AREA 14 SFAC MEETING

fishingbc

THE SPORT FISHING ADVISORY BOARD (SFAB) and its local committees (SFAC) are supposed to be set up to be transparent, accountable, efficient, effective and to have inclusive representation, sadly our local area 14 SFAC is none of the above….
Transparent- hardly. How can anyone consider this local committee to be transparent when it holds its regular meetings virtually in private behind closed doors? All local meetings held by this area 14 board are held in the morning during the week when most of recreational anglers are at work. Can you or will you sacrifice a days wages to attend one or all of these important daytime meetings?????????
ALL OTHER SFAB & SFAC’S IN THE PROVINCE MEET IN THE EVENINGS OR ON THE WEEKENDS WITH FULL PARTICPATION FROM DFO STAFF & WHEN THE GENERAL PUBLIC CAN ATTEND
The chair and co-chair have stated their reasons why this happens, and all of these excuses are without merit
1-They say they have to meet at the DFO office in Comox so DFO staff can attend…false…all other SFAC in the province submit requests to DFO and DFO makes sure that staff can attend. This is standard procedure province wide, except here in area 14. DFO staff is here tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2-The chair and co-chair think by having OUR concerns e-mailed or phoned in to them, and then dealt with behind closed doors is an open and transparent process, hardly.
3-Area 14 envelopes a huge area from Salmon Point to Nanoose and virtually all anglers south of Fanny Bay know little or nothing about what this board does, when it meets, who is making decisions that effect them, and why these decisions were made etc, etc……this has to change. Meetings south of here in Parksville or Qualicum to include the anglers in those areas have to take place.
4-The SFAB was set up to get recreational anglers involved in the sport fishing decision making process, not shut them out. There are many larger meeting places; (Courtenay F&G has been offered up more than once for evenings or weekend meetings by their V.P), as well as meeting places in Qualicum and Parksville. Using the limited space at the Comox DFO office as an excuse for daytime meeting is laughable. It holds about 12 ppl. Do the Port Alberni and Victoria committee do this?..NO they make sure there is room for as many rec anglers as possible.
5-The chair and co-chair would have you believe that these once a year “information meetings” are all that is necessary to keep the public informed of their decisions and future plans. Some of these decisions will and are affecting you directly. In Port Alberni which holds ALL of its meeting in the evenings and on weekends regularly has large numbers of rec angler in attendance when hot topic issues come up for OPEN DISCUSSION. In Victoria which also hold its meeting in the evenings or on the weekends regularly has over 100 plus recreational anglers and members of the general public in attendance. This scenario plays out over and over again PROVINCE WIDE, but NOT HERE………we deserve and need to be heard. DFO’s mandate for the SFAB and SFAC states so…..men, women, children, seniors, the disabled all have a democratic right to be involved in this important process. DFO’s rep Bill Shaw’s staged performance at the “information meeting” last night lacked any backbone. There were several persons sitting at the committee tables last night who have spent their lives promoting public involvement in angling and to sit back and see them either walk out of the meeting or support the daytime meeting agenda when this topic was brought up was a joke. Getting more people involved is the only way to go. Preaching public involvement and conservation etc then turning your back on them is inexcusable.
Bob Cole Chair of the Port Alberni SFAC was kind enough to send along his support in an e-mail prior to the meeting and after hearing of the situation here and I quote” all I can say is that in order to get good input and output to the recreational fishing community, you need as many rec fisher as possible to attend your meetings and that can only be accomplished with evening or weekend meetings. Sure, the core half dozen often think they have all the answers but that is not always the case and it’s good to give the rational for certain directions that we take. We had 45 and 31 attendees at our last two evening meetings and some good (and a few whacky) ideas put forward. Good Luck Bob
Both Devona Adams (DFO) and Bill Shaw (DFO) had a copy of this e-mail prior to the “information meeting” last night and Bill Shaw chose to ignore it completely instead passing the buck to the chair and co-chair who again turned the meeting into a gong show swearing and getting way out of order, just like the meeting last year when anyone questions their “my way or the highway” running of this local committee. “If you don’t have a vote the your S#@T OUTTA LUCK” as stated by one committee member last night…….After several extended phone conversations with Devona Adams (DFO) regarding the lack of transparency and inclusive representation at the local regularly scheduled meetings she assured my that Bill Shaw (DFO) and herself would make sure that things would change and that evening and weekend area 14 meetings would take place to ensure rec anglers and the general public could attend. She also assured me that meetings would now be split between Parksville (or close by in Qualicum Beach) to allow full and fair access to residents of that area to a process that is supposed to open to ALL. Well what a difference a week makes, instead standing up for what is right all Bill Shaw could do was wave around the Terms of Reference and say how open and fair the process is…….with backing of chair, co-chair the meeting was quickly shut down. A total of 12 people (including three commercial fishermen) attended this meeting and with the co-chair ranting and raving about how many groups, NGO’s etc he contacted was only able to muster this kind of attendance. I guess that’s the direct result of a committee that meets behind closed doors when 99% of people who wish to attend SIMPLY CANNOT…….this group can get pissed off all they want but the only way to make sure the SFAB process works FOR ALL is to have meetings in the evenings or on the weekends…..end of story……if you live in the area from Salmon Point to Nanoose and you want your voice heard in an open forum (the way the SFAB is designed to operate) put the pressure directly on Devona Adams or Bill Shaw from DFO. Hope you have better luck than I did…..here is their e-mail addresses. Don’t bother with the local SFAC you’ll get nowhere…….
Devona.Adams@df0-mpo.gc.ca
Bill.Shaw@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

