Atlantic salmon blood through an effluent pipe - directly into Brown’s Bay

Even if you knew about an out break on a salmon farm up until recently you can not know how this virus transmits into its environment. This work is underway however although activist are very eager to use out breaks with a lack of info to support their cause.
Well thank you BN for adequately demonstrating the defensive mindset and resistance of the FF lobby to transparency and honesty - the reason why we have more questions than answers. That and some well paid lobbyists and lawyers in Ottawa talking to the Fisheries Minister and the Department of Justice.

So... for whom does the lack of data - the lack of an environmental assessment - the lack of fish disease info really work for?

Well thank you BN for adequately demonstrating the defensive mindset and resistance of the FF lobby to transparency and honesty - the reason why we have more questions than answers. That and some well paid lobbyists and lawyers in Ottawa talking to the Fisheries Minister and the Department of Justice.

So... for whom does the lack of data - the lack of an environmental assessment - the lack of fish disease info really work for?

The picture you paint suggesting a lack of data/ assessment and fish decease info is not necessarily the case as much as you will present it as a blanket statement. As I have stated earlier there are problems with releasing incomplete data. I dont think its right either but that is where we are at and why you feel the way you do.

As always you want to take my ideas and inflate them into responses from industry. You just have to take my word for it I'm just a guy participating on a fishing forum that loves fishing and happens to be a fish farmer. I can be held accountable for that here. Certainly industry would not hire a guy like me with my bad grammar and spelling to represent them. lol I must have good arguments tho for you to put me up on a pedestal like you do with the industry representative, pr hack, etc etc comments consistently. Thanks for that respect however that is not the case.
You agent with your anonymous participation here on this forum do not have to be accountable the way I do here do you? How convienient and is certainly not a demonstration of transparency and honesty. Just an observation, not a complaint or argument.

One more time. I am not making a comparison I am only proposing the possibility of risk on this issue by looking at the whole picture. I am not asking anyone to change their habits despite a lack of defendable data or peer review science stating it is safe to do so. Im really trying to keep it about wild salmon which often get brushed aside as soon as there is a fish farm in the picture. This topic is a perfect example where the self describe care givers of wild salmon are more than willing to look the other way.

Even if you knew about an out break on a salmon farm up until recently you can not know how this virus transmits into its environment. This work is underway however although activist are very eager to use out breaks with a lack of info to support their cause.

Perhaps if there wasn't an aggressive lobby via funding and activism etc that more than willing to bend the truth there might be more transparency. I hate to say it but thats where we are in the world today. Incomplete information is gold for activists. Look at this topic. The videos and news articles thrives on images without facts or quantification leaving the consumer of those stores to react with a total lack of objectivity. That can make you blood boil but if you are baffled by this situation then I cant help you. Its pretty obvious to me. I dont necessarily agree with it but its where we are at and until activist get very honest the situation isn't going to change much and you agent are stuck with conspiracy theories.

This is actually spot on. We need to accept the fact that fish framing will be one of the methods for consumers to gain access to fish proteins. What we need is a way of accommodating the farms whilst protecting the native species. Lighting our hair on fire simply gives the government the ability to ignore us. Even the petition above asked to be signed is inflammatory and without scientific evidence.

As an example, Ontario shut down all of their coal fired plants in 2014 based upon environmentalists claiming the smog was causing cancer in children and harming the environment. Guess what? The smog is identical as it was before but power now costs 4 times as much. This isn't defending coal plants, but should serve as a cautionary tale of acting on hyperbole. The unintended consequences are sometimes worse than trying to address the issues in a scientific and informed manner. Just my thoughts...

The picture you paint suggesting a lack of data/ assessment and fish decease info is not necessarily the case as much as you will present it as a blanket statement. As I have stated earlier there are problems with releasing incomplete data. I dont think its right either but that is where we are at and why you feel the way you do.

As always you want to take my ideas and inflate them into responses from industry. You just have to take my word for it I'm just a guy participating on a fishing forum that loves fishing and happens to be a fish farmer. I can be held accountable for that here. Certainly industry would not hire a guy like me with my bad grammar and spelling to represent them. lol I must have good arguments tho for you to put me up on a pedestal like you do with the industry representative, pr hack, etc etc comments consistently. Thanks for that respect however that is not the case.
You agent with your anonymous participation here on this forum do not have to be accountable the way I do here do you? How convienient and is certainly not a demonstration of transparency and honesty. Just an observation, not a complaint or argument.

didn`t realize you were a fish farmer. Cool. Any chance that Blue fin tuna will ever be sustainable farmed? Saw a documentary on it - looks close to impossible....

Tuna farming is quite different. They catch them small put them in pens feed them and kill them an bleed them freely in the ocean likely without defendable peer reviewed data that states doing so has less than minimal effect on the environment and surrounding tuna populations. lol
just trying to keep in on topic.

