Are Boats Taxed

W

Whaler

Hi Just wondered when I buy a used boat in a private sale what taxes apply just for the trailer , what about the boat ????Thanks inadvance

Hey Whaler yes provincial taxes apply when your license your boat. (register) and when you go to get your trailer plates ICBC will graciously accept your 7% at that time as well.

Beemer ~~~~Thanks for the news must adjust the totals :D~~~~

Whaler

Get a bill of sale for the trailer and one for the boat (hull only). Take in the BOS for the trailer for your insurance and then take in the BOS for the hull when you register. Saves time and money as the tax man will get you.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Does anybody but me wonder why PST is paid over and over again on the same item? Does it not seem a little unfair to keep paying tax on top of tax? I saw a good one the other day where the PST was called the "Social Services Tax". I guess this makes you feel better about getting screwed.

I bought a boat -repo, no registration , filled out a declaration form and had it stamped by a lawyer and registered the boat and no tax. Guess I was lucky

Two years after i registered my boat the tax man came knocking for the pst, Eventually they cross check with the feds to see who registered their new or new to them boats.

arrgg, I agree it seems unfair to pay the pst over and over.

quote:Originally posted by JDR

I bought a boat -repo, no registration , filled out a declaration form and had it stamped by a lawyer and registered the boat and no tax. Guess I was lucky

It has been over a year for me...but I hear they DO catch up with you, so we have the $$$ sitting in one of those Tax Free Saving accounts just sitting there waiting for when they do come a calling.

My understanding is that they will catch up with you sooner or later.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Don't forget your paying the pst with after-tax income.:([B)] I'm not against paying taxes, but charging the same tax on an item that has already been taxed is a concept that only government could come up with.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

Ya I checked And either pay all your 7% on both boat and trailer at transfer time or a s eperate 7 % pst slip just keep it cause they do double check later to try get more later new , used ,private or dealer

I shouldn't say this out loud but...
i applied to Service Canada almost 2 years ago and got my boat licence.
so far no bill for PST, are they linked to the Tax dept. ??

I was dicussing this last night with friends and one said that due to the Freedom of Info act, the Prov has to apply for the feds info and they have not beeen doing that. He says he got that from SC, but you can take it with a grain of salt. He is a stand up guy, so no BS from him, but maybe the SC person was talking to impress folks...who knows.

I will wait and see if we get a bill.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

If you haven't paid the tax your boat may not be registered to you.The provincial tax dept DOES share its tax info with the federal CRA under a new "understanding".
As soon as the Pleasure operator card becomes mandatory November 2009 the word is the heat is going to be turned up on boat owners. Look for boat ramp and marina enforcement for registration numbers properly displayed , registration and ownership papers on board and boat inspections for PFD's and flares.
Not sure where the manpower will come from , but if DFO is writing tickets and making money my guess is they are going to be milking the cow pretty hard.

Back