Are our fishing licences not a legal document allowing us to keep fish??

John Ingram

If the government gave us a paid for legal document (our fishing licences) with a retention stamp that would allow us to fish and to retain spring salmon and they knew before april 1st that these licences would become
invalid wouldn't that be illegal that they kept selling them right up to the release of the closures ???
Are there any lawyers that would like to have a look at this. Just a thought

Thanks

John I

you can still retain Chinook in some Pacific areas. Also, a fishing license doesn't make us "entitled" to retaining the fish.

...wouldn't that be illegal that they kept selling them right up to the release of the closures ???
John I

Our licences have a condition that the license holder agrees to abide by the Act and regulations. Closures are part of the regulations.

License

noun

1. a permit from an authority to own or use something, do a particular thing, or carry on a trade (especially in alcoholic beverages).
Permit means permission is given by the authority. And permission can be revoked.

License

noun

1. a permit from an authority to own or use something, do a particular thing, or carry on a trade (especially in alcoholic beverages).
Permit means permission is given by the authority. And permission can be revoked.

Yes revoked only after how many licences were sold with retention stamps. I would say a big bonus for the government.
I would like to know how many were sold with the government knowing that there would be a closure.

Just rotton

If the government gave us a paid for legal document (our fishing licences) with a retention stamp that would allow us to fish and to retain spring salmon and they knew before april 1st that these licences would become
invalid wouldn't that be illegal that they kept selling them right up to the release of the closures ???

Thanks

John I
Solid logic right there.... ;):):(
I guess a food handler's license is a legal document that allows me to eat off of other people's plates.

Yes revoked only after how many licences were sold with retention stamps. I would say a big bonus for the government.
I would like to know how many were sold with the government knowing that there would be a closure.

Just rotton

3 points in response:

First, everyone who was thinking about fishing for Chinook this year had to know, whether based on restrictions imposed last year, or just by paying attention, that there was a huge risk of limited or no Chinook fishing this year.

Second, you need a stamp to keep any salmon, so if you plan on keeping a coho, pink, chum or sockeye. '

Third, the stamp is $6.30 per year. That's a full dollar less than a single imperial gallon of gas in Victoria right now.

Based on this, haven't we got more important issues to worry about?

It’s the principle of the matter. Gov knew they’d be closing the fishery. They should have offered some kind of discount on the licenses. It’s akin to buying a gift card then the vendor refusing to accept it. I can think of a few other words that meet this definition.

It’s the principle of the matter. Gov knew they’d be closing the fishery. They should have offered some kind of discount on the licenses. It’s akin to buying a gift card then the vendor refusing to accept it. I can think of a few other words that meet this definition.

The license is for halibut, rockfish, lingcod, other salmons, crab etc. etc. A lot more than just Chinook.

For anyone that fishes out of a boat (and arguably anyone who fishes period), the cost of the license and the stamp is so small in relation to what it costs to fish that it is meaningless.

A discount? I would happily pay three times the current cost if it would be used for fishery enhancement. Our oceans and fisheries are in trouble and people want a nickel and dime discount on a dirt cheap license? People need to rethink their priorities.

@Saxe Point I was speaking directly to the salmon stamp as a point of principle. Target salmon is chinook. They’ve removed 1/4 of the year in general and prime season for this species. Dollars add up. A few dollars for us but tens of thousands for DFO. And THAT is the problem.

My God. These forums have gotten really stupid since April 1 st. People are bitching about spending 30$ for a license that is good for 365 days. One could gather thousands of dollars worth of seafood without ever catching a salmon. Everyone knew what was coming down the pike as far as restrictions go, buying a license was a CHOICE, nobody forced you to do it.

I buy the licence and stamp almost every year just for a CHANCE to catch and take home SALMON. In a GOOD year I may take home 3-4 fish.
There are years where I have not even bought a licence just to give the SALMON a chance to get ahead.. I have NEVER in my life filled my licence
with 20- 30 SALMON. I do not want Ling Cod,Rock Cod,Halibut Mussles Clams,Oysters, or any other sea life. If I catch A SALMON it will feed
5 to 10 people not just me and my partner. I rarely get a chance to get out in a boat and do 99% of my fishing from the shore spincasting Buzzbombs.
In 45 years fishing I have caught just 50 salmon that I have taken home and shared. That is MY idea of conservation

John,

I totally respect your thoughts on conservation and only taking what you need. I think you are little off base on the license though. The license is a general purpose (all fish species, shellfish, crab, prawns). The salmon tag is also good for all species. You don't get to be choosey with it. Think of a drivers license, some people only drive a few days a year and pay the same price for their license as people that drive every day. That is just the way it works.

The price of the license is nominal for the opportunities for retention that it provides overall.

Too bad that the unregulated net fishers on the Fraser weren’t as respectful to our Chinook as the majority of sports fishers.

Thanks

John I
Is this why you joined the forum? To stir everyone up even more than they already are?

Not trying to be argumentative but my understanding is that when we purchase the license we do so knowing that the regulations for any given area can change at any time. This would be the reason they say "you should" check the current regs for your area "every time you go out". It is the fishers responsibility to know what he is allowed to fish, retain etc at all times. Just my understanding of the regs but I'm often wrong,,,,just ask my wife.

Back