Awesome - "Must See" - Fishfarming Film!

Oh look Sockeyefry, it's not just Alex. I guess you'll be busy trying to discredit all these biologists. Get busy, it might take you a while.....

CR,

Haven't had a chance to yet, but I will. Although I am not expecting anything new or earth shattering. Just the same ole BS regurgitated by the Anti's

Sockeye, you can call it bullsheet all you want but if I had my way even factory farming would get my kick in the pants, no one is better. They are just making a mess and under the pretense of feeding a hungry world. The only ones being fed are rich pockets.[8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

Just as I thought, 16 minutes of the same BS. The film maker obviously went to the Micheal Moore school of misinformation and innuendo.

Cheers All,

I am a high school teacher with 4 university degrees, own and operate a fishing charter company as well as a company that does supervision for the courts.

In this day of increased environmental enlightenment and access to real and relevent biological information from most of the highest and brightest academic sources available, it is baffling that anyone could support fish farming in British Columbia. I understand that when the government does it is usually due to elected officials, with no training in the subject, simply bending to financial incentives.

However when the members of our society support fish farming I must question where their inducements come from for certainly there is nothing in the fish farming literature nor scientific reports that would lend support for any sane person in allowing fish farms in our beautiful British Columbia.

I would go one step further and suggest that when enough scientific and legal material is collected to demonstably prove in court that fish farms are negatively affecting our environment that this action should be done. The end result should be that fish farms - both collectively as well as individually - as well as elected government officials, who have failed in their duty to the people as well as the environment, should be held financially responsible for repair for that damage. As well there should be added such a punitive financial amount that anyone in the future would think twice about any possible damage to our environment.

And, before anyone questions my reasons for posting, I will explain. I am a fishing guide but I am foremost a teacher. I believe that we are here as stewarts of our environment and have a duty to the next generation. Simply put: We must pass to them our environment in as good or better shape than we received it. We have the technology but it appears we lack the will. This is simply not acceptable.

Most sincerely,

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com

Ever notice they get hammered on this forum ?
Why would you get into a discussion with a large group that will bring up the race card in every argument ?
They are people like us with feelings and emotions , they for the greater part are as concerned as we are over the happenings in our waters ; but would you venture an opinion and identify yourself as first nations knowing someone will run the no rights / hate / anti FN card at you ?
I don't think so.

AL

Whoa there Alleycat. There are the First Nations, commercial and sporties which are the three players in the salmon industry. I bring them up not because of race but as one of the parties involved. I would love to see all 3 parties join together to battle these evil fishfarms.

Some FN Tribes are active amongst the opposition to the net-pen business. Trouble is, like us WASPS they too are fractured (mostly because of misinformation about the industry being spread around) and many succumb to bribery from industry and government and are actually operating salmon-farms.

I've tried on more than one occasion to contact various FN Chief's etc. and received no response. Can't blame em' I suppose; us Whitey's have worked long and hard at cultivating distrust between us...

Personally, I wish there were more FN folks on here like FA then we could rally more of the Tribes up and down the Coast to ramp-up the opposition to bring a hasty end to this tragic bull-****.

Ever notice how when a particular Tribe here or there starts pounding the drums politicians' shake in their boots?

Actually there are FN's which are active fish farmers, and others which have accepted fishfarming in their territioeies. there are a few vocal FN's like Bob Chamberlain which give the false impression that all FN's are against Fish farming.

Sorry Fishing Guide, there is a large amount of relevent scientific research which supports fish farming as does the simple fact that all the dire predictions of wild salmon extinction go unfufilled year after year. As part of your guide service do you allow sports to take fish for food or do you follow strict catch and release? Are you using your podium in the class romm to further spread the word of the "evil fish farms" to quote Brisco?

Cheers Sockeyefry,

Unfortunately I have found no creditable 'scientific research' that even begins to support fish farming. In fact the overwhelming evidence condemns the existence of fish farms and especially those in open nets. The information that advocates for the existence of fish farms is so biased and relies totally on the financing of fish farms that it is totally without merrit.

I am not quite sure what difference it makes if my clients retain or release their legally caught fish? The issue here is not whether or not a guide, or a sportsfisherman, catches fish but the existence of fish farms and the issues associated with them. However, since you asked, I was out today and my guests caught and retained one 20 lbs spring as well as 8 large dungeness.

As a teacher I do not 'spread the word of the evil fish farms' as that is neither my job nor what my students expect or require. What I do is provide the information from both scientific as well as biased sources and, through discussions and experiments, investigate the issues thoroughly. At the end of the exercise the students make his or her decisions based soley on the information they have considered.

