ATTENTION: JOIN THE WAR ON FISHFARMING!

Little Hawk

Howdy,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

My name is Terry Anderson. I'm a BC Sportfisherman, father of two, and relative newcomer to the SFBC Forum. I am a 51 yr/old self-employed carpenter. I am NOT affilliated or representative of ANY organization.

The singular intention of this post is: TO GATHER NAMES (A REGISTRY) AND BUILD A MEMBERSHIP/ALLIANCE OF FELLOW SPORTFISHERMEN(WOMAN) WHO WILL UNITE AND BRING FORCE TO BEAR WITH THE EXPRESS PURPOSE OF ENDING NET-PEN FISHFARMING ON THE PACIFIC COAST OF CANADA.

IN THE NAME OF CONSERVATION AND THE KNOWN DIRECT-THREATS THAT NET-PEN FISHFARMING POSES TO OUR 'WILD' PACIFIC SALMON - I IMPLORE THE S.F.B.C. STAFF/MODERATORS TO EMBED THIS POST AT (OR NEAR) THE TOP OF BOTH THE SALT-WATER FORUM AND THE OPEN-FORUM SO AS TO ATTRACT AS GREAT A RESPONSE TO THIS PLIGHT AS POSSIBLE IN THE NEAR TERM.

Note: Fishfarming - herein, refers to the net-pen version practiced in the ocean off the West Coast of Canada.

<center>***</center>

Are you tired of listening to the never-ending stream of rhetoric from our elected officials concerning the state of net-pen fishfarming in British Columbia?

Have you had enough of hearing those same elected officials sing the praises of an industry so despicable, so destructive and threatening to our coastal ecology and Wild Pacific Salmon, that it, rightfully so, should be classed accordingly alongside habitat-destruction and over-fishing as a primary contributing factor to the rampant decline in wild Pacific salmon populations?

Are you, my fellow Sportfisherman, so incensed by this whole fiasco that you are now sufficiently motivated to do whatever it takes to rid our pristine Coastline of this menace - once and for all - in order to help ensure that there ARE WILD-FISH LEFT FOR OUR KIDS AND GRANDCHILDREN?

If you are ready to go to WAR with our Government and the Foreigners' who control about 90% of the industry, rest assured you are not alone my friend. Ironically, same as it is the 'Hunters' who are the primary contributors ensuring the long-term survivability of big-game populations in BC, so too, it will be the 'BC Sportfishermen' - the men, women and children - who chase these great-fish with rod in hand that will unite to drive the final nail in the fishfarmers-coffin on the Coast of BC.

None before us, nor after us, will be more passionate or fiercly resolute in our drive to save these magnificent fish from the hands of incompetence and greed. The passion to do something about it, has always been there; sadly ORGANIZATION hasn't.

NOW, IT'S TIME WE GET ORGANIZED!

WARNING: As I have previously been actively involved in the opposition to net-pen fishfarming I can assure you that:

a) It will not be an easy battle to win. There are big offshore corporations with big money to throw at defending their dispicable practices. I suspect also that money has changed-hands under the table. I'm of the firm belief that people of power and political clout have been paid to act in support of this industry, or, at the very least - to turn a blind eye to its destructive practices.

b) After being confronted by their most worthy opponent to date - the fishfarmers will respond in kind with a heavily financed media blitz touting the usual BS about how many jobs the industry creates, how environmentally-sensitive the industry is etc.; ad nausea.

c) We will have to be prepared to impliment and embrace new ideas, to walk on previously untried ground by previous opposition movements.

d) We will need to attract into our ranks the support of influential people, people of political rapport, and celebrity. Although it will be the 'little-people' - the Sportfishermen like you and me - that comprise the driving-force behind this movement, I believe any and all help from people of elevated scientific or social status should be welcomed to the cause.

Do not join this movement if all you can contribute is the occasional 'point-and-click of a mouse'. I'm calling upon those of you who, like myself, are ready to committ both time and energy in a concerted - well organized - effort to rid British Columbia's coastline of all net-pen fishfarming operations. If you are not 'truly-passionate' about doing all that you can to ensure that there ARE WILD-FISH LEFT FOR OUR KIDS, take a seat on the sidelines and watch the fireworks. If you are still 'on the fence' on the issue, I encourage you to do as I did - research the Industry then take a stance. We could sure use your help, or, on the other hand, the Fishfarmers' will certainly need your support while they fight for their very existance.