A read on farming blue fin: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...una-tiger-of-the-ocean-is-not-without-a-price

Seems kinda telling that people with access to all the farmed salmon they could possibly eat still like to catch and eat wild salmon. Or am I missing something here?

This comment is based on the assumption that none of these plants treat their effluent to be free of living biological material which simply isn't true. What is lacking here is quantification.
I would think releasing blood from sport caught fish in every creek and river system where every sport/commercial/ceremonial salmon are retained is by far more the most effective distribution of viruses.
In this thread we will continue to see the issue steered away from it as a whole and only a focus on fish farms. Shame.

In which case we need to tell all the bears and eagles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't need to name call but lets pretend the government followed the advice of all the eco-warriors on this site and closed all fish farms down. Since consumers still want salmon, where do they get it? I guess we will have to give more allocation to the commercial fleet and cut back all our sport quota's to one salmon a day. Oh wait, now all the fishing lodges and guides are struggling to get clients who need to shell out $4K to catch 2 salmon. I guess they need to get a new job. We can't argue the case that the Canadian who buys his salmon from safeway has less rights to the resource then the sporty who goes out and catches it. Alas, everyone is now losing. Fish farms lose, commercial fisherman lose, sporty's lose, first nations lose and consumers lose. This is not a solution.

Personally, I am all for fish farms because they take pressure off of the wild stocks. I am also for the farms to be operated safely and sustain-ably so they don't harm the wild stocks. Farmed salmon has been proven to be a healthy product that tastes great and is well accepted by consumers. Rather than make assumptions about a video, lets take a deep breath, ask our government to investigate to ensure the plant is operating under proper procedures, and if there is a gap in how the operations are preformed, lets address the issue and have it fixed. The video looks gross, but I am not sure it means a damn thing.

Sample of B.C. farmed-salmon ‘blood water’ tests positive for virus: critic

images
Amy Smart, Victoria Times Colonist
Published on: November 29, 2017
http://vancouversun.com/news/world/...n-blood-water-tests-positive-for-virus-critic

Has anyone mentioned that these are "FARMS" dumping waste of all types into the environment? Just because you cant see it doesn't mean its not there. If you were to dump house waste into a raveen in the bush and no one sees it, guess what, still there youre polluting. A foreign company making PROFITS is polluting!!! LOL this is so hard for people to understand????.

Also explain why most of the company's are from Norway? Are local corporations not interested?

Don't need to name call but lets pretend the government followed the advice of all the eco-warriors on this site and closed all fish farms down. Since consumers still want salmon, where do they get it? I guess we will have to give more allocation to the commercial fleet and cut back all our sport quota's to one salmon a day. Oh wait, now all the fishing lodges and guides are struggling to get clients who need to shell out $4K to catch 2 salmon. I guess they need to get a new job. We can't argue the case that the Canadian who buys his salmon from safeway has less rights to the resource then the sporty who goes out and catches it. Alas, everyone is now losing. Fish farms lose, commercial fisherman lose, sporty's lose, first nations lose and consumers lose. This is not a solution.

Personally, I am all for fish farms because they take pressure off of the wild stocks. I am also for the farms to be operated safely and sustain-ably so they don't harm the wild stocks. Farmed salmon has been proven to be a healthy product that tastes great and is well accepted by consumers. Rather than make assumptions about a video, lets take a deep breath, ask our government to investigate to ensure the plant is operating under proper procedures, and if there is a gap in how the operations are preformed, lets address the issue and have it fixed. The video looks gross, but I am not sure it means a damn thing.
The guy at Safeway has always been able to buy his salmon before Fish Farms came along. Fish Farms add pressure to Wild stocks because they are open cage and transfer disease and sea lice onto migrating smolts that Kill them. Using the Ocean as a sewer which is what this thread is about is not about being sustainable just more profit for the Multi National Conglomerates. As far as a healthy product goes the Fish Farms are not required to report various issues regarding health to the consumer.
However, the federal agency only makes some of that information available to the public. For example, on March 26 a fatal virus called hemorrhagic septicemia was reported in Atlantic salmon somewhere in B.C. with no further details.

“The basic issue is that government fails to disclose exactly where diseases have broken out, and only releases such extremely generalized information when it’s too late to be useful. This needs to change,” states the report.

There are hundreds of fish farms in B.C. Dozens pepper the coastal areas of Vancouver Island. According to Fisheries and Oceans Canada, farmed Atlantic salmon is the country’s top seafood export. Production has increased fourfold in the past 20 years and B.C. accounts for half of it.

“Detailed information about outbreaks should be public, especially for scientists trying to find solutions,” said Calvin Sandborn, supervising legal director.

The report was prepared by law student Sam Harrison on behalf of the Wuikinuxv Nation on the northwest coast. They wanted to look at the effects of salmon farms in traditional fishing territories.

Sandborn said the most shocking thing about the report is how Canada’s laws compare to other countries. He noted Norwegian fish farm owners in B.C. face fewer reporting regulations here than in their own country.