This is a well known issue with AREA 14 - it has been going on for some time and shares no end or beginnings to change. This topic was discussed with some concerned folks and DFO reps at the SFAB meeting last weekend and has been a topic of concern with area directors of BCFDF. Assurances for change and backing of the code of conduct and creating open opportunity for all or any public to attend at an optimized time, night or weekend was given, in that it was agreed that as many public individuals be granted an opportunity to attend meetings the better the outcome for education and sharing of concerns.

In Nanaimo, we[SFAC] also create times and dates that work best for open opportunities for anyone to attend. Without the success of attendance growth - new blood with ideas and thoughts, question etc. we are lost by way of becoming stagnant and such a loss is futile to the progress of process's existence.

Thank you fishingbc for involving yourself and sharing this information openly.

I wanted to be there for the meeting to lend my support for evening open and transparent meetings, however had no way to get there and back last night from Nanaimo...I apologize.

Kind regards,
- UNKNOWN -

That's all I'm trying to accomplish contrary to whatever the chair (Gerry Scott) and co-chair (Brian Allen aka Cuba Libre) want to dream up or put out there for public consumption......it all about getting people involved not shutting the door....submitting questions and concerns via e-mail or whatever means the committee wants is un-workable and un democratic....dealing with public issues behind closed doors is a joke.....it not about me is about GETTING PEOPLE INVOLVED....Bob Cole is one of the most respected men I know and to see him back the demand for evening and or weekend meetings says it all.....get on with it...or pass the torch to some younger blood who want to see the process succeed the way it was set out to....thanks for the support....now if we can put the pressure on DFO publicly they can force the change .....like they should have last night.....

I have to agree in the strongest possible terms. An open transparent process engenders trust. Closed processes regardless of how "just" the reasons to the organizers engender distrust and ultimately detract from the legitimate efforts of the local SFAC team. There needs to be a 180 degree shift in thinking of the leadership to build trust and greater involvement.

I unfortunately was unable to attend due to work commitments the cropped up last minute. I was particularly interested in knowing more about the herring fishery given the terrible impacts to the local salmon stocks, so it was my loss for not being able to attend.

Part of the reason for not making the meeting was simply because it would take me a little more than an hour to drive there. I love the idea of meetings that would be moved around the whole area. There are a whole host of folks from the southern portion of Area 14 that are simply not involved for this reason.

I sure hope there is a "re-think" by the Area 14 SFAC on at least holding evening meetings.

ok, not to stir the pot but is fishbc post's true, havent heard anything from CB to say otherwise, sorry i am not sure of the politics up there, but if one throws out accusations and you dont get to hear the other side , who am i too believe?

quote:Originally posted by dohboy

ok, not to stir the pot but is fishbc post's true, havent heard anything from CB to say otherwise, sorry i am not sure of the politics up there, but if one throws out accusations and you dont get to hear the other side , who am i too believe?
you hit the nail right on the head IT'S ALL POLITICS.....had a call yesterday from someone from "the other side of the fence" that shed some light on this and supports night time and weekend meetings....seems like not all that sit around that table are as stubborn as the rest....and I will have plenty more to say on this soon......

quote:Originally posted by dohboy

I don't think any of them wanna touch this its becoming a hot potato....

