Are AGM batteries worth it?

Tightlines22

I have always managed with a starting battery plus either a regular deep cycle or combo battery.

Can I get your opinions and experiences on this? Trying to justify the significant extra costs for a blue top Optima.

TL22

I have always managed with a starting battery plus either a regular deep cycle or combo battery.
Can I get your opinions and experiences on this? Trying to justify the significant extra costs for a blue top Optima.
TL22
I have a AGM battery and it has performed just great for the last 4 years.
Are they worth the extra money? It depends on how you use it.
For me it gives me peace of mind knowing I have the best.
You no doubt know all of what I am about to say:
Most everyone now has a kicker that charges your battery which is a must if you are using electric downriggers.
As you know, deep cycle batteries are not good as starter batteries.
How often do you use your boat, is it moored, kept on a trailer, do you have 2 or more batteries, lots of questions.
If you trail your boat, use it only a couple of times a week during fishing season, it's not worth the extra expense assuming your kicker has a charger.
Sounds like you have a deep cycle and a starter battery.
So you are better then most.
For me my agm battery has outperformed all my previous batteries.
That's my 2 cents worth.

I just replaced my battery with an AGM and am very pleased. I find it holds a charge longer than my previous non-AGM battery, whether I am anchored up and running some electronics without running a motor, or if the boat has sat for a while. I run a single battery and carry a small battery jump starter for insurance.

Even without an AGM, I was trolling all day, running all my electronics (VHF, GPS chart plotter, fish finder) and running 2 downriggers up and down repeatedly without ever seriously discharging the battery. I am even more confident in my single battery setup with the AGM. But the booster pack is essential as it is the second starting battery.

Yes! Do it. I run twin AGM and never think about my batteries compared to when I had standard. Couple more bucks..totally worth it. Peace of mind and safety.

One more for the absorbed glass mat.
They are dual purpose charge faster
and last longer/life span. Just be sure
to use the right charger. The days of the old trickle chargers are long gone...

One more for the absorbed glass mat.
They are dual purpose charge faster
and last longer/life span. Just be sure
to use the right charger. The days of the old trickle chargers are long gone...
Really? What type of charger should be used with an AGM battery?

They are now called smart chargers.
Very sophisticated systems that manage
condition and maintain all types of batteries with a specific set itinerary
for each one...

I have used the same set of Elliminator AGM batteries now for 8 years now , great batteries, but will replace with Optimal batteries from Costco in the next few months. I’m sold on the extra cost as they last longer and great peace of mind while on the water.

I’ve used Canadian Energy batteries for the past 25 plus years and have always gone 7 years before getting rid of them for a fresh set. They were still fine just figured why push it, I got my monies worth out of them.

I have used Canadian Energy batteries for the past 5 years and have had no issues. That said I use them on a 14 ft Lund to start a Merc 20 4 stroke, run 2 Scotties and 2 chart plotters. If you happen to be an Island Health employee you get a nice discount.

Thanks for all the input. I think I will hedge my bets and keep my regular starting battery and replace my regular combo marine battery with a blue top Optima.

I have a kicker which helps charge and I charge up extra when only doing short runs on my main. So hopefully I’ve got it well covered.
TL22

TL22
Blue top Optima are AGM. They say not to mix AGM batteries with regular cell batteries. Is your starting battery AGM or cell?

I switched over to group 31 agm batteries about 4 years ago. (2 starting and 2 house) The pure lead batteries from Can Tire that are expensive. (over 400 each plus tax) At the time I wanted to have something that I thought was going to be reliable for many years. All the hype lead me to believe agm was the be all and end all at the time.
I only used them during the summer months on my boat and bring them into my garage over the winter and charge (top up) every couple of months. I bought 1 battery each year to make it "affordable" I just returned the first battery I purchased as it would no longer hold a charge and failed every test they put it under (load test, etc). I was lucky and caught it 2 months before the 3 year warranty expiry came into effect so I was given a replacement battery. (only 2 months warranty on it though...) The newer battery (identical) comes with a 4 year warranty now. This happening on the first purchased and oldest battery has shaken my confidence on the others. Main thing I've found is try not to run them past 50% discharge if possible. If you want to get any life out of them. I also have a few different battery monitors on the boat that I can check to see what voltage the batteries are at and what the amp draw is at any given time. Comes in pretty handy if you want to not put your batteries at risk imo. What really hurts is I had all lead acid batteries previously and got over 7 years with them with no issues. 2 of them are still in pretty good shape to this day. If I had to do it all over again, honestly I think I would stick with good quality commercial lead acid batteries. I've been reading and researching the newer LiFePO batteries and over the long run they seem like they might be a good choice. I have been using a small lithium titanate battery to run the winch on my potpuller and have been really impressed. Anyways I think the future is going to be going to these newer technology batteries soon and if you are a diy'er even building your own units from individual cells might be a good choice to look into. There are a ton of youtube video's out there on the subject.