My appeal here is a 'grass-roots' plea to my fellow Sportfishermen.
I have never formed an organization like this before and I need all the help I can get.

OBJECTIVES & ITINERARY:

Objective</u>: To organize the powerful, expansive, and passionate Sportfishing community of BC to bring immediate force to bear on Government and the Industry to end net-pen fishfarming on the Pacific Coast of Canada.

ITINERARY:

a) Create a registry: Done. I have created an email directory on my laptop for the purpose of assembling names and email addresses of those individuals who wish to join this scrape with the fishfarmers and Government.(I realize that fishfarmers themselves could easily infiltrate this organization and or, wreak havock with my email. I am prepared to deal with this if it happens and am prepared to move ahead... "We shall defend our Wild Fishes - whatever the cost may be - we shall never surrender!")

b) Once sufficient membership numbers have been amassed, I will call an inaugural meeting here in Victoria to establish an executive or management team and plot the direction of the organization. I think all opposed to fishfarming should be welcomed to this organization; we fishermen are not the only ones passionately opposed to it. (I am adamant that this new organization remain strictly 'NON-PROFIT'.)

c) In the next two weeks or so I will commence the drafting of a new article (hopefully a feature article) on the state of fishfarming in BC (now, as compared to five-yrs. ago when my previous article was published in BC Outdoors/Sportfishing Magazine). This would also be - with a subscriber circulation of around 70,000 - an excellent platform to alert other perspective members to our organization/cause.

I urge you - my fellow Sportfishermen - to join with me and charge ahead with fishing rods in hand - clutched like a sword - as we endeavor to liberate both our Coastal Waterways and our Beloved Pacific Salmon of this environmentally filthy menace.

TO JOIN THE 'BC-SPORTFISHERMANS ALLIANCE': WAR ON FISHFARMING

SEND ME A BRIEF EMAIL WITH YOUR FULL NAME AND AN EMAIL CONTACT ADDRESS

silversaw@telus.net

Out of respect for the SFBC Organization, all future contact with members concerning the state or activities of this new organization will be done through my email. This is not to discourage anyone from posting future fishfarming topics.

Cheers,
Terry Anderson
Victoria, BC.

Count me in!

Lets get the ball rolling boys[^]

Hope we all can make a difference

vic

Howdy,

If the good people at SFBC refuse to embed this thread at or near the top of this forum's index page I will be forced to manually 'bump' this topic each and every day until every last member has had an opportunity to enlist in the war-on-fishfarming!

Today the ARMY stands at: 10</u>

<center>***</center>

Gypsea's</u>: Have you emailed me your contact info?

Blueorca</u>; Thankyou!

I have given considerable thought to the issue of the Industry's response to this initiative. Indeed, they will respond.

Three things come to mind around this that help me sleep easier.

1) I don't give a FLYIN'-FU#* what any fishfarmer thinks about the prospect of getting 'punted' out of BC's waters and having to seek out new frontiers to pollute and infect with diseases/parasites and escaped non-indigenous fish!

2) If you, Blueorca - my fellow Sportfisherman, are even a fraction as passionate about ending fishfarming as I am, then you my friend - are a force to be reckoned with!</u>

Imagine the collective energy of HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of us banded together as we fight - to tip the scales back in favor of the 'Wild' fish - to protect a way of life and a pasttime we all hold near and dear to our hearts. Trust me, if the odd fishfarmer ends up sprinkled amoungst us, they will soon realize they are not welcome here and in the face of such passionate resolve and fervent opposition - they will turn tail and run.

3) The fishfarmers have, over the years, carefully cultivated their image in the public-eye through a well-financed campaign of misinformation and media manipulation. In addition to the politicians who are 'in-bed' with them, image and public-opinion are everything. They are keenly aware of just how-thin the ice is they walk on. They are not about to do something overtly stupid or illegal(besides lying) in the face of opposition.

These things matter not to me Blueorca. On behalf of my Children and my Grandchildren I have made the decision to see this through and do what I can to eliminate this threat from our Coast.

It is not money that drives me to fight this and, trust me - this makes fishfarmers very uncomfortable.

