Aquaculture; improving????

Rico - I didn't say "hydrogen" - I said "hydrogen peroxide". Go back and re-read the post.

The newest well boats - like the aqua tromoy that cuttle posted about above have a reverse osmosis plant can make freshwater to use as well (pun intended). The screens on the aqua tromoy are 150 micron - so ya - they would remove the lice on the fish - but not those on the pens/nets in the water - or on the adjacent farms.

How's your search for supporting science on your assertions that "salmon do not produce an immune system for lice till there second year" going?

Rico - I didn't say "hydrogen" - I said "hydrogen peroxide". Go back and re-read the post.
I gave you credit point thinking you would figure it out.

Your a smart person and judging by your spamming this site with links..... google it

The net is empty....... change it out for a new one....
No more lice all gone. One way street....

I was led to believe this would be fixed about 2 years ago as it was not acceptable.
Yes or No??
It sure is bad PR!

Fixed, cost afew million and they are in final stages. Prv still tests positive but that is the part they are currently working on.

Multi million dollar project take afew years to accomplish, permits drawings, etc

Fixed, cost afew million and they are in final stages. Prv still tests positive but that is the part they are currently working on.

Multi million dollar project take afew years to accomplish, permits drawings, etc
After 30 plus years of this crap infecting the surrounding ocean no wonder no sockeye returned last year. Maybe the Open net virus spewing Fish Farms have finally killed off the last salmon. Just throwing a few million dollars after the fact does not negate the extent of the damage already caused. Glad to hear they are "working on" positive PRV still spewing out of the pipes.

I gave you credit point thinking you would figure it out.Your a smart person and judging by your spamming this site with links..... google it The net is empty....... change it out for a new one.... No more lice all gone. One way street....
Didn't need to google that it is "HYDROGEN PEROXIDE" that is either the main or sole ingredient in the treatment bath used by well boats that don't have a reverse osmosis plant, Rico. Quite the difference between hydrogen and hydrogen peroxide wrt efficiency in taking lice off and effects on fish.

Actually - no the reason they call the subadult and adult lice "motile" - is because they are - and often swim for short distances - especially when fish are disturbed - like when they are getting corralled and sucked into a well boat. There will still be lice attached to the net-pen and the nets that won't be on the fish that got sucked into the well boat - as well as in adjacent pens and FF sites. We all know that.

So - NO - not all "magically" "all gone" - kinda like your previous remark that "all" fish have sewerage in them - and that somehow invalidated critiques of the open net-cage industry.

Which reminds me of other unsupported assertions you have claimed:

How's your search for supporting science on your assertions that "salmon do not produce an immune system for lice till there second year" going?

Figured you could fill in the blanks......I was wrong.

I thought you could figure that out

End

that cuttle posted about above have a reverse osmosis plant can make freshwater to use as well (pun intended). The screens on the aqua tromoy are 150 micron - so ya - they would remove the lice on the fish - but not those on the pens/nets in the water - or on the adjacent farms.

Great time to change out the net..... its empty.

End

Google it your good at.

Mmmm dont think so

“The idea with this vessel is it’s 100 per cent lice capture,” said Courtlan Thomas, Mowi Canada’s lead well-boat captain, as he described the vessel’s specialized water treatment system. “Anything that’s going over the side is being UV treated and strained.”

Think you're missing the point, Rico (purposely?). Lice that stay on fish that end-up in the boat get filtered.

Those motile lice that come-off fish in the pens - stay in/on the pens/nets - including egg strings that are easy to dislodge.

Not sure why you are having trouble understanding this...

Mmmm dont think so

“The idea with this vessel is it’s 100 per cent lice capture,” said Courtlan Thomas, Mowi Canada’s lead well-boat captain, as he described the vessel’s specialized water treatment system. “Anything that’s going over the side is being UV treated and strained.”
Sounds kinda harsh on incidental by-catch....
Anyway, the vessel has only been operating here since April so not hard to track its progress and the results afterwards from that Mowi West link I posted in #809. No farms to date have reported zero lice on farmed fish after they took a ride through the Aqua Tromoy.

Change the net...... where is the problem??? 100%
one way street

No problems here understanding the basics

New net= no suspended eggs or louse.

Face it the boat ends the sea lice problem were farms are contributing to the problem. The only problem with lice now is wild sealice brought in by pink salmon every other year.

