Area 23 July / August

wishiniwasfishin1

A friend and I are planning a trip from Vancouver to WCVI by way of boat around the south end of the island and fishing Area 23 July or August.

We are trying to decide the best time - taking fishing and weather into consideration.

Looking at the regs, it appears those areas remain open for chinook retention 2/4?

What do you guys think would be the best time to spend a few days over there?

Cheers

If you are talking about the actual area 23 instead of the vicinity of area 23, then last half of August IMO. This would be the time to target the Robertson Creek & Nitinat Hatchery runs.
FYI you will be driving over some great fishing grounds on you route.
As for weather, August is also called Fogust out there. Stay north/northeast of Swiftsure Bank unless 25ft swells (not always but common enough with a big outgoing tide) are your thing. Stay at least 1 mile off Cape Beale to avoid bad sea conditions. If it is a bit rough, duck inside the Sound after Cape Beale. Heard of some guys who delaminated the deck-to-hull joint on the bow of their Bayliner making this run. I was luckier; only loosened the cowling on the Fly Bridge so that the steering/control cables were the only thing keeping it in place (sort of). Also realize that there are some hull designs that will make the boat come close to swapping ends (bow becomes the new stern) in a large following sea; these are usually hulls with a low dead rise angle on the stern. Can't wait huh??

If you are talking about the actual area 23 instead of the vicinity of area 23, then last half of August IMO. This would be the time to target the Robertson Creek & Nitinat Hatchery runs.
FYI you will be driving over some great fishing grounds on you route.
As for weather, August is also called Fogust out there. Stay north/northeast of Swiftsure Bank unless 25ft swells (not always but common enough with a big outgoing tide) are your thing. Stay at least 1 mile off Cape Beale to avoid bad sea conditions. If it is a bit rough, duck inside the Sound after Cape Beale. Heard of some guys who delaminated the deck-to-hull joint on the bow of their Bayliner making this run. I was luckier; only loosened the cowling on the Fly Bridge so that the steering/control cables were the only thing keeping it in place (sort of). Also realize that there are some hull designs that will make the boat come close to swapping ends (bow becomes the new stern) in a large following sea; these are usually hulls with a low dead rise angle on the stern. Can't wait huh??
Sorry yes I should have mentioned that. Deffiently the second half of August if your staying in area 23. If you’re planning on going offshore I’d try to go those
dates that I said in my original post

The fog in Fogaust (and late July) is why I’ve always fished Ukee and Barkley Sound in June to mid-July not because the fishing/catching’s any better (as mid-July to late August is primo fishing time).

Cheers!

Ukee

Been guiding in Barkley and offshore for over 20 years, and from my experience every month has great fishing opportunities - they are just different. June has good numbers of Puget Sound fish actively feeding inside Barkley Sound. The do move offshore and then back into the Sound, so you have to expect both good and bad days. Usually see a few coho starting in June and into July. July is similar, but different fish. We tend to see other stocks from further south slide into the Sound. We also have some very good squid spawn that attracts fish from offshore into the nearshore areas. August of course brings the Alberni/Nitnat Chinooks, and this lasts into early September usually - caveat is if it rains hard the fish are tractor beamed into the river. Late August into early September we see Somas bound coho - fishing can be very good depending on the run size returning to the Stamp River in Port Alberni. Matching the hatch as in size of the bait is important - they have lots to choose from so you need to be open to experimenting with a wide variety of gear until you get the right stuff in the cross hairs. The thing I love about Barkley is even after all these years I still learn new things and places. It is a truly amazing place, with some very cool structure. If you are a person who enjoys fishing structure its a great place and test of anyone's skills. Of course, the offshore world is always an option and offers a totally different experience and productivity. We are literally on a fish highway and someone new comes along every week.

Hey guys - just a quick update. We have decided to boat over to French Creek and then get the 2 boats trailered to Port Alberni.
Leaving on the 25th and back the 30th of July. Seems like it will be easier and maybe save a couple bucks. Also - easier on the body as we don't know what the weather will be like running al the way from Vancouver and we don't have a long time to fish.

We are thinking of staying at: https://www.mckaybaylodge.com/
Does anyone have any experience with this place? Or...recommend anywhere else in the area for two approx 30' boats and 4 guys?

Cheers.

I stayed at McKay last year and will be back again starting Thursday. Overall I found it to be good value, good food, and the owners are very nice. They have lots of dock space and fuel there as well so it is a one stop shop.

I stayed at McKay last year and will be back again starting Thursday. Overall I found it to be good value, good food, and the owners are very nice. They have lots of dock space and fuel there as well so it is a one stop shop.

Thanks for the reply. And they have a great freezer too it sounds like for processing the catch. I think we will go with this option!

Hey guys - just a quick update. We have decided to boat over to French Creek and then get the 2 boats trailered to Port Alberni.
Leaving on the 25th and back the 30th of July. Seems like it will be easier and maybe save a couple bucks. Also - easier on the body as we don't know what the weather will be like running al the way from Vancouver and we don't have a long time to fish.

We are thinking of staying at: https://www.mckaybaylodge.com/
Does anyone have any experience with this place? Or...recommend anywhere else in the area for two approx 30' boats and 4 guys?

Cheers.
McKay Bay is great. We go once or twice a season. Everyone is helpful, unpretentious atmosphere, good, hearty meals. Well organized. And great guests.;)

Back