Arimas for open water?

Tsquared

I read with interest people's take on different makes of boats on the survey thread. I am in the market for a new boat and am considering some of the boats mentioned. How about an Arima? Charlie and some of the others made some good points about hull shape, what is people's take on Arima's? I mostly fish Juan de Fuca off Sooke but do get up to Renfrew fairly often and would like to range off the beach further than I have been with my 17.5 Double Eagle.
T2

No Rigours

I looked into them alot and my dad went down south to check a few out. Nice fishing platforms and layout.Because of the hulls shape they need less power than most boats of equal size thus saving gas.

They are really stable but pound pretty badly in chop. Alot of guys use them for tuna offshore but the boats are 20+ and not cheap. I love them and often wish we had got one.

I have looked at them a lot and decided my next boat will be a
17' seachaser, small forward cuddy, huge back deck and only
1250 lbs. These boats are designed for fishing.
They are not a deep V hull, but a modified V .
The 17' Seachaser is 8' wide which is huge beam for a small boat
creating a great fishing platform.

I have read that owners feel very safe in fairly big water
but the only draw back is you have to slow down because of the hull design they will pound if trying to run quickly in the rough stuff.

http://arimaboatownersgroup.yuku.com/directory

http://www.arimaboats.com/sc17.htm

Here's a couple site's with more info.

Good luck :D

T2, I've owned an Arima Sea Ranger for almost 2 years and have had it out in some fairly open and rough water. Just like RS and Kelly mentioned, they do tend to bounce a bit in a heavy chop but don't go thinking that its real bad cause really its not that bad, besides you have to go slower in rough water anyways. With that being said they are a nice wide boat for fishing, Their hull design allows the boat to be launched in fairly shallow water, My Arima is a 17 foot with a 90 hp. also comes with built in gas tank, dual battery hook up, porta potty in the bow as well as a built in fresh water tank too. The way they are designed allows the operator to stand or sit while running. IMO they are a well built west coast boat designed for west coast water. You get that big boat feel with safety and roominess. Hope this helps. Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

I found this surfing:

There are two basic versions of the Arima boats; the "Chaser" models have a "for storage" cuddy cabin and the "Ranger" models have a full v-berth (for sleeping aboard) cuddy cabin. Just to confuse things :), the 16 foot version of the "Ranger" model is called an "Explorer" and the 22 foot version is a "Sea Legend" but they're the same thing and the 15 foot version of the "Chaser" is the Sea Hunter. There is a third version of the 15 and 17 with an open bow called the Sea Sprinter 15 and Sea Pacer 17 respectively.

The "Ranger/Explorer/Legend" models have v-berths, portable heads, 14-gallon water tanks, an opening hatch in the cuddy cabin, bow rails, side windows in the cuddy, and aft jump seats. In addition the 19, 21 and 22 have a hardtop version available. The "house" sides on the hardtop versions are actually longer than they are on the soft top models so there is more space under the top and less in the cockpit although the distance from the front of the motorwell to the cuddy door is identical in either model. A new "Explorer" version of the Sea Ranger 21 Hardtop is available with a lengthened cabin to accommodate a more cruising oriented interior.

The "Chaser" models feature a larger cockpit and have space for an optional portable toilet in the cuddy (the toilet is standard on the 19). They do not have the 14-gallon water tank or the cuddy foredeck hatch. These are the day and fishing boats and there is no "Chaser" model of the 21 and 22.

Interior layout is the main choice for all Arima boats. Pedestal seats are the most versatile and adjustable, companion storage seats offer the most storage and sleeper seats are the most comfortable but offer the least flexibility and the most hassle fitting in the smaller boats. For the 16/17/19/21 the most popular layouts are #2 and #3.

The fuel tank on the 16 and 17 are 27 gallons but since the 17 usually gets a 75 or 90 horsepower engine some folks opt for the optional saddle tanks which add 20-gallons more capacity (about 18 usable). Unless you're planning extended trips in remote locations these aren't really necessary if you're powering with a 4-stroke outboard. The 19 has 48-gallons standard and that seems to be enough for most folks.

