Arch/Tower Question

tyeeking

Hey guys,

I am going to have an arch fabricated for my 22' Weldcraft Maverick. Weldcraft has agreed to do the work for me which will be nice since they obviously have all of the deminsions for a nice fit.

What types of suggestions/ideas does the forum have for me to consider before I give the green light for construction?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Alan

Spot for a radar obviously. Two GPS mounts, two antenna mounts. A bunch of rocket launchers. Mounts for lights to shine on your deck. Speaker mounts? I'd get them to install a nice clean run for all the cabling on both port and starboard sides. Mount for a life-ring, emergency raft?

They probablly do it anyway but ask. to have a bar on the bottom of the rocket launchers so water can pass but the butt of the rod cant my first one didnt and the rod butt would pass through and rest on the reel seat which in time broke the reel seat also kept bumping your head on the butt, also make sure you personally can reach it I have seen some where you need to be 7 ft tall just to put the rod in.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I had a tower fabricated for my boat about a year ago. A couple things to consider are the angle of the rocket launchers. If they are angled too far back the rods in them will get in the way of the rod you're holding while playing a fish. Do get the holders for your net put on each side, very handy. I put two dual beam halogens facing forward and one facing rearward, probably use the rear facing one more to light up the back deck. I am fishing after dark a fair amount though. I had mine wired with plugs for all the lights mounted under the side rail so if I want to remove the tower I just unplug until I put it back on, four mounting plates attatched and four quick release pins to pull the tower off or fold it down. Make sure the wiring comes through the rear post so you can fold it down without affecting the wiring.
easter08andenvironmentalmindgrin-1.jpg

easter08andenvironmentalmindgrind08.jpg

easter08andenvironmentalmindgrin-2.jpg

easter08andenvironmentalmindgrin-3.jpg

Dont forget to add a moorage/anchor light on top, I had the moorage light/ tow post combo put on so I can pull wakeboarders, skiers, and tubers.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

Here is an example of what I mean about the angle of the rocket launchers. Imagine you're in the back of the boat playing a big spring that starts coming right at ya. You put your rod right up and into the rods stored in the tower.

boatweb.jpg

Steeper angle = up and out of the way

P1000799-1.jpg

My 2 cents anyways. Hope it helps.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

Great input. I really appreciate the ideas and the photos which make it so much easier to visualize. This site is such a great resource for all of us.

I'm thinking about adding a mount for a sonar on the arch. I spend most of my time sitting on the back of the boat while I fish and it would be easier to watch a unit mounted there than the one on the dash. Thoughts?

Keep those ideas coming. I'm really excited about this project!

Alan

Happy Hooker,

That's a great set-up that you have. Your arch is very well thought out. Could you post a close-up picture of how you did the mounting to the deck? I like the idea of making it removable and it looks like you did that in a very clean way.

Thanks,

Alan

I bought a 17 foot Arima Sea Ranger last year and was wondering if I should put a tower on it. I like the idea of a tower..... more lights mostly and a place to put your rods. My question is.... who should I go to in Victoria to have it made? and How much does it cost to have a tower made? Once I know how much it will cost to build then I will be able to decide if I can afford one. Even a ballpark cost would help me make up my mind. Thanks for your input...... Steve.

You can get a tower/arch in a box from Atlantic Towers. Adjustable universal fit. $1200 usd.
http://www.atlantictowers.com/at_sub/products_s_fa.html
Fantastic product, easy to install yourself but not strong enough to pull a skier/tuber. For me living in Osoyoos I wanted a dual purpose tower to pull people. I opted for a custom tower that you see, cost me $1500.00 can. Made from scratch by a guy in Mission.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

Happy Hooker,

Thank for sharing the pictures and for your input . . . it is greatly appreciated. That gives me some great ideas to put to paper and take to Weldcraft for the fabrication. You obviously preferred going with no paint. What are your thoughts on that?

Alan

The guy who made the tower for me actually wanted to paint the tower powder coated white but I figured that the tower looked just fine as it was and with no paint there would be no issues with chipping/scratches. The hull is aluminum after all, if it was fiberglass I probably would have painted it white.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

The guy who made the tower for me actually wanted to paint the tower powder coated white but I figured that the tower looked just fine as it was and with no paint there would be no issues with chipping/scratches. The hull is aluminum after all, if it was fiberglass I probably would have painted it white.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

Back