Are there fish in Kennedy Lake?

AutoReverse

Just wondering if anyone has caught anything in Kennedy Lake located near Tofino. I've been there twice and have been skunked both times. Very few signs of any fish either. Is there not enough food in this lake to sustain a trout population?

I have camped around there in the past and do know that there is "supposedly" rainbows and cutthroats in there.

What's also weird is that there are lots of seals in the lake that must swim up the river from Clayoquot Sound. They must be feeding on something.

Have been wondering about fish in Kennedy Lake every time I drive past on the way to Ukee - there must be salmon going through because the river that runs along the highway has plenty of salmon - I did pull over and walk down there to verify.

There are some beautiful and large cuttys to be caught if you know where they are or if you are lucky enough to find them.

Talk to the guys at Clayoquot Ventures as they may provide a tidbit or two for you. The shop is on the left hand side just across the street from Weight West.

Yep...there are fish in Kennedy lake.

Cutt-throats.

There are Sockeye......when they are returning.......(non-retention though).

Seals pick 'em off down by the bridge at the far end of the lake. Seals come into the lake to hunt for Cutts too.

Seals usually stay down by the bridge end.

At this time of year , Cutts hang out by the bridge,waiting to bump the eggs out of the returning salmon.

There are other places for Cutts too....but I'm not going to divulge my honey-holes.

Thermal winds can turn that lake from flat-calm to a churning mess in short order. Usually in the afternoon.

Waves can get fairly hefty at times from wind.

The launch at the Park on the highway is o.k. when it's not busy. No dock to tie up to though.

On long weekends or any hot weekend it can be a really tight squeeze for parking and turning around because of lots of people with boats and trailers etc.

You don't want to be crossing that lake in a small boat. As I said it can blow up bad at times out of the blue.

There is a road further up the highway that will take you to the bridge.
It will also take you to the other Park they have.

Drive to the bridge from the highway turn-off is about 15k plus if I remember. It's a fair jaunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished this lake mainly from shore nice cutties for sure around the campsite and bridge. BY the estuary at the kennedy river side i have seen quite a few reds going up and there is alot of pea mouth chumb or whitefish there (not sure which one) . Interested to see if there are larger fish maybe in the lake to be targeted, but offshore is right there sooooo, not likely ever putting in there.

I camped there behind the bridge that led to the lake. Yes, I saw a few bright sockeyes jumping at sunset. One of ccampers caught a very small trout and released at rivers mouth that led to Tofino Inlet. Bears visit there quite often.

SilverStreak... there are indeed peamouth chub in the Kennedy - actually Mureil lake and the Kennedy mainstem (tho i suspect they are also in the big lake). I worked on the in university. No doubt about it.

I lived in Ukee back in the late '80's early 90's and fished Kennedy Lake frequently. I fished from shore with flies mostly near creek mouths and caught many cutthroat. I frequently found that they had been feeding on Stickle back and sometimes adult Sedges. Minnow Muddlers worked very well. I had my best luck early Spring and late Summer.

Back