Area 14 SFAC meeting Wed. Jan. 28 7-9PM

quote:Originally posted by GLG

quote:Originally posted by tortuga

GLG, How can I help by attending the meeting?
The way I see it, just by showing up you will help encourage the volunteer board members to keep up the good work. You will have stood up and be counted as a concerned member of our community. You will have educated yourself on the issues that affect our area. You will make contact with others and maybe find a way to contribute to solutions.

See you there. Tortuga.

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

GLG-- dont be fooled by his "consiracy theory" He quit in a huff (before he really contributed anything) a while ago because the committee would not bend over for him-- he tried the same abrasive style as he has here. It does not work with volunteers who try to work through issues on a consensus basis.

Took me a few posts to figure out who he was.

One of the things that will be discussed at the upcoming meeting is how to make the process better. But it should be realized that the Area 14 bunch is a well functioning productive committee. That is proven out by the record of motions that have gone to and been passed by the South Coast Board.

See you at the meeting

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder
surprised it you so long to figure the conspiracy out Bryan...quit in huff, not quite, out of frustration yes....not contributing... maybe in your eyes...as far as bending, why would you want to do that...having input from the guiding community put forth time and time again only to see these ideas dropped like a hot potatoes
salmon conservation stamp
18" vs 24 1/2 Chinooks retention in the strait
meeting times
native and commercial involvement at the meetings
catch data changed on licenses to allow data to be gathered and recorded
etc etc
maybe Gerry can post the minutes from all the sfab groups that he sent around last fall proving that they ALL meet in the evenings or on the weekends with DFO personnel at ALL of them, then maybe the folks reading this can see for themselves what I have been posting about all along....or maybe just state it publicly and get on with moving the meetings in step with all the other groups so Joe fisherman can attend...sure the group passes motions, but if major portions of area 14 are not involved in the process the whole of area 14 is being represented....is as clear as can be....thx to GLG for putting up signs today

fishingbc AKA hookedup

FISHING BC ONLINE/G&M FISHING CHARTERS
www.fishingbc.ca info@fishingbc.ca

quote:having input from the guiding community put forth time and time again only to see these ideas dropped like a hot potatoes
meeting times
etc etc

Give it a rest Gil-- you know damn well that those options were discussed FULLY with DFO and THEY set the standards. To **** all over those that are trying to make the process work makes you part of the problem-- not part of the solution. Anyway-- you stormed off because the committee wouldnt do what you wanted so you demanded that your name be taken off the email distribution list. So why dont you just stop trying to obstruct those that ARE trying to do something for recreational fishermen. I am not going to waste any more of my time with you. I will work with the folks that DO have legit questions and suggestions that attend the meeting.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

quote:having input from the guiding community put forth time and time again only to see these ideas dropped like a hot potatoes
meeting times
etc etc

Give it a rest Gil-- you know damn well that those options were discussed FULLY with DFO and THEY set the standards. To **** all over those that are trying to make the process work makes you part of the problem-- not part of the solution. Anyway-- you stormed off because the committee wouldnt do what you wanted so you demanded that your name be taken off the email distribution list. So why dont you just stop trying to obstruct those that ARE trying to do something for recreational fishermen. I am not going to waste any more of my time with you. I will work with the folks that DO have legit questions and suggestions that attend the meeting.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder
Bryan the problem is with guys like you who are not interested in getting others involved, that is quite obvious by your refusal to admit that the timing of these meetings are a JOKE....you know...and everyone else I talk to about it knows it...not one of the items I mentioned ever made it passed the table and to say that they were discussed fully is an outright lie...look at your minutes from the meetings....stormed off...just never showed up...if you call that storming off....well.....demanded that I take my name off the e-mail list...give me a break....should I post the e-mail I sent to Gerry asking him in seven words "please take me off your e-mail list"...nobody is obstructing anyone....just trying to make a change that should have happened some time ago to allow Joe fisherman to come to the meetings without taking the day off work........what don't you understand about that........isn't that why this meeting is being held in the evening, just like I requested last year....most of the guys who sat at the table fully agree with me anyway...looks like my ideas are getting somewhere....or are you gonna say that it was your bright idea to hold a meeting in the evening so more folks could attend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

surprised it you so long to figure the conspiracy out Bryan...quit in huff, not quite, out of frustration yes....not contributing... maybe in your eyes...as far as bending, why would you want to do that...having input from the guiding community put forth time and time again only to see these ideas dropped like a hot potatoes
meeting times
etc etc.

All of these were dealt with and in the minutes of the South Coast meeting of the SFAB.
These minutes were sent out to members of the SFAB and SFAC"s.
Cannot help if you did not read them or did not get them.
As a member of the guiding community, you should have received these from them as well as they are represented at most of the SFAC's and on the South and Main Board.

quote:Originally posted by OldBlackDog

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

meeting times
etc etc.