My position is for more public involvement in the process. I would like to see more meetings held evenings and or weekends. I would also like to see Fishingbc drop his rants as this does way more damage than good to this issue. If he is to be the “leader for change” count me out.
GLG

quote:Originally posted by GLG

My position is for more public involvement in the process. I would like to see more meetings held evenings and or weekends. I would also like to see Fishingbc drop his rants as this does way more damage than good to this issue. If he is to be the “leader for change” count me out.
GLG
you should have stood up and said so at the meeting.....putting things out for public consumption is way better than keeping things behind closed doors, especially when you are dealing with a process that is supposed to be open to the public....how do you consider this to be damage....got you to come and and express your views....that's a good thing....leader for change????...just want change so more can get involved whether it be by evening or weekend meetings or by moving them around or whatever....the area 14 sfac showed up for an evening meeting the other night, why can't they do it all the time....a few hrs in the evenings every couple months....anyone I know can make it work....but sacrificing a half days wages or a full days to attend....

fishingbc,

I don’t know you personally but I want to share my thoughts as one who is involved in the SFAB process and also distant from the Area 14 SFAC committee. I am local SFAC chair, also sit on the South Coast Board and have a seat at the Main SFAB Board too. I am not writing this to get into a sparring match with you or others on this forum but merely offer my perspective and provide some free advice. Frankly, I am a little surprised that the SFBC moderators haven’t tapped you on the shoulder yet over some of your postings.

Over a year ago I read about this Area 14 SFAC meeting issue on this forum and as I remember you were the generator of that topic/issue back then too. Recently, forum members have all witnessed your continued personal assault on the chair and vice-chair of the Area 14 SFAC through inappropriately plastering this site with your vitriol. Plus you seem to add postings to your own topics to keep them active and up top. This comes across to me as if you are ‘stuck’ on this issue and have become blinded by your mission.

And I have to ask, what really is your mission?

No information - I read before that you were being blocked from information about the meeting, and then I read you had received meeting minutes, were invited to the meetings and if you couldn’t attend given the option to bring issue to the Area 14 SFAC committee for consideration by email. You recently write about minutes of the meeting yourself, which means to me you ARE NOT blocked from the meeting content and can easily present your issues or bring other’s issues forward.

Evening Meetings - you clearly wanted evening meetings. I am correct in suggesting there have been 2 evening meetings (one on Dec 4th which was widely advertised) within the past year. Most SFACs around the province only have two meeting per year anyway. Stop going on about this! The evening meeting issue has been dealt with already by the local SFAC to be more accessible to anglers.

Secret meetings - you seem to continue to claim that you are trying to expose some skulduggery by a few in the local SFAC to block the public from attending or being part of decision process. This is actually blatantly untrue and you are lying to the forum members by implying such. All the Area 14 SFAC meetings are open to the public, just because they happen when you are unable to attend personally doesn’t constitute a ‘secret meeting behind closed doors’. Representatives do attend those meetings in their official capacity as elected or appointed voices for the angling community (such as the BCWF rep, etc) to make sure local anglers interests are addressed.

Greater angler participation – there actually is no issue here if all meetings are broadcast, open to the public and now even twice in a year they are held in the evening. If anglers do not show up it is not the volunteers at the SFAC who are at fault here.

Closing fisheries – Puntledge River has serious issues with summer water temps, summer-run chinook and cutties, plus Cowichan chinook are in crisis - correct. However please DO NOT write topics that lie to and implant fear in forum members about DFO ‘closures’ occurring or being imminent without any consultation, when all you want is to get your own issue across yet again. All potential closures will be consulted about prior to a regulation being enacted. By writing this alarmist claptrap on SFBC only brings the SFAB and its excellent process into question. And know any measures for next year’s chinook management will be addressed at the Chinook and Coho Working Group later this month and DFO has not outlined any plans for change yet.</u>

Reviewing the above facts and observations indicates to me that you are not actually crusading for local anglers but more likely furthering your emotion-driven efforts to discredit and debase the chair and vice-chair of the Area 14 SFAC committee. It is my sense you are becoming more desperate.

