area 19-20 salmon

bananas

There is a meeting this week in Nanaimo sounds like March 1 to May 15 slot size again but this year no cliped fish.Fisheries i talked to said last year to many people abused it so this year there taking cliped away .Great just Great.

SFAB CN and CO Working Group Mtg is Wednesday in the AM. I'll be there and will be finding out what DFO plans are. ET Fraser chinook is the only agenda item. I have heard rumour of DFO seeking to broaden the slot area to encompass Sidney Cowichan and Southern Gulf Islands.

Early Summer and Summer Chinook may also impact us with slot limits being in longer. They will be discussed later

We should NEVER be made to suffer because of DFO's late notice fishing regs change last year leading to poor compliance. They have a duty to advise the public properly and in a timely manner as well as to enforce their laws.

I'll inform all when I get back from the meeting on Wednesday what's on the table

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Sorry kelly he meant people were bringing in over sized wilds and saying they new nothing of the hatchery over only rule.

trev
thats what you get for sitting on your brains all wkend:D

i might know someone for your scottys, let you know

So effectively that will mean anything over 6 lbs has to be released ??
what a joke , they might as well just shut it down :(

This isn't really important news...The most important thing I read in this post was that DFO thought somebody actually caught a fish on the Nanaimo side last year [:eek:)]

Take only what you need.

They put forth the same regs as last year but that doesn't mean thats whats going to happen.

Trev had it right, DFO was suggesting slot 45-67 cms and no marked fish over 67 cms. Also interesting no DFO proposal to increase area of restrictions which was an inside rumour.

Interesting isn't it how taking away retention of marked fish over 67 cms from our catch would have NO benefit on ET Fraser Chinook conservation, period.

SFAB CN & CO Working Group made a counter proposal. We got no answer yes or no to our proposal at the meeting (which is normal) but will hear answer very soon if Mar 1st is start date. Note 19 and 20 catch reporting will be scaled up including increased number of volunteers keeping logbooks.

I'll post news when I hear any

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Talk about idiotic, now we'll have people netting supposed
early fraser fish, pulling them into the boat. putting a tape measure
on them , and then removing the hook and releasing the fish.

That's really gonna help the cause...

I hear you craven. But the real ET Frasers are typically big fish and you would know right away that this one misses the slot. ET Frasers would be easily in the 20 lbs now. Look into the reports over the last years and this will tell you how many of those fish we as anglershave actually intercepted. I can't even remember when I have seen the last spring over 20 lbs in March.

The real idiotic thing is that last year a few weeks into the slot period DFO apparently realized that the clipped non-retention rule was nonsense and gave it up. But here we will have it again! WTF??

IMO it's purely and simply designed to stop the FN fishery on the river. DFO can say, "see, we have stopped the recreational fishery now no netting in the river." It's politics.

Even if the fish were intercepted out here there aren't enough boats on the water to have a measureable impact. Now a winter commercial troll fishery 2 out of every 4 weeks over the past years,...nah...they don't swim up there.

quote:Originally posted by striperjack

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

..Grab your ankles!

What do clipped fish have to do with the Fraser?

Tips

with DFO you should never let go of your ankles.

PS :lube is extra:(

it will tickle a bit when you feel the wrist watch though! DFO and MoE are just constantly proving just how bad a job they do managing our fisheries.

quote:Originally posted by chris73

I hear you craven. But the real ET Frasers are typically big fish and you would know right away that this one misses the slot. ET Frasers would be easily in the 20 lbs now. Look into the reports over the last years and this will tell you how many of those fish we as anglershave actually intercepted. I can't even remember when I have seen the last spring over 20 lbs in March.

The real idiotic thing is that last year a few weeks into the slot period DFO apparently realized that the clipped non-retention rule was nonsense and gave it up. But here we will have it again! WTF??

the size is not completely accurate. ET Fraser chinooks heading to Nicola system (coldwater fish ) are usually small 8-12lbs with very few above 15lbs.

As much as I want to see fishing open every where, all the time. We will have to accept and support conservation efforts in our fisheries to protect the future stocks. (when there is a concervation concern, not an allocation concern ie. Hali)
It would just be easier to accept if it makes sense.

Is the size limit on chinook not 62cm in area 19?
That would be a pretty tight slot limit. 62-67cm.

Tips

Back