Well - lets be honest. The FF companies have been transitioning to well boats - not to protect wild salmon - but because Slice has become an ineffective feed treatment. Sea lice have become resistant to Slice - and the industry needs new options.

One of the hopes and potential saviors of the Slice-resistant lice situation for the fish farmers is that wild fish do bring a new population of (hopefully) Slice-naive lice into the areas that currently contain farming operations and farmed fish - generally from early summer through to early fall. Generally, smolts outmigrate through those same areas from early winter to early summer.

It is thought that this is an evolutionary adaptation in timing to keep lice and other disease vectors separate between juvies and adults - at least long enough so that the juvies can get big enough to withstand some lice - a process that FFs can interrupt and nullify this window wrt lice loading in those early marine nearshore areas on the very young and small smolts.

This effect and reality has been noticed and acknowledged for years in jurisdictions world-wide:
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/pdf/10.1098/rspb.2009.0771
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2293942/
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2009.0317
https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1365-2664.2010.01889.x
http://skeenafisheries.ca/images/uploads/documents/Gottesfeld_et_al_2009_Transfer_of_sea_lice.pdf
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17939989
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0016851
https://thenarwhal.ca/war-on-the-wa...tle-with-sea-lice-as-wild-fish-pay-the-price/

The only ones who don't seem to want to admit this reality are the FF pundits. Ignorance may be a choice they are more comfortable with - but those whom care about the wild stocks and are involved in sea lice research and regulation do not have that luxury. Nor do the wild salmon, frankly.

The hope is - if the industry can alternate or switch to well boat treatments for a while (the time required not yet confirmed) - then if/when the FF fish get their lice load (and genetics) re-populated by wilder-origin lice - then maybe they can start switching between well treatments and Slice (again). maybe they will then become more successful in keeping lice outbreaks in check.

It remains yet to be seen how this will go. Certainly well boat numbers and capacity are an issue - which is why MOWI invested in the new boats - as Cuttle posted.

In any event - all of this proves that the open net is indeed "OPEN" wrt water flow and things that are carried in the water column - including sea lice and disease vectors - both in and out of the net cages. No surprise there.

Last edited:
Infectious agent detections in archived Sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka ) samples from British Columbia, Canada (1985-94)

Articlein Journal of Fish Diseases 2019(1):1-15 · February 2019with 102 Reads 

In response to concerns that novel infectious agents were introduced through the movement of eggs as Atlantic salmon aquaculture developed in British Columbia (BC), Canada, we estimated the prevalence of infectious agents in archived return‐migrating Sockeye salmon, from before and during aquaculture expansion in BC (1985–94). Of 45 infectious agents assessed through molecular assays in 652 samples, 23 (7 bacterial, 2 viral and 14 parasitic) were detected in liver tissue from six regions in BC. Prevalence ranged from 0.005 to 0.83 and varied significantly by region and year. Agent diversity ranged from 0 to 12 per fish (median 4), with the lowest diversity observed in fish from the Trans‐Boundary and Central Coast regions. Agents known to be endemic in Sockeye salmon in BC, including Flavobacterium psychrophilum, Infectious haematopoietic necrosis virus, Ceratonova shasta and Parvicapsula minibicornis, were commonly observed. Others, such as Kudoa thyrsites and Piscirikettsia salmonis, were also detected. Surprisingly, infectious agents described only recently in BC salmon, Ca. Branchiomonas cysticola, Parvicapsula pseudobranchicola and Paranucleospora theridion, were also detected, indicating their potential presence prior to the expansion of the aquaculture industry. In general, our data suggest that agent distributions may not have substantially changed because of the salmon aquaculture industry.

Ever since the current Liberal Federal govt. made a hard commitment to force open pen Atlantic salmon fish farms out of our west coast waters by 2025, I have noticed that the industry has added several new players and much more time and effort on this site to augment the assortment of pro industry PR players that have been here for some time. It is clear to me the industry is running scared and trying to up its game, having lost its social license with a great many British Colombians and its Federal Government support.
I have also noticed that the pro industry guys have become more aggressive with their tactics and are now triple and quadruple teaming you Agentaque.
I just want to thank you for you tireless efforts to keep them somewhat honest and not allowing them to turn this forum completely into another pro Industry Propaganda site. I also want to say how impressed I am with your matter of fact, polite, non-defensive non-confrontational , factual, quality responses. You are a far better man than I am. Thanks again, Agentaque, you should know that your tireless effort to provide a counter balance and clear understanding of the issues is appreciated.

Back