All of these were dealt with and in the minutes of the South Coast meeting of the SFAB.
As a member of the guiding community, you should have received these from them as well as they are represented at most of the SFAC's and on the South and Main Board.
send them along....

quote:Originally posted by fishingbc

meeting times
etc etc.

send them along....
Gerry which south coast meeting
April 6-5 in nanaimo

november 22-23 nanaimo??? or any others I should be tracking down????

meeting times
etc etc.

after obtaining the detailed meeting minutes of November 22/23 2008 SFAB south coast board meeting from Bill Shaw the only item that was addressed was
- native and commercial involvement at the meetings brought up by a Tofino rep

AGENDA.

SFAC Meeting, January 28th, 7pm. Courtenay & District Fish and Game Club.

Welcome and Introduction of present SFAC members.

SFAB/SFAC process, Questions?

Hatchery final numbers . Puntledge, Big Q, Little Q, Nile Creek,

Trent, Little River , Oyster River ( Englishman escapement?)

Groundfish update inc. Halibut, Lingcod, IPHC meetings.

Shellfish update.

2009 Salmon season forecast.

2008 Area 14 Enforcement actions.

Old Business-- Area 14 Crab request, shellfish reserves.

New Business

Question and Answer Period

quote:Originally posted by holmes

WHO THE HELL CARES WHO SAID THIS AND WHO SAID THAT....THAT WAS MY IDEA..HE STOLE IT....ITS ABOUT THE FISH...THE FISH...THE FISH....THE FISH...CUT THIS CRAP OUT....THE IN-FIGHTING IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS
im about ready to smash something rite now after wasting my time with this post...and ya all the stuff mentioned about the meeting up here in gold river is true...we always have atleast a couple of dfo reps...i just cant get over the arguing...WTF...STOP IT...HOLMES*
at least there are some 1280 more folks who know what the hell is going on in our area...that is the whole point....get the word out so more of us get involved...that's the ONLY way things are going to change...if posting these sort of things here is what it takes to bring about change, then so be it....

So .... how did the meeting turn out folks? How many showed? DFO, anglers and guides?

Am trusting no one got beheaded by a vigilanty group.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

quote:Originally posted by Governor

So .... how did the meeting turn out folks? How many showed? DFO, anglers and guides?

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

The meeting was well attended. Approx.60 participants including 3 commies and 5 dfo. The meeting was well chaired and ran smooth. Good explanation of what is going on with hali except that we have no real answers yet.
Springs look a little scary if they happen to list the puntledge with sara.
One thought I had after the meeting is that the puntledge and other hatcheries that clip should probably only be clipping @ 50% until the numbers are up. Just my 2cents.
One member did mention reduced bag limits on salmon and adding a place to keep track of halibut to the sports license was also brought up to dfo.

quote:Originally posted by bonkem

quote:Originally posted by Governor

The meeting was well attended. Approx.60 participants including 3 commies and 2 dfo. The meeting was well chaired and ran smooth. Good explanation of what is going on with hali except that we have no real answers yet.
Springs look a little scary if they happen to list the puntledge with sara.
One thought I had after the meeting is that the puntledge and other hatcheries that clip should probably only be clipping @ 50% until the numbers are up. Just my 2cents.
One member did mention reduced bag limits on salmon and adding halibut to the license was also brought up to dfo.
considering there was little to no notice or effort by the local sfab to get the word out there was as mentioned above around sixty people there. Five DFO staff, two from puntledge hatchery, two enforcement (one working into another position), two commercial and no first nations...tackle store employees, the DFO recreational staffer was under prepared and had few answers, statistics etc (eg: returns to Black Creek) a crucial indicator creek for the area. For those who were able to make it, there was a good cross section of guides, fly fishers, enhancement volunteers, rec anglers, youth anglers and concerned citizens...this was the way all future area 14 sfab meetings should be run....open to the general public...this was by far the best attended meeting I have seen after sitting around the area 14 table for seven or so years, I was extremely happy with the wide range of concerns raised, questions asked, and topics covered. DFO enforcement was extremely well prepared with a great presentation and lots of solid info....the disappointing fact that people living in Fanny Bay, Deep Bay, Bowser, Qualicum Bay, Qualicum Beach, Parksville and Nanoose had little or no contact from the area 14 board
in regards to this evening meeting. Extending invitations to fly fishing clubs, fish and game clubs, guides, lodge owners, rec fishermen/persons etc in this area is crucial to making the sfab process work for the WHOLE AREA, not just the Comox Valley. Judging by the area 14 chairs comments at the end of the meeting, this doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon....

I would like to thank the Chair, the local SFAB/SFAC board members and the Courtenay Fish & Game Clubhouse for holding this meeting. I have sat on volunteer boards in the past and can appreciate the effort that goes into running and being part of such an organization. I would also like to thank the employees of DFO (local, regional, enforcement, and hatchery) for talking the time to attend, report and listen to our concerns. We as a group, have common goals for our resource and our way of life. It does not matter if fishing is a sport or it is connected to you making a living. Without the fishing we would lose a major part of our lives.

I never realized how complex all the issues were. I think it would be near impossible to make everyone happy when it comes to all the issues we have in area 14. My hope is that we can all work together to bring forward solutions. After all if you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem. You can sit on the sidelines and point fingers or stand on a soapbox and shout, but if you see a problem do sometime about it. We have streams that need work. Hatchery’s that need volunteers. We have shorelines that need to be cleaned. We have the public and youths that need to be educated and informed. The list of problems is long just pick one and find a way to contribute to the solution.