Some of your ranting has been very personalized and directed at the individuals who are members of the Area 14 SFAC. IMHO this has become totally inappropriate and even though you may not like those individuals, making your ‘crusade’ personal is not good for your image on this forum. And what’s worse, in my opinion some of the words you have written here border on libel. So FWIW you might want to tone it down buddy or you may easily hear from a lawyer soon about what you have written on this forum.

I know Bob Cole and respect his input but I must wonder if Bob actually knew the full story here before he penned his emailed. Or perhaps got ‘hooked’ into his comments with only half the story. Sadly, what I have heard is one of the Area 14 SFAC members, who also happens to be the chair of the SFAB Groundfish Working Group, has expressed his total frustration with your ranting and malicious behaviour. He has suggested if it doesn’t stop soon he will quit the entire SFAB process. Not good at all my friend! That is a potential disaster for us! He is a genius when it comes to facts and figures on groundfish issues, especially halibut. This would be a huge loss to the SFAB and our process and all tidal anglers in BC if he actually were to step down. He gives hundreds and hundreds of hours per year of his time selflessly as a volunteer to the SFAB process and brings his expertise without charge to the table.

If you really want to get more people involved, do it in a non-confrontational manner and work with the folks in the local SFAC to look at ways to get more people understanding the process and involved. Throwing rocks is clearly not the answer.

So I offer this free advice:

1. Don’t plaster your issue all over the Sport Fishing BC forum (4 topics by you on this one issue and 2 topic high-jackings) and then continue posting on the topic yourself to keep it top of list. Forum members are not going to appreciate that behaviour.
2. Be very careful not to turn your own frustration into nasty personal attacks or slurs on Area 14 SFAC members and/or SFBC forum members. I am sure forum members will appreciate it much more if you tone it down and avoid the libellous rants.
3. Avoid implying that the SFAB process in Area 14 is not open and transparent for all to read on the open Internet. Besides being untrue there are potentially very unfortunate consequences that will hurt us all if you don’t stop.

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

I don’t know you personally but I want to share my thoughts as one who is involved in the SFAB process and also distant from the Area 14 SFAC committee. I am local SFAC chair, also sit on the South Coast Board and have a seat at the Main SFAB Board too. I am not writing this to get into a sparring match with you or others on this forum but merely offer my perspective and provide some free advice. Frankly, I am a little surprised that the SFBC moderators haven’t tapped you on the shoulder yet over some of your postings.

Over a year ago I read about this Area 14 SFAC meeting issue on this forum and as I remember you were the generator of that topic/issue back then too. Recently, forum members have all witnessed your continued personal assault on the chair and vice-chair of the Area 14 SFAC through inappropriately plastering this site with your vitriol. Plus you seem to add postings to your own topics to keep them active and up top. This comes across to me as if you are ‘stuck’ on this issue and have become blinded by your mission.

And I have to ask, what really is your mission?

No information - I read before that you were being blocked from information about the meeting, and then I read you had received meeting minutes, were invited to the meetings and if you couldn’t attend given the option to bring issue to the Area 14 SFAC committee for consideration by email. You recently write about minutes of the meeting yourself, which means to me you ARE NOT blocked from the meeting content and can easily present your issues or bring other’s issues forward.Attending regular area 14 meetings is quite different from these twice a year so-called "information meetings" Just ask the person who asked to bring forward a motion at the "information meeting" regarding the Puntledge and was told straight away that the area 14 sfac will only deal with those types of issues at their daytime meetings. Sure one can submit questions and concerns to the chair, but is this the open forum style that the sfab was structured around....hardly. These evening information meetings are just that nothing more.