images

Last edited:
I switched over to group 31 agm batteries about 4 years ago. (2 starting and 2 house) The pure lead batteries from Can Tire that are expensive. (over 400 each plus tax) At the time I wanted to have something that I thought was going to be reliable for many years. All the hype lead me to believe agm was the be all and end all at the time.
I only used them during the summer months on my boat and bring them into my garage over the winter and charge (top up) every couple of months. I bought 1 battery each year to make it "affordable" I just returned the first battery I purchased as it would no longer hold a charge and failed every test they put it under (load test, etc). I was lucky and caught it 2 months before the 3 year warranty expiry came into effect so I was given a replacement battery. (only 2 months warranty on it though...) The newer battery (identical) comes with a 4 year warranty now. This happening on the first purchased and oldest battery has shaken my confidence on the others. Main thing I've found is try not to run them past 50% discharge if possible. If you want to get any life out of them. I also have a few different battery monitors on the boat that I can check to see what voltage the batteries are at and what the amp draw is at any given time. Comes in pretty handy if you want to not put your batteries at risk imo. What really hurts is I had all lead acid batteries previously and got over 7 years with them with no issues. 2 of them are still in pretty good shape to this day. If I had to do it all over again, honestly I think I would stick with good quality commercial lead acid batteries. I've been reading and researching the newer LiFePO batteries and over the long run they seem like they might be a good choice. I have been using a small lithium titanate battery to run the winch on my potpuller and have been really impressed. Anyways I think the future is going to be going to these newer technology batteries soon and if you are a diy'er even building your own units from individual cells might be a good choice to look into. There are a ton of youtube video's out there on the subject.

images
IMO the Canadian tire batteries are crap period ,agm, conventional, gel does not seam to matter they all crap out quick from y experience,i stay away from there batteries.

IMO the Canadian tire batteries are crap period ,agm, conventional, gel does not seam to matter they all crap out quick from y experience,i stay away from there batteries.

There are very few battery manufacturers - and they make branded batteries for 100's - if not 1000s of different companies.

Last info I have for CT batteries listed below.

Deep cycle (Nautilus) batteries are from Exide Battery
Eliminator batteries are from Canadian Energy batteries.
Car batteries are from Deka batteries.
AGM batteries are from Northstar battery.

Costco (Kirkland) deep cycle are from Interstate Batteries. Cannot immediately recall who supplies the AGM, but I think I posted that info here quite some time ago.

Walmart deep cycles, at one time were from Johnson Controls, but they switched suppliers to either Deka or East Penn?

I could make this a 10,000 word post on batteries. But to really summarize: When it comes to buying batteries, a battery from one retailer may be same from another retailer - but with a different sticker / name on it. If you know the battery industry, it is oft-times, amusing to read through the internet where so many will slam one retailers battery, then claim that they then purchased a new battery from another retailer - and it is the same battery.

For what its worth, I have a CT 12 volt Nautilus battery along with 2 Costco 12 volt (Kirkland) deep cycle batteries and years later, no issues with either. My truck is going to need a new battery before next winter and the only difference for me in buying from CT or Costco, comes down to price at the time.

There are very few battery manufacturers - and they make branded batteries for 100's - if not 1000s of different companies.

Last info I have for CT batteries listed below.

Deep cycle (Nautilus) batteries are from Exide Battery
Eliminator batteries are from Canadian Energy batteries.
Car batteries are from Deka batteries.
AGM batteries are from Northstar battery.

Costco (Kirkland) deep cycle are from Interstate Batteries. Cannot immediately recall who supplies the AGM, but I think I posted that info here quite some time ago.

Walmart deep cycles, at one time were from Johnson Controls, but they switched suppliers to either Deka or East Penn?

I could make this a 10,000 word post on batteries. But to really summarize: When it comes to buying batteries, a battery from one retailer may be same from another retailer - but with a different sticker / name on it. If you know the battery industry, it is oft-times, amusing to read through the internet where so many will slam one retailers battery, then claim that they then purchased a new battery from another retailer - and it is the same battery.

For what its worth, I have a CT 12 volt Nautilus battery along with 2 Costco 12 volt (Kirkland) deep cycle batteries and years later, no issues with either. My truck is going to need a new battery before next winter and the only difference for me in buying from CT or Costco, comes down to price at the time.
Ok then who ever suplys canadien tires batteries suck, specially the nautillus brand

I ran 2 optima blue tops on my boat for 9 years. They are now in the camper. They don’t make them like the used to!

Ok then who ever suplys canadien tires batteries suck, specially the nautillus brand
Agree for my boat. They don’t last at all in my boat that I don’t use anywhere near often enough. I’ve switched to interstate deep cycles in my boat and have had zero issues over the last 4 years.

My truck has two Canadian tire batteries and they are still going strong and they are dated in 2015. It’s not easy to start a Cummins so I’m happy with that set of batteries.

Back