Area E and D Gillnetters Throw in the Towel

Really feel bad for these guys but if you look at the big picture, the future isn’t very bright for this industry. With $10k of emergency assistance (if they get it!) they could hardly make it to Xmas let alone the longer term costs of operating a boat and staying afloat.

Really feel bad for these guys but if you look at the big picture, the future isn’t very bright for this industry. With $10k of emergency assistance (if they get it!) they could hardly make it to Xmas let alone the longer term costs of operating a boat and staying afloat.

A good portion of the licence holders have other full time employment. The 10k is meant to cover some of the cost they spent as a result of preseason forecasts and expected fisheries the were cancelled due to new regulations implemented. That's at least how I understand it.

This affects us all and puts recreational fisheries in a very awkward spot.

If your area e you have to have another job one opening in four years sucks, that’s why I’m not in the industry anymore. In the buy back in the mid 90’s those licenses went to the natives so did the boat this can’t happen this time. And in future all sectors need to have there fish counted, to make it fare on everybody if we want a fishery in the future.

Very sad situation for everyone. Similar hardship suffered by businesses supplying the recreational fishery. The best way forward is for government to treat restoration of the salmon resource as if it was a long term mutual fun investment. If we invested wisely into increasing abundance and helping mother nature off-set the impacts of climate change on salmon populations we might be able to get back to a place where we have abundant salmon runs. Abundance solves a great deal of problems, creates economic benefits well beyond the actual investments required, and bolsters our many social and cultural connections to the resource. Hopefully all sectors can finally realize there is more to be gained by working together to manage to abundance ensuring everyone has reasonable access to enjoy the benefits abundance generates.

My guiding company is down over 50% this year and I would like to be compensated as well. I spent over $10,000.00 on repairs to my boat in January that I would have not done had I known in a timely manner that DFO was going to implement catch and release up until August 1st in areas 19/20. The very late announcement gave me no opportunity to change coarse and save my season.

That’s Trudeau fighting for the middle class for ya. Bc fisheries shut down given away, oil industry in shambles, logging industry in shambles, hey we can all work at Timmy’s! At least we got that awesome pot industry...o ya Ontario lost a pile on that one...CLOWN.

In order for the fish to survive there needs to be a dramatic shift and adjustment by all user groups. Gill-netting as it is currently conducted I suspect will not survive into the future. In addition, to blame the prime minister and expect change with another government is in my opinion rather naive. after all both the Liberals and Conservatives have been gutting DFO for decades.

In order for the fish to survive there needs to be a dramatic shift and adjustment by all user groups. Gill-netting as it is currently conducted I suspect will not survive into the future. In addition, to blame the prime minister and expect change with another government is in my opinion rather naive. after all both the Liberals and Conservatives have been gutting DFO for decades.

I’m not exactly sure how cutting funding to DFO so directly effects salmon stocks. There are still and was always more than enough man power if used effectively to monitor and run operations. Same as the rants on here about Harper cutting scientists, what do scientist do for the front lines of salmon stocks, how many useless people do you need doing the same endless studies over and over again, it’s the fat that was trimmed. If we are being honest about it we all know how these operations are ran. When they get more funding they don’t spend it where it belongs they blow it on more useless studies they hire more useless people to do nothing, all it does is take money away from where it’s truly needed. Yes there has to be a certain amount of these people doing their thing but study after study is useless, it does nothing when the people doing them are not accountable for anything. We need more money put directly into, stream rehabilitation, more money put into hatcheries we don’t need more people collecting a pay check, there’s enough of those out there. A DFO officer catching a half dozen people a year with an extra 5 fish is not going to save the fishery. Even if you multiplied that by 50 it’s not going to matter in the big scheme of things. I’ve been around a long time and I’m sorry but I have yet to see any government employee over worked or die young from worry or stress so don’t give me this crap they are over worked and stripped thin, that’s a crock. What has the extra funding and extra scientists hired by the Liberals done, what have those scientists done with their knowledge what effect did they have on our fishing opportunities this past year,, was it used wisely or was it used by the few to skew the facts and made to suit their agenda. The liberals used it as an excuse to transfer more of the catch to a certain group of users and if they stay in power it’s going to get worse and worse. If the liberals stay in power I highly doubt we will have more than a few weeks of fishing opportunity left in the next few years.

We have a federal government that is hell bent on putting an end to the sport fishery and comercial fishery on the west coast by transferring that power and catch allotment to a select group. They are hell bent on shutting down mining in this country through their environmental bills. They are hell bent on shutting down the resource industry through environmental bills that make no sense. BC now has a provincial government that is hell bent on gutting the forest industry in your province, you have mills shutting down all over the province. What are people going to live on, has anyone stopped to think about that. If this country keeps going down these insane channels they are headed down we will be broke and a 3rd world country in a very few short years. It can and it will happen.

Harper cutting scientists, what do scientist do for the front lines of salmon stocks,

DFO Biologist were responsible for approving development permits. At one point they would go out to sites and investigate if the developments would impact fish/habitat. IE building some apartments right over a coho stream. Haper basically gutted this and turned it into a rubber stamp process. He gutted a bunch of other stuff too, but this one did have some bad impact that i personally know about.

I have heard the Liberal government has restored some of this legislation.

DFO Biologist were responsible for approving development permits. At one point they would go out to sites and investigate if the developments would impact fish/habitat. IE building some apartments right over a coho stream. Haper basically gutted this and turned it into a rubber stamp process. He gutted a bunch of other stuff too, but this one did have some bad impact that i personally know about.

I have heard the Liberal government has restored some of this legislation.

Harper was certainly a pro business, pro industry leader no denying that. There wasn’t a lot of investment money that was turned away or walked away from Canada. We certainly “were” open for business.

I’ve been around a long time and I’m sorry but I have yet to see any government employee over worked or die young from worry or stress so don’t give me this crap they are over worked and stripped thin, that’s a crock.
That seems to be a pretty harsh criterion for determining work load! Just my opinion.

Back