Back model years Merc/Yami

Big Zeke

I'm considering a possible engine replacement on my Campion and a conversion from an I/O to an outboard. I have been keeping an eye on several back model year engines available at some of the BassPro locations in Canada and in the States and some of this stuff looks interesting. There are several Mercs available in the 2005-2008 range between 175-250 HP with list prices around 11k (actual range is like 10k for an older 175 up to 11800 for an '08 225) and fewer Yamis in a similar size and price. I assume these are bare engines (need prop, controls etc) but even at this price it looks interesting. I have heard I should avoid the early Optimaxs but these engines are available as other models.

Any thoughts on going this way? It seems like a ton of savings off MSRPs. I have been thru the conversion debate and am OK with the costs as long as the work is well done. The additional floorspace isn't compelling, just looking for a cheaper alternative if I end up looking at pumping big bucks in the engine or drive (4.3 4bbl with Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive).

Thanks for any guidance.
Zeke

Not familiar with mercs. Make sure you do your research on 03-06 Yamis in the 200 225 and 250 era. Google Yamiha corrsion for a start and see if you want to gamble.

Nothing wrong with the early OPTI’s as long as they had the recall work done on them. Have the dealer run the numbers and they can tell you. These motors have been used extensively in commercial and military applications in Canada and many have thousands of hours on them without significant problems and they have amazing gas milage. Unlike a lot of the Yamis; the Salt Water Series Optis are extremely corrosion resistant, especially if you are planning on leaving your boat in the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back