There were many issues discussed and I cannot go into detail, as I did not take notes.
From memory I will try to summarize some of the topics discussed.

There is a problem with the seals in the Comox Harbour / Puntledge river. It is of major concern and action is going forward and a responsible plan is taking shape. As long as no vigilantly group takes action that upsets the local population I think we may have a resolution before next spring.

Returns of summer run Springs in the Puntledge were low (500?) So low that there is talk that if something was not done, they may go on the SAR (species at risk) list. This would be very bad and we could see major closures to the fishing from here to points north. My feeling is that this (SAR) is very unlikely to happen. For those who don’t know we have 2 runs of Chinook, summer and fall. The fall run are holding their ground but were less than expected. Same for Coho. Chum returns were more than expected over 60K (didn’t write any numbers down so this is from memory)

The new Federal Budget was discussed but it’s too soon to tell if the DFO hatcheries will see an increase in their budgets. This has the potential to be really good news if they get more money.

Coho numbers from the Oyster River were outstanding (18K). Their reasons for that are many, one could be that all the effort this local volunteer group has done to making this river system whole again from the devastation a forest fire created when it left the river silted up. They have created and enhanced spawning channels and have a hatchery system that works. It should be noted that they do not depend on the hatchery as they feel the stream is where all the success is coming from. They do not clip Coho and that may be part of there success also. Although I respect there decision not to clip it sure would be nice to hook one of those and bring it home. For those that know me they know I would like to see all hatchery fish clipped or change the rule about releasing none marked fish. And yes I know we are can keep one of each in area 14 later in the summer. That doesn’t help me when I’m far a field and getting one after another that are not clipped.

Herring fishing was discussed and why do we even let it happen when the salmon need to eat this resource to survive.

A concern of over fishing of crabs was discussed with some scenarios to share the resources between FN, Recs and Commies. DFO is requesting input from SFAB on how they think the management of this resource can be shared. I think we will be hearing more about this issue as it unfolds in the coming months.

Halibut season was discussed and how the lowered quote will affect us. They know we have a problem but I think it is up to the Minister and talks are continuing.

As noted by others the board will bring up the issue of having their meetings held in public but as it was explained to me their rules only allow two public meetings per year. I don’t know if this will change but I did hear the chair say they would bring this request up at their next meeting.

A sign in sheet was passed around so those in attendance could give their email address if they wanted to be informed on issue concerning our area.

For me it was a good meeting and was very civilized considering the frustration of the poor fishing last year and the pending delay to the upcoming halibut season.

Thanks again to all that attended.

GLG – Recreational Fisherman / Volunteer at Little River Enhancement
Comox BC

Thanks for the positive input GLG. I am sorry that a family emergency drew me away from the meeting, but I have received several updates from guys that attended that indicated the meeting was usful.
Just to clarify one point on the meetings for everyone. The SFAC Terms of Reference only call for a minimum of two meetings a year, prior to the South Board SFAC meetings. That is so that the area SFAC's can submit an updated report to the South Board for discussion or to provide Motions to be voted on by the South Board, before the motions go to the Main Board... Clear as mud??? [8D]

In the past the Area 14 Chair has called meetings when a hot issue arose that needed input from our area. One year I believe we had five. From the point of view of getting input to guide us, the type of meeting that was held last night was important especially when trying provide useful information on hot button items like halibut.
Can we please everyone when we have the meetings? No- and I dont think Gerry could even if he tried. Case in point.. we have two members that live in the Qualicum Parksville area. They did not attend. Could be for a variety of reasons, but I suspect that a long drive at night just might be part of the reason.
But is it the end of the world if every angler or committee member cannot attend each meeting? Not in the least. As I pointed out before I had to leave the meeting, we now have an email list that people can use to get in touch with the committee. If anyone wants a topic or idea brought-up, email it in. It will be addressed. You can also ask to make a presentation to the Committee if you wish.
I guess its not a perfect system, but we are trying to improve it. But as volunteers, there is only so much that people can be expected to do. Some like Chuck Ashcroft volunteer hundreds of hours, perhaps
more. The morning after the meeting he had to take off to a 4 day meeting down south as the Chair of the Groundfish Committee that meets the day before the Main Board of the SFAC and is one of the main Canadian participants in the halibut allocation dispute. Cant thank the guy enought.
When and where the next meeting will be held is up to the Chair. Stay tuned. ;)" Minutes will be emailed out after Chuck gets back and puts then together.

Lazoman- as I had to leave the meeting prematurely I dont think your question about why rec salmon fishermen are not allowed in RCAs was addressed. I will get that "official" answer and get back to you.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Hi CL, and thanks. For the record, my choice would be to keep everyone out of the RCAs. Allowing Commies in there for any activity at all is not right. I see there is specific notice to not allow commercial trolling in the RCAs in the post "Area G Commercial Chinook Opening Feb 1st", but all other activities should be stopped as well.

Back