The most popular option for Arima boats of 17-feet and up are the hydraulic trim tabs. The Arima has a very buoyant bow and the boat runs best when fairly flat. A lot can be done with motor trim but you're using some of the power of the motor to lift or depress the stern and the tabs can do this more efficiently, they can also adjust lateral trim for unbalanced loads which the motor trim can't help at all.

The most popular option for all Arima boats is the port windshield wiper on soft top models (standard on hardtops). Arima now uses the pantographic wiper arms and a heavy duty motor. The starboard wiper is standard on all models and the port wiper is standard on all hardtops and the Sea Legend 22 soft top.

fish.gif

Found this too.

Mr. Arima decided in the late 70's that there was a need for a small, easily powered and easily towed boat for use in fairly large bodies of water like Puget Sound (where he lives). This launched the company and their first boat, the Sea Hunter 15. Since then the line has grown to include boats of 16, 17, 19, 21 and 22 feet in length but the basic concept of full flotation, sound construction, simplicity and cost effectiveness has remained.

I like to use car analogies when describing various boat because most of us are a lot more familiar with car types and models than we are with boats. The Arima boats are like SUV's and minivans, they do a lot of different things pretty darn well. They are designed to be safe for first-time boat owners yet robust enough to take an experienced owner where s/he wants to go. And they are "family friendly" with great stability derived from their modified-v wide body design and have deep cockpit sides to keep smaller crew members aboard. The Arima boats are also designed for moderate horsepower outboards for lower initial cost and lower operating expenses. What's the trade-off? Just as the minivan isn't going to go head-to-head with a Porsche over a winding mountain road the Arima isn't going to go head-to-head with a deep-v hull design in larger waves. The minivan is safe going across the mountains just at a slower, stop-and-smell-the-roses pace and so it goes for the Arima. It's safe and comfortable in larger waves albeit at a slower pace than the deep-v boat.

A sports car requires a high horsepower-to-weight ratio to operate in its intended high performance role as does the deep-v hull. A sports car features quick, precise steering that requires full operator attention when in a high performance situation and the deep-v boat does too. A deep-v hull in heavy water at speed requires 100% attention from the helmsperson. You can drive a Porsche around town but it's not at its happiest and its potential is pretty much wasted and so it goes for the deep-v hull. Is this bad? Not at all! If you want speed on the water even in heavier conditions there is no substitute for a good deep-v boat, the typical deep-v is fast and a joy to handle a high speed. Just like buying a car, know what the trade-offs are before you spend that hard-earned cash. The car companies hype the heck out of their high performance vehicles and most of us see them for what they are and decide if they fit our needs or budget. Similarly, the boat companies hype the heck out of their deep-v high performance models, unfortunately a lot of potential boat owners aren't familiar enough with hull design to know whether or not that type of boat would be a wise choice.

You'll be most happy with an Arima boat if you're looking for a very stable hull, especially in low speed situations like trolling and sightseeing or when stopped while crabbing and shrimping (where the deep-v is at its worst). And you'll be most happy if you're more interested in fuel economy and moderate cruising speeds (20 to 25 knots) than the highest top speed you can get (where the deep-v shines). The Arima boats can safely be powered up to their maximum horsepower ratings but why? It's really missing the point of the boats. The horsepower ratings are derived from a Coast Guard formula and are not indicative of the horsepower requirements necessary for good performance from the hulls. The design of the Arima hull gives the operator the ability to slow the boat down for a comfortable ride and still retain good fuel economy, visibility and handling (a deep-v hull going slow isn't good).

Minivan or sports car? You decide what's best for you. If you're interested in a floating version of a minivan or SUV it would be hard to go wrong with an Arima.

Les Lampman

fish.gif

Well, as an Arima owner (16 foot Sea Chaser model), I guess I should chime in here.

Features pretty well covered by RS and Sea Ranger, only point I would add is that I don't think you can beat the Arima as a fishing platform, the flattening out of the hull towards the stern makes the boat very stable while at rest or at slow speeds. Very little roll as compared to a full deep v like a double eagle.

Although I love my 16, and won't be parting with it, if I had to do it over again I'd probably go with the 17, but still stick to the Arima brand.

For running out to Swiftsure, 19 footer might be a better choice.