Evening Meetings - you clearly wanted evening meetings. I am correct in suggesting there have been 2 evening meetings (one on Dec 4th which was widely advertised) within the past year. Most SFACs around the province only have two meeting per year anyway. Stop going on about this! The evening meeting issue has been dealt with already by the local SFAC to be more accessible to anglers.so why do you hold your regular meetings in the evenings or on weekends....come who are you kidding....just try to get the angling community down there to attend a 9:30 am meeting next Wednesday...again these "information meetings" are just that...the real business is done during the daytime meetings....ask the chair how many motions were considered, passed or heard during these evening "information meetings"

Secret meetings - you seem to continue to claim that you are trying to expose some skulduggery by a few in the local SFAC to block the public from attending or being part of decision process. This is actually blatantly untrue and you are lying to the forum members by implying such. All the Area 14 SFAC meetings are open to the public, just because they happen when you are unable to attend personally doesn’t constitute a ‘secret meeting behind closed doors’. Representatives do attend those meetings in their official capacity as elected or appointed voices for the angling community (such as the BCWF rep, etc) to make sure local anglers interests are addressed.you keep referring to the fact "that I cannot attend" If you think these posts are about me not being able to attend, your are way off the mark.....what would be the response from the re3c anglers down there if you started "regular" meetings at 9:30 AM....the numbers of anglers present would drop to almost nil and the interest in the process would dwindle....just like it has up here....secret, skulduggery,lying....hardly...OK you tell me then how many sfac's province wide hold their regular meetings during the day or do I have to post the minutes from all the local sfac's to prove my point

Greater angler participation – there actually is no issue here if all meetings are broadcast, open to the public and now even twice in a year they are held in the evening. If anglers do not show up it is not the volunteers at the SFAC who are at fault here.these meetings have been held for a decade during the daytime hours and as a result the simple knowledge that the sfab even exists here is wide spread...three persons outside the sfac here were able to get the word out for the first evening meeting last January and 70 some odd people showed up. This time nothing was done to see what happened just a few (9-10) Certainly not one person from outside the comox valley...the fault lies in no accessible meetings for the general public....what don't you understand....you say there is no issue well there are how many people living in Parksville, Nanoose,Qualicum Beach,Qualicum Bay Deep Bay Bowser and only that many show up....

Closing fisheries – Puntledge River has serious issues with summer water temps, summer-run chinook and cutties, plus Cowichan chinook are in crisis - correct. However please DO NOT write topics that lie to and implant fear in forum members about DFO ‘closures’ occurring or being imminent without any consultation, when all you want is to get your own issue across yet again. All potential closures will be consulted about prior to a regulation being enacted. By writing this alarmist claptrap on SFBC only brings the SFAB and its excellent process into question. And know any measures for next year’s chinook management will be addressed at the Chinook and Coho Working Group later this month and DFO has not outlined any plans for change yet.[/red]I sat around the area 14 table for 6-7 years and I am quite aware of all the local concerns and the puntledge chinook issues...if anyone wishes to voice their concerns over this possible closure they should be able to do it at the local level as was mentioned BY THE CHAIR, BUT ONLY DURING REGULAR DAYTIME MEETINGS. The issue was put forth by DFO and why would I be instilling fear in anyone when this subject was brought up at a public meeting, but any consultation, concerns, questions etc will only be dealt with by area 14 sfac at their daytime meeting....thats fair and open...to who

Reviewing the above facts and observations indicates to me that you are not actually crusading for local anglers but more likely furthering your emotion-driven efforts to discredit and debase the chair and vice-chair of the Area 14 SFAC committee. It is my sense you are becoming more desperate.I don't have to do that they have become quite efficient to it themselves. Desperate hardly, if anyone has made this personal it would be the two you are referring to.

Some of your ranting has been very personalized and directed at the individuals who are members of the Area 14 SFAC. IMHO this has become totally inappropriate and even though you may not like those individuals, making your ‘crusade’ personal is not good for your image on this forum. And what’s worse, in my opinion some of the words you have written here border on libel. So FWIW you might want to tone it down buddy or you may easily hear from a lawyer soon about what you have written on this forum.too funny I have a lawyer sitting right beside me

