Aquaculture; improving????

How many here have tried the Kuterra product? I have and found it was good, similar to open net pen salmon, just more expensive.

How many here have tried the Kuterra product? I have and found it was good, similar to open net pen salmon, just more expensive.

I had it at a sushi restaurant while I was on the island. It’s decent

Wonder what these taste like. Don.t think the would hold together for sushi but maybe a chowder slop.
Clayoquot-Action-CSI-3.jpg

So how many anti ff have tried it? Strange us pro guys have ... is this not the future? Or have you simply killed enough wild salmon so have no need of BC's entry into closed containment salmon?

Wonder what these taste like. Don.t think the would hold together for sushi but maybe a chowder slop.
Clayoquot-Action-CSI-3.jpg

Most of the salmon in sushi restaurants in Vancouver is farmed. Lots have a wild sockeye option but if you don’t specify your getting farmed.

I would eat it - if I was at a place that had it - even tho I am only an "anti-open net-pen" guy and not an "anti-aquaculture" guy.

I would eat it - if I was at a place that had it - even tho I am only an "anti-open net-pen" guy and not an "anti-aquaculture" guy.
Good for you. I have tried it and all sorts of other farmed fish as well (even the open net ones but shhh!). They taste fine - are clean of toxins (dont tell Dr. Susukistein...) and are a source of healthy sustainable protein.

Had a discussion with an executive at Trout's Unlimited today - he asked me what the hell is going on with the BC salmon industry. In fact, he wanted to know if he should invest in a fishing lodge. Tough times - I told him his investment is about as solid as investing in a Canadian pipeline. ****. Had to screw over an islander who needs help. This is where we are headed. All the "anti" industry folks need to understand that the consequences of propaganda might shut down every farm, but won't fix the salmon problem. FF's will move if we screw them over - to other parts of the world that need the jobs and industry. Where in the world would FF's be more regulated and scrutinized than in Canada? Where would there be more indigineous employment in fish farms than in Canada? Where can posters or people or the press rage against an industry that has had government support than in Canada? Do you honestly think Dubai - or China or the US give a flying f*** about what is happening here? Tired of the debate....

So how many anti ff have tried it? Strange us pro guys have ... is this not the future? Or have you simply killed enough wild salmon so have no need of BC's entry into closed containment salmon?
Most people have eaten it Dave and didnt know it. Salmon barbecues at fishing derby's and hatchery events. Usually at fund raising events the salmon is sponsored.

Most people have eaten it Dave and didnt know it. Salmon barbecues at fishing derby's and hatchery events. Usually at fund raising events the salmon is sponsored.

I have a funny story on this topic, I was at Telegraph Cove this summer. I stop into the Killer Whale cafe for dinner. I have a burger but they have a salmon BBQ going on and place is packed. As im walking out on the side they have a bunch of those white styrofoam fish boxes stacked and right on the label Atlantic salmon (Mowi).

I chuckled, I bet everyone their eating had no idea.

No where on any of the signs did they advertised it was atlantic salmon and the place was packed with fishermen and ENGO hippy power sailer types.

Pretty strong parallels and similarities in impacts, issues and opposition to the open net-pen industry on both coasts:

B.C. First Nations and salmon farming industry anxious for Liberals to get back to work

https://aptnnews.ca/2019/11/23/b-c-...try-anxious-for-liberals-to-get-back-to-work/

NEWS FLASH LIBERAL GOVERNMENT FAILED TO CONSULT FIRST NATIONS ABOUT REMOVING FISH FARMS

"
On Nov. 20, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appointed Nova Scotia MP Bernadette Jordan as his new fisheries minister replacing Vancouver MP Jonathan Wilkinson who was given the Environment and Climate Change portfolio.

The new parliament officially gets underway Dec. 5, with a speech from the throne and for people on the coast of British Columbia, it can’t come soon enough.

“There’s a lot at stake here and a lot of questions that need answered,” says Chief John Smith of Tlowitsis First Nation on East Vancouver Island.

During the federal election campaign, the Liberal’s promised to transition from open-net salmon farms to closed containment systems in B.C. by 2025.

The promise not only shocked the aquaculture industry, but also First Nations.

Smith says he immediately sent Trudeau a letter with his concerns, but hasn’t heard back."

“I was in Ottawa last year and thought we had a good understanding, but the government didn’t consult with us before their announcement,“ says Smith.

“I plan on going to Ottawa as soon as we can organize a meeting.”

The government is in no doubt a sticky situation and has once again failed to consult First Nations.

Ya it will, WMY - if. Having said thus - it would only be another fail on the red-faced test if they fail - which they have. Red-face, black-face - all colours of fail :)

Back