Cheers,
Terry

Hey Little Hawk: I scence your passion and commitment to this issue. I have very similar feelings on this subject as well, although I must concur with Time on the aformentioned suggestion.

Hey Little Hawk: I scence your passion and commitment to this issue. I have very similar feelings on this subject as well, although I must concur with Time on the aformentioned suggestion.

Terry, one person you might be interested in getting in touch with is Rafe Mair, the ex talk show host from CKNW. He is an avid fisherman who is vehemently opposed to fish farms. As you may know from the past his opinions on certain issues have been heard by many. e.g. the Meech Lake Accord.
You can Google him http://www.rafeonline.com/ I'm sure he is a busy man but for this issue he may be interested in helping out.

Thanks for all your effort and good luck, Give em hell!!

Dave Shirley

Terry, one person you might be interested in getting in touch with is Rafe Mair, the ex talk show host from CKNW. He is an avid fisherman who is vehemently opposed to fish farms. As you may know from the past his opinions on certain issues have been heard by many. e.g. the Meech Lake Accord.
You can Google him http://www.rafeonline.com/ I'm sure he is a busy man but for this issue he may be interested in helping out.

Thanks for all your effort and good luck, Give em hell!!

Dave Shirley

Keep going TERRY sounds great and agree we need to YELL REALLY LOUD I thinks it the only way they will change things keep up the good work!!!!!!

Wolf

Keep going TERRY sounds great and agree we need to YELL REALLY LOUD I thinks it the only way they will change things keep up the good work!!!!!!

Wolf

Howdy,

D'stoy; It was in fact (if memory serves) Raif - or one of his CKNW talk-radio listeners - who brought up the topic of my BC Outdoors/Sportfishing Magazine/Fishfarming article during a 'fishfarming' call-in session back in 02'. He may even remember the article.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement!

I will need it - the water ahead is much rougher. I will check my balance - then check my grip on the wheel and throttle.

Trim the bow up - hammer the throttle!

THE 'ALLIANCE' STANDS AT: 13</u>

Climb-aboard!

Cheers,
Terry

Howdy,

D'stoy; It was in fact (if memory serves) Raif - or one of his CKNW talk-radio listeners - who brought up the topic of my BC Outdoors/Sportfishing Magazine/Fishfarming article during a 'fishfarming' call-in session back in 02'. He may even remember the article.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement!

I will need it - the water ahead is much rougher. I will check my balance - then check my grip on the wheel and throttle.

Trim the bow up - hammer the throttle!

THE 'ALLIANCE' STANDS AT: 13</u>

Climb-aboard!

Cheers,
Terry

quote:TERRY sounds great and agree we need to YELL REALLY LOUD I thinks it the only way they will change things keep up the good work!!!!!!

I second that and lets actually make something happen this time - I've seen a lot of talk about change in my time, but this feels like the closest thing to the real deal.

quote:TERRY sounds great and agree we need to YELL REALLY LOUD I thinks it the only way they will change things keep up the good work!!!!!!

I second that and lets actually make something happen this time - I've seen a lot of talk about change in my time, but this feels like the closest thing to the real deal.

Good on you, Terry.

I applaud you for your zeal and dedication to help protect our native fish stocks. Unlike others, I think this forum is completely appropriate to discuss these important conservation issues.

I live on the mainland, so I wouldn't be a great candidate to join your organization. It's not very likely that I would hop the ferry to attend your meetings. If you are looking for forum members to add their voice to yours (if only by email) let me know. I have no problem firing off a letter to the appropriate politicians.

I wish you, and all the the others who take on this battle the best of luck. Keep up the good work.

Regards: TheBigGuy

Good on you, Terry.

I applaud you for your zeal and dedication to help protect our native fish stocks. Unlike others, I think this forum is completely appropriate to discuss these important conservation issues.

I live on the mainland, so I wouldn't be a great candidate to join your organization. It's not very likely that I would hop the ferry to attend your meetings. If you are looking for forum members to add their voice to yours (if only by email) let me know. I have no problem firing off a letter to the appropriate politicians.

I wish you, and all the the others who take on this battle the best of luck. Keep up the good work.

Regards: TheBigGuy

Awww come on I will pick you up on the way I'm coming from Washington state ;):D

Back