I know Bob Cole and respect his input but I must wonder if Bob actually knew the full story here before he penned his emailed. Or perhaps got ‘hooked’ into his comments with only half the story. Sadly, what I have heard is one of the Area 14 SFAC members, who also happens to be the chair of the SFAB Groundfish Working Group, has expressed his total frustration with your ranting and malicious behaviour. He has suggested if it doesn’t stop soon he will quit the entire SFAB process. Not good at all my friend! That is a potential disaster for us! He is a genius when it comes to facts and figures on groundfish issues, especially halibut. This would be a huge loss to the SFAB and our process and all tidal anglers in BC if he actually were to step down. He gives hundreds and hundreds of hours per year of his time selflessly as a volunteer to the SFAB process and brings his expertise without charge to the table.Bob is fully aware of the issue here and feel free to give him a call, no worries there....Bob smart enough to know whats what....No doubt the sfab groundfish guy does great work, have I ever questioned his work....he can still carry on his sfab work and sit out local evening meetings if his scheduled is that busy....the scope of his work is way beyond what is discussed at the area 14 table anyways....and further more threatening to quit over this has put the DFO staff looking into this in a tough spot no doubt and is really the only reason we are having these posts....other wise Devona and Bill would have mandated the change to evening meetings as they said they would at the meeting last week....not good my friend

If you really want to get more people involved, do it in a non-confrontational manner and work with the folks in the local SFAC to look at ways to get more people understanding the process and involved. Throwing rocks is clearly not the answer.[red]the ONLY WAY to getting more people invovled is the allow public access to the meetings and I don't mean the "information meetings" that just bring people up to speed with whats going on....they want to get involved not be perimeter players

Oh I get it now....slag us up here for demanding a change to evening and weekend meetings while holding your own in the evenings....like I said earlier feel free to change ALL of your meetings to early morning, weekday then come back on this forum and tell us how many rec anglers show up, then over time 10-12 years and see how many anglers know ANYTHING about the goings on of your local sfac or the sfab as a whole...you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth...you can't have it both ways....

Governor
Average Member

Canada
181 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 : 12:29:02 Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
Reminder - important Victoria SFAB Meeting on Wednesday Nov 4th
@ 7:00 PM in the Orchid Room of the Sandman Hotel on Douglas Street

Details on this site located at

Important Meetings, Derbys and SFBC Get Togethers
Victoria Area SFAB Mtg - Wed 4th Nov @ 7:00PM

or this link gets you there

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13730

DFO will be present to provide info on 2009 chinook and halibut fishing of Victoria and Sooke plus will discuss what to expect for 2010

Anglers Welcome - Please Plan to Attend

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

if you call fixing spelling mistakes and grammar adding to posts to "bump" them up you are way off target

Of course DFO hasn't outlined any plans yet BUT they will consider input from OUR local rec anglers and this discussion according to and announced by the Chair at the last meeting will only occur DURING THEIR REGULARLY SCHEDULED DAYTIME MEETINGS....I will write whatever I feel I need to regarding any issue and don't need you to tell me what is right and what is wrong....implanting fears...its called getting the word out as I know none will be coming out of these daytime meetings...trying to make me look like I don't care about the water temps, summer chinooks, cowichan etc your way off base...I was part of the group that developed the cowichan strategy here....regardless of what the chair may have you believe....bringing the sfab process into question see my next post....

Closing fisheries – Puntledge River has serious issues with summer water temps, summer-run chinook and cutties, plus Cowichan chinook are in crisis - correct. However please DO NOT write topics that lie to and implant fear in forum members about DFO ‘closures’ occurring or being imminent without any consultation, when all you want is to get your own issue across yet again. All potential closures will be consulted about prior to a regulation being enacted. By writing this alarmist claptrap on SFBC only brings the SFAB and its excellent process into question. And know any measures for next year’s chinook management will be addressed at the Chinook and Coho Working Group later this month and DFO has not outlined any plans for change yet.

