ARMY & NAVY closing permanently

I wonder if they are gonna sell all their old stuff cheap. I could use some more traps and whatever bait they have left

****. The end of a dynasty. Pretty sure they own the property. All the sites will get developed/sold. More money in real estate than selling lures,sleeping bags and woman’s shoes. A shame. One of the only places in the 80’s to buy decent fishing gear.

It’s unfortunate and was already becoming an issue trying to run a Brick and Mortar store. Too many online shoppers and high costs to maintain an actual building these days. I do some online shopper but still like to go up and down the aisles in case I miss something...lol. This chain and others will be casualties in the aftermath of Covid. Ugh....not good!

I recall as a kid on a summer trip to Vancouver with the family in the sixties, walking up and down the huge tackle section like I was in the toy section of the Bay at Christmas time. I still have the chromed metal Alaskan salmon plug that I bought on that trip. Indeed, the end of an era.

Last edited:
It’s unfortunate and was already becoming an issue trying to run a Brick and Mortar store. Too many online shoppers and high costs to maintain an actual building these days. I do some online shopper but still like to go up and down the aisles in case I miss something...lol. This chain and others will be casualties in the aftermath of Covid. Ugh....not good!
they do own all their buildings except the Langley store plus they have other land holdings in the Tri Cities area. Her family did very well and made smart decisions long ago.

Favourite place to visit downtown when I was a kid In the 60’s. Loved the fishing tackle section, but even then the store was in a somewhat dicey part of town. Went back about 5 years ago and the surrounding area had got really dicey! Suspect this might have contributed to closing it down.

As a kid I remember the big adventure traveling from the Island on BC ferries to visit my Aunt and my two cousins on the mainland and being introduced to the Army and Navy store for the very first time at the age of 9yrs. I was already a fishing fanatic, built up over a few years from the age of three. I had six years of pro master sunfish, trout and salmon angling under my belt and was ready for the next big fish. I had no idea what this retail store was about...it was all very boring to me, that is until the very second that I discovered the basement. I thought that I had died and arrived in heaven... FISHING TCKLE. All of my vacation money gone in less than an hour. I loved that place. Part of my history & who I became. I have not been to an Army and Navy store in the past few decades, but man do I have memories from the previous decades before them. One by one the iconic angling havens of our local communities are vanishing. As are the brands of quality and ever so reliant knowledge base. Sad.
Remember the giant Tyee they had up on the wall! Every kids dream lol

Up until a few years ago it was my go to then they stopped restocking.

Cheapest place to get gear hands down.

With army navy and wholesale done and bass pro being usless for saltwater gear maybe the smaller guys can get some of the business

Up until a few years ago it was my go to then they stopped restocking.

Cheapest place to get gear hands down.

With army navy and wholesale done and bass pro being usless for saltwater gear maybe the smaller guys can get some of the business
Berry’s bait is for sale, hopefully someone buys it and keeps it open if not now there will be no one but bass pro

Back