You may be pleased to know that we have some amazing students in our educational system and they know how to evaluate information. Since they are our future we can rest knowing that, when they make the decisions, we will be in very capable hands. You may be distressed to know that I have yet to have one student side with the placement of fish farms - in their current form - on the British Columbia coast.

Fishing Guide

Brisco :
I can see your breakdown of parties and do not disagree I only make the observation in this text that FN on here are viewed askance and with racial overtones by some members on this forum.
My point is this ........ why would you stick your head into a meat grinder if you only wanted to enjoy the pain !
The trouble with this way of communication is that we cannot indicate subtleties of delivery , and my intent was to make an observation but with overtones related to our past idiocies on this site.

AL

quote:Originally posted by alley cat

Brisco :
I can see your breakdown of parties and do not disagree I only make the observation in this text that FN on here are viewed askance and with racial overtones by some members on this forum.
My point is this ........ why would you stick your head into a meat grinder if you only wanted to enjoy the pain !
The trouble with this way of communication is that we cannot indicate subtleties of delivery , and my intent was to make an observation but with overtones related to our past idiocies on this site.

AL
Alley Cat,

Point taken.And Fish farms are [}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]

Good discussions on First Nations started on this thread by Brisco.

I've been thinking that the reasons there are few (if any) First Nations who actively post on this forum for a number of reasons (please excuse the generalizing - we're talking about overall proportions, here):

1/ There still is a large gulf in interests and sustained communications between what we define as the so-called "white", and "modern" world (often more affluent, but not exclusively so), and those on reserve. There is some distrust of the outside world "off-reserve",
2/ Most First Nations are rarely ever defined as "sporties"; and most often fish with gill nets, dip nets, or traps. Most First Nations do not understand some of the "recreational interests" of the sportsfishing lobby, including catch and release,
3/ Many First Nations are largely insulated and isolated from so-called "mainstream" events; unless it is an urgency that affects their village and/or traditional lands. Some do not have ready access to the internet.

All of these reasons combined; means that First Nations participation on this forum is very sparse indeed.

However, when their way of life and/or traditional territories are threatened by industrial development such as open net-cage fish farms - they have been very organized and participatory in that opposition (something sockeyefry did not mention).

There have been mass protests by First Nations against fish farms at:

The Omega hatchery at Ocean Falls,
Quite number of sites and occasions along the Skeena River,
Twice there were delegations sent to Norway, one met with royalty,
Other demonstrations in and around Vancouver Island.
Demonstrations to various aquaculture committees.

They do care for wild salmon - like the sporties, commercial fishermen, and others.

Wow, thanks for the info Agentaqua. Its the first I've heard of these protests by F.N. Lets get the 3 parties together and send these fish back to the Atlantic where nature put them in the first place.

Fish farms are [}:)]

Indeed Brisco, that's what it'll take to move Government to oust this menace from our waterways, a well organized, well focused assault from all segments of society. 'Brother's in arms' as it were...

Agent;
Incidentally, the very first commercial attempt at fish-farming was initiated in 1971 by Crown Zellerback at Ocean Falls. Although it failed, I find it ironic that it was an American outfit that set it up in our water back then and now we have a Norwegian outfit doing it here to feed Americans'.

The ticket now, I believe, is to let each and every American know what is happening up here every time they buy farmed-salmon. No small feat, that's for sure.

We have to do something about it very soon because with the added pressure the salmon-farmers are inflicting on Pacific Salmon coupled with chronic-incompetence from the DFO and the Province, soon there will be no Pacific Salmon left and we'll have no choice but to grow them in cages.

'Golly - Sgt. Carter... could this be the real agenda?'

Yes you figured it out LH, the real agenda. Boy sure can't put one over on you.

Fishing Guide,

If you haven's found any evidence which suppoprts fish farming than you either aren't looking very hard or you do not want to find anything which would upset your neat little opinion.

If you are so intent on saving the wild salmon why do you allow your sports to kill them?

The students are against fish farms because that is what you tell them to be. Shame on you for not allowing them to really make up their own minds. If you really want to teach them both sides than contact the BC salmon farmers assoc. for info.

Agent,

Yes you are right there are FN which oppose fish farming. I never said there wasn't however one of the delegations to Norway was positive towards fish farming.

Yep, can't overlook the 1000 or so medial paying jobs the industry brings to the people of BC.

And yup, if and when FG decides to contact the SFABC they'll roll out a figure of several thousand BC jobs created by their environmentally-tragic escapades in our waters.

Even our own Provincial Government lies about industry employment stats in an effort to justify this carnage. I remember when then Minister Van Dongen trounced out a figure of 9 to 12,000 new jobs being created by the industry back when government lifted the moratorium on expansion of the industry.

Lies & deceit! Sickens me to no end...

Back