Gov

Dragging Bob Coles judgment into question publicly is disgusting....Bob was fully aware of all issues here concerning the daytime meeting issue and in fact was more than willing to write a letter directly to the chair supporting the move to evening and weekend meetings well in advance of the Dec 3rd "information meeting", but after getting personal assurances from Devona Adams that Bill Shaw would deal with the issue on Dec 3rd and back the change to evening meetings I contacted Bob Cole directly and informed him of the decision made by Devona Adams. At that point both my self and Bob thought the letter was redundant and moved on. Tens days passed and it became quite clear that by the latest responses and lack there of from Devona Adams that something was not quite right....sensing this I asked Bob Cole for his support again and he gave it, on his own free will...furthermore...several local rec anglers, myself and some local freshwater guides etc has gotten wind of this threat of this possible resignation following last years evening "information meeting" and at that time thought it to be very questionable....in fact I heard it directly from one of the reps who sits on the local area 14 SFAC....
As a senior SFAB rep (local, south-coast,main-board) are you speaking on behalf of the SFAB????? Are you suggesting that our local SFAB process is being held hostage from moving to evening and weekend meetings under threat of resignation by a few members of our local sfac????? If this is the case then yes the whole sfab process IS questionable, at least here locally in area 14....NOT GOOD AT ALL MY FRIEND....if you are not speaking for the SFAB which I have reason to believe is the case maybe it is time for the main board as a whole to publicly issue a statement to clear this up....as far as Devona Adams and Bill Shaw dealing with this now, I suggest this goes way</u> beyond their powers and into DFO senior staffers to deal with....if you are speaking on behalf of the SFAB as a whole I would suggest to you my friend, that you take all the comments I have made seriously and look into the FACTS before putting yourself in a position where you do more harm than good......

I know Bob Cole and respect his input but I must wonder if Bob actually knew the full story here before he penned his emailed. Or perhaps got ‘hooked’ into his comments with only half the story. Sadly, what I have heard is one of the Area 14 SFAC members, who also happens to be the chair of the SFAB Groundfish Working Group, has expressed his total frustration with your ranting and malicious behaviour. He has suggested if it doesn’t stop soon he will quit the entire SFAB process. Not good at all my friend! That is a potential disaster for us! He is a genius when it comes to facts and figures on groundfish issues, especially halibut. This would be a huge loss to the SFAB and our process and all tidal anglers in BC if he actually were to step down. He gives hundreds and hundreds of hours per year of his time selflessly as a volunteer to the SFAB process and brings his expertise without charge to the table.

Gov, you are not alone!

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

I have to agree with Fishngbc on this. 2 "informationl meetings" per year are great for those out of the information loop. But for those who are in the loop, there isn't much to be learned. Not much point of showing up other than to support the process. What about when important motions are considered and passed or rejected? River closures ect...Perhaps some people would like to take part in these "working" meetings? Do all of you that aren't involved in the process even realize you are entitled to an opinion and a VOTE in these important decsions? Thats right, you me and joe 6 pack get to vote on important motions being considered for the main board. Don't you think as many people as possible should be encouraged to take part?

Now I've heard everything....hot off the press in the "official" area 14 SFAC newsletter better known as Ralph Shaw's "outdoor" column in the Comox Valley Record.

"and they have found that it works to have daytime meetings, avoiding hazardous night driving"

If this is to be added to all the BS excuses that this group is using then they should ALL quit....using a silly excuse like you can't drive at night to attend these meetings is just plain bizarre....

Ralph Shaw has spent his life promoting sport fishing, hunting and all outdoor related activities FOR ALL....why exclude a huge portion of the angling community from attending these meetings by supporting this "daytime only" meeting train of thought...my 19 year old son and a bunch of his buddies would love to get involved, but when you get guys like Ralph Shaw backing this "daytime only" thing, how are our youth anglers ever gonna get involved or be part of this SFAB process....I received a call this morning from a local guide this morning regarding Ralph Shaw's article who was just fuming over this latest insult to our intelligence....Ralph has done tons of good things in his life don't get me wrong or come out swinging but he is way off the mark one this one....

Top ten excuses why the area 14 sfac won't meet in the evening

-the room at the DFO Comox office is too small
-DFO staff can only attend daytime meetings
-these meetings get out of control with too many in attendance
-our local reps are too busy doing other DFO related and enhancement activities
-anyone can e-mail their question and comments to the chair
-the whole group will quit outright
-the Courtenay Fish & Game Clubhouse has limited availability
-all the local rec anglers need is two "information meetings" a year to be kept up to speed on their decisions
-because "we know whats best for you"
-because it's dark at night.......

round n round we go.....

I also have to disagree with Ralph's article. I do have much repect for him and what he does & has done for our sports. Just don't agree with him on this.

Back