“Canada used to be seen as a leader in environmental protection law, now we’re the laggards,” he said.

Dunn said there’s no way to know that the PRV in the samples came from the fish blood, rather than the ocean water collected, since the virus has been known to exist in both. “Is the PRV in their sample coming from the plant or the ocean? I can’t know that.” Why don't they hire a researcher take water samples at the site when no blood is coming out of the pipes and send it to a lab test it for PRV. These guys seem to have an answer to everything and its piling up fast.

Farmed salmon has been proven to be a healthy product that tastes great and is well accepted by consumers.

I beg to differ, it tastes crappy, looks crappy, is full of pharma products and most people in BC hate it. The vast majority of the BC raised zombie salmon go to international markets. The zombie farmers just use BC as the waste dumping ground because our government let them do it. On land or out of our country!

Don't need to name call but lets pretend the government followed the advice of all the eco-warriors on this site and closed all fish farms down. Since consumers still want salmon, where do they get it? I guess we will have to give more allocation to the commercial fleet and cut back all our sport quota's to one salmon a day.

This reasoning is completely flawed. The Farmed salmon is a GLOBAL market, and Canada is NOT one of the biggest producers (and BC is 60% of the Canada Total), Chile Norway and Scotland produce much more. Much of our production is exported not even consumed here. The Chileans would happily sell us farmed salmon if there wasn't supply from BC. Their costs of production are lower, so even with increased transport costs the price probably wouldn't be much more. No one would go without salmon! All your arguments about taking pressure off wild stocks would still be valid, except we wouldn't have the pressure of possible disease and sea lice infestations on our wild stocks. Yes fish farms in BC would be the losers here, but really, considering they are all Norwegian owned with farms all over the world, and have thumbed their nose at our environment for decades and extracted hundreds of millions in profits already, who really cares? The winners would be the native salmon stocks, and by extension sport, commercial and FN people as well.

Funny how the vimeo is clearly filmed in the spring why would the concerned eco activist wait up to 6 month to make this issue public.

Its called closed containment..... get those farms onto land

One more time. I am not making a comparison I am only proposing the possibility of risk on this issue by looking at the whole picture. I am not asking anyone to change their habits despite a lack of defendable data or peer review science stating it is safe to do so. Im really trying to keep it about wild salmon which often get brushed aside as soon as there is a fish farm in the picture. This topic is a perfect example where the self describe care givers of wild salmon are more than willing to look the other way.
Perhaps if there wasn't an aggressive lobby via funding and activism etc that more than willing to bend the truth there might be more transparency. I hate to say it but thats where we are in the world today. Incomplete information is gold for activists. Look at this topic. The videos and news articles thrives on images without facts or quantification leaving the consumer of those stores to react with a total lack of objectivity. That can make you blood boil but if you are baffled by this situation then I cant help you. Its pretty obvious to me. I dont necessarily agree with it but its where we are at and until activist get very honest the situation isn't going to change much and you agent are stuck with conspiracy theories.

Our BC Fish Farm practices now have world wide condemnation from “Sumofus” and a petition which now has 12,795 signatures. Have a look and see what that number goes to and sign the petition.
BUT…we were told by the Fish Farm guys the dumping of this waste was “treated”, met BC standards and was approved. How does that make you feel???

“It's unimaginable. Disgusting footage was just released of parasite and virus-filled farmed salmon blood being pumped out of salmon processing plants off Vancouver Island. The worst part? It's being dumped right into critical wild salmon migratory routes.
Scientists tested this disgusting effluent and found a deadly virus linked to heart and skeletal muscle inflammation in wild salmon that causes heart lesions and organ hemorrhaging.”

https://www.sumofus.org/

Last edited:
Our BC Fish Farm practices now have world wide condemnation from “Sumofus” and a petition which now has 12,795 signatures. Have a look and see what that number goes to and sign the petition.
BUT…we were told by the Fish Farm guys the dumping of this waste was “treated”, met BC standards and was approved. How does that make you feel???

“It's unimaginable. Disgusting footage was just released of parasite and virus-filled farmed salmon blood being pumped out of salmon processing plants off Vancouver Island. The worst part? It's being dumped right into critical wild salmon migratory routes.
Scientists tested this disgusting effluent and found a deadly virus linked to heart and skeletal muscle inflammation in wild salmon that causes heart lesions and organ hemorrhaging.”

https://actions.sumofus.org/a/minis...e-dumping-of-infectious-waste?source=homepage
Can only imagine how much virus and parasites there must be in these Atlantic Fish Farm fish if they can't kill them prior to dumping the discharge into the ocean. Disgusting.CAMPBELL RIVER B.C. - Browns Bay Packing Company, like all plants processing farm-raised Atlantic salmon in B.C., disinfects effluent before it is released into the marine environment. While the liquid discharged remains red in colour, the treatment process is designed specifically to treat for fish pathogens.

Back