rest of them all suck at fishing......many I know are pretty damn good fishermen.

I stick to what I know in the saltwater, stubborn? Yep. Lucky? Yep

Rivers, I will adapt and years of experience get me into fish when others cant get a sniff. The fall run is here so time will tell what the run is like in the fresh water but I think its going to be decent. Breakdowns kept us off the water for a good part of the season but we did muster up 11 Fish and a whack load of prawns so thats good enough for me.

Back