If you like to keep or store a lot of stuff on the boat, especially long equipment like rods, and want it locked away in the cuddy, then look at the Ranger or Explorer models. The cabin on the Sea Chaser is pretty short.

Take a ride on an Arima Sea Ranger 17, not my boat but will give you a feel for how they ride in the water.... you can see the white water that is sprayed out the side as the boat bounces a bit when running. Some good size swells in this video, boat loved it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JWeKnRd5WI

fish.gif

Thank you for your good info Sea Ranger and others. Like R.S. Craven one of the reasons I am attracted to the Arima is the weight factor. I am probably looking at a 19 footer but I would like to get away without getting a new truck to haul it with. (My current 1/2 ton does not have 4 wheel to help haul outs)
T2

No Rigours

hey Tsquared, I just picked up an Arima Sea Ranger 17 from the states and it's a great boat. Only been out in a couple times now and I'm really impressed with it already. The more research I did on Arima, the more impressed I was. The construction, stability, and lightness of this boat is great from what all the owners threads I've read. Bringing a boat across the border is easy if you have all your paperwork in order and you can really find some good deals down there. My young family had the first trip in it last Sunday and they loved it. Hope this helps

Bigmeal

quote:Originally posted by Tsquared

I am probably looking at a 19 footer but I would like to get away without getting a new truck to haul it with. (My current 1/2 ton does not have 4 wheel to help haul outs)
T2

No Rigours

Wide beam = stability!
The modified V on the Arimas is just fine... and is actually better and well suited for most! When it gets to rough water and you don't want bounced around... slow down!

I wouldn't have any problem taking that particular boat out to Swiftsure! If you really want, I can post the differences in "hull" designs and deadrises? :)

quote:I wouldn't have any problem taking that particular boat out to Swiftsure! If you really want, I can post the differences in "hull" designs and deadrises?
No, you'd lose me, Charlie but thank you and Big Meal for your opinion. Now I have to sharpen my pencil...
T2

No Rigours

When boat shopping 2 years ago I seriously considered getting an Arima, before eventually getting a Campion 542 (18').

The people who like Arimas love them, the people who don't like them tend to really hate them. The main complaint I heard is they are marginal in heavier seas. Just the report I heard, can't speak to it directly. Do some searching on that arima forum, there's the occassional "hater" report, though not very many. Check "thehulltruth.com" too.

The main reason I shied away from them was price. They really hold their resale value, which is a nice way of saying they are expensive used. I bought a 7 year old campion with low hours for the same price that I'd get a 1980s arima 16-17' hull with old power. For a limited budget shopper, it didn't make sense.

Another benefit not listed here is no wood in the design...one of the first boats made around here to go all fibreglass for stringers and transom, so no rot. BUT they used wood stringers for about 5 years in the 80s, so be careful if you're going back that far.

If you're shopping for real, put a wanted ad on that arima site...I got lots of replies from that. Also use the jaxed or "arima site:craigslist.org" quick search shortcuts -- such a distinctive name, you can get all of the listings very quick. They go VERY fast, so have to be on the ads immediately.

Good luck!

[and I do still like them, especially the biggers ones with the cabins....but not for anytime soon for me...]

quote:Originally posted by Tsquared

quote:I wouldn't have any problem taking that particular boat out to Swiftsure! If you really want, I can post the differences in "hull" designs and deadrises?
No, you'd lose me, Charlie but thank you and Big Meal for your opinion. Now I have to sharpen my pencil...
T2

No Rigours
Well, how about if I do this for you? Take a look at the following pictures and it will show the difference in "deadrise" I am talking about and why your decission is the right one. Since this was brought up concerning my comment on the C-Dory - look at the amount of deadrise on the C-Dory 19... very flat! Then look at the 19 Arima, picture #8. Big difference!

Enjoy your boat... Good choice! :)

http://www.1gigharbor.com/gifs/power/19CD04008.jpg
http://www.arimaboats.com/sc19water.htm

Thanks Charlie--I'm going to the boat show today here in Victoria so I'll be able to take a good look at the hull.
T2

No Rigours

I'm finding the Arima interesting as well. Especially the 22' Sea Legend hardtop. Sure wish there was one I could look at.

Back