Axle shaft pitted

fish brain

Crew Member
Hi guys,
I didn't repack my trailer bearings last year and now my axle shaft is pitted right at the seal.I haven't sanded it out yet, but it already looks like it's going to be rough enough to take out the seal pretty quickly. Does anyone have any tricks for resurfacing the axle shaft? Maybe a thin coat of JB weld ? any other ideas? The shaft is welded to the axle, so it's not a case of just bolting a new one on.

Yeah, the pitting will damage the seals and allow grease out and water in. In the past, I have replaced the axle when this damage occurred. Check at a trailer shop to see if stainless sleeves might be available to slide over the damaged area then mount suitable seals.

You could try JB it would be worth a try. Depending on your axle type there are places that make sleeves but I’m not sure you can get a hold of one. I’ve ran some pretty pitted axles over the years and can’t say as it was all that bad. Remember if it’s full of grease nothing can get in its that simple and as long as the seal isn’t crazy worn or tears out it will hold grease. I would probly polish it could and set news seals in it and just keep it greased well, you’ll get good mileage out of it.

I had the same problem on my old trailer.
I tried smoothing out with emery paper but it was rough enough
to keep chewing up seals.
replacing spindle would be best bet.

Buy a seal with a speedy sleeve. New seal surface that gets hammered on the pitted one. Put a little high temp silicone between the sleeve and the spindle
Thanks Viking, I completely forgot about speedy sleeves. I used one once before with good success. forehead slap emogie

A stainless speedi-sleeve will give you a like new surface to install your new double lip seal on. The biggest problem with installing one is often the installation tool that comes with the speedi-sleeve is not deep enough to install the sleeve over the spindle. You may be able to find a piece of pipe that is the same size as the installation tool, perhaps with minor modifications. If not get a machine shop to turn one for you. Much better than welding on new spindles. Once you have a suitable installation tool to hand, clean area where it will be installed removing burrs etc. Using JB weld is a good idea and you can put it on, let it harden and then sand it to correct size; or put on and install the sleeve before it starts to harden.

If you want to save some money before you purchase the speedisleves, which are pricey FYI, I would go with a general purpose epoxy before JB weld. In my opinion it lays down a little smoother and is relatively easy to sand without gumming you your sandpaper/emery cloth. First clean up the spindle with emery cloth and wipe it down with brake clean or solvent, after that apply your epoxy, let it set up and sand it down with a fine grit sandpaper. Once it’s smoothed out you’ll be good to go. Many of the better epoxies have 3000+psi strength properties, are water and chemical resistant, and well as high heat tolerances.

Wouldn't waste my time with either epoxy or JB Weld you just cant get the surface true with emery after that . Speedi sleeves are a long term repair and will outlast the original seal surface of the spindle as its Stainless and not just machined steel. Being stuck on the side of the road during a vacation because of a blown bearing and now screwed spindle is not worth the risk in my books. Buy once cry once and done

Welding shops can spray weld...did this to an obsolete drive shaft for my 9.9 Yamaha. The gearcase seal had worn a groove into the stainless shaft causing the gearcase to get sea water in it. I took it to Clarke Engineering. Looked like new when done and no leaks.

Welding shops can spray weld...did this to an obsolete drive shaft for my 9.9 Yamaha. The gearcase seal had worn a groove into the stainless shaft causing the gearcase to get sea water in it. I took it to Clarke Engineering. Looked like new when done and no leaks.

Not sure if that would work in this application, As far as I know after spray welding works well but needs to be machined after application. Might prove to be very difficult in this instance as the spindle is welded on. It would have to be removed and then rewelded after machining.

My truck's rear axle seals were weeping, had grooves and pitting where the seals ride. I used Timken Redi-Sleeves and Loctite 603 for good measure. No issues 20,000km+ on.

A speedy sleeve is like 50 bucks no hassle and spending time trying to make it perfectly round no brainer really it is holding your very expensive boat right??

yes spray weld a shaft, for a spindle another vote for a Speedy sleeve .
Once you find the size google the part number you will be amazed at the price range , buy 1 extra for a spare make sure it's stainless.
Polish off all the ridges and make it as smooth as possible so there are no high spots that will distort the sleeve.
Use a bonder like the 603 mentioned, I used locktite liquid pipe thread sealant PST which has a locking propetry .
I made a tool from a piece of muffler tubing that fit 100 % mark where the seal lip contacts now on the spindle so you get it in the right spot .
Don't worry about removing the drive flange used for installation unless it causes interferance
good advice above

Speedy sleeve's pretty expensive. I have used these with pretty good success and they come in different sizes.
https://www.pacifictrailers.com/products/stainless-steel-spindle-sleeve-for-1-3-8-trailer-spindles

Interesting, quite a good price. Did your trailer come with these sleeves already installed? From what I understand these are not repair sleeves, but are replacement sleeves to use where one has been installed at the manufacturer. Would be curious if they could be used instead of speedi - sleeves.

Get at least a digital vernier calliper and measure. My seal surfaces were pretty bad and not quite a press fit anymore so they got glued on so a repair part and not original. For the price of a couple spedi sleeves you can almost buy new axles and that would have been my preferred repair however for the time being..

Back