Aquaculture; improving????

Last edited:
BC Moves to Implement Fish Farm Monitoring Plan that Bob Chamberlin Helped Create
https://bobchamberlin.ndp.ca/news/b...-monitoring-plan-bob-chamberlin-helped-create

Good news I think?
The article doesn’t mention anything about the plan or how it looks, other than there is a plan and it’ll help the wild fish.

Any plan that leaves open net pen aquaculture in the water is a fail as far as I’m concerned. Unless it is CC in the ocean. But even with that I am skeptical. Just like the Processing Plant out flows were being treated and all bacteria and viruses were being killed by a UV light....didn’t happen, but they said it did.

Just got an email from Wild First with their new "pledge tracker". Below is a link and the pledge that has been presented to all MP's in BC.

---

I believe in protecting wild Pacific salmon.

I am aware of the risks posed to wild salmon in BC by open net pen salmon farming.

I support a transition away from open net pen farming in the coastal waters of British Columbia, with appropriate incentives to transition the industry to sustainable closed containment aquaculture by 2025.

https://www.wildfirst.ca/pledge-tra...il&utm_term=0_b943929f51-988b1ce27a-153787219

Good news I think?
The article doesn’t mention anything about the plan or how it looks, other than there is a plan and it’ll help the wild fish.

Any plan that leaves open net pen aquaculture in the water is a fail as far as I’m concerned. Unless it is CC in the ocean. But even with that I am skeptical. Just like the Processing Plant out flows were being treated and all bacteria and viruses were being killed by a UV light....didn’t happen, but they said it did.

I hear you and good for you to raise your voice because when we fight we win. Browns Bay processing plant is a good example of that. We kicked up a fuss and moved the needle.
https://www.mycomoxvalleynow.com/47...eral-funding-to-improve-wastewater-treatment/

A blow to company's public image

“attempts to clean up thousands of dead fish in the Coast of Bays-Fortune Bay area has reignited debate over the industry, which has been scrutinized for repeated infectious outbreaks, escapes, an outpouring of government money, and what some say is a threat to wild fish.”

“McCormick said there are hundreds of thousands of dead fish on the south coast.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/aquaculture-bickering-salmon-1.5296822

A blow to company's public image

“attempts to clean up thousands of dead fish in the Coast of Bays-Fortune Bay area has reignited debate over the industry, which has been scrutinized for repeated infectious outbreaks, escapes, an outpouring of government money, and what some say is a threat to wild fish.”

“McCormick said there are hundreds of thousands of dead fish on the south coast.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/aquaculture-bickering-salmon-1.5296822

I guess climate change can even kill farmed salmon. They were stupid at not being more forthcoming, but not a virus or sea lice. My guess is a bunch of wild salmon also died, they just weren't in nets. one thing for sure, shutting down fish farms won't lower the ocean temps.

AQUACULTURE REFORM COALITION QUESTIONS WARM TEMPERATURES AS CAUSE FOR MASSIVE SALMON KILL ON NL SOUTH COAST:

The Newfoundland and Labrador Coalition for Aquaculture Reform (NL-CAR) suspects that the death of large numbers of salmon in the open net pen aquaculture farms on our South Coast was caused by factors other than warm sea water temperatures. NL has if anything experienced a cooler spring and summer than average and no proof has been provided that ocean temperatures along our south coast have been higher than normal. Also, we have not heard of similar events in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, which usually experience higher temperatures than NL. What are the provincial and federal regulators saying as to the cause? What are the provincial veterinarians saying?
NL-CAR notes that there has been no independent verification of warm sea water as the cause of this massive die-off. As usual, there is only a deathly silence from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) and the provincial government. There is no indication of how extensive this kill was, nor has any video coverage been released. However, the fact that the story has been reported at all shows that it was of massive proportions.
NL-CAR believes that there may be much more to this story than the aquaculture company is revealing. It’s likely that the cause of this environmental disaster was the usual suspects of sea lice or disease such as Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA), but of course it’s much better to have the public believe that it was caused by a natural condition like warm water temperatures. The only thing more appalling than the horrific death of these salmon is the silence that accompanies such disasters.
Recall that when the salmon net pens broke apart in Washington State in August, 2017 resulting in the escape 160,000 farm salmon, a spokesperson for Cooke Aquaculture initially blamed it on the solar eclipse that occurred around the same time and indicated that only a few thousand salmon escaped. Sea temperatures warm enough to cause this catastrophe in NL are just as likely as a convenient solar eclipse. Washington State reacted by closing down the full aquaculture industry in its jurisdiction. We are not likely to see a similar response here.
Thanks to the NFAW for drawing attention to some of what is occurring in the salmon aquaculture industry on our South Coast. The negative effects of such events on other species and those who depend on these species for their livelihood may finally goad government into taking responsibility for this industry.
There is a fundamental problem with the regulation of the finfish aquaculture industry in NL and that is the total lack of public oversight. Who outside the industry itself and government has access to the untold horrors that these salmon suffer before perishing in their cages?
(For questions or further comment contact Leo White, NL-CAR spokesperson at 709 753-4034 or leopwhite@hotmail.com)

AQUACULTURE REFORM COALITION QUESTIONS WARM TEMPERATURES AS CAUSE FOR MASSIVE SALMON KILL ON NL SOUTH COAST:

The Newfoundland and Labrador Coalition for Aquaculture Reform (NL-CAR) suspects that the death of large numbers of salmon in the open net pen aquaculture farms on our South Coast was caused by factors other than warm sea water temperatures. NL has if anything experienced a cooler spring and summer than average and no proof has been provided that ocean temperatures along our south coast have been higher than normal. Also, we have not heard of similar events in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, which usually experience higher temperatures than NL. What are the provincial and federal regulators saying as to the cause? What are the provincial veterinarians saying?
NL-CAR notes that there has been no independent verification of warm sea water as the cause of this massive die-off. As usual, there is only a deathly silence from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) and the provincial government. There is no indication of how extensive this kill was, nor has any video coverage been released. However, the fact that the story has been reported at all shows that it was of massive proportions.
NL-CAR believes that there may be much more to this story than the aquaculture company is revealing. It’s likely that the cause of this environmental disaster was the usual suspects of sea lice or disease such as Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA), but of course it’s much better to have the public believe that it was caused by a natural condition like warm water temperatures. The only thing more appalling than the horrific death of these salmon is the silence that accompanies such disasters.
Recall that when the salmon net pens broke apart in Washington State in August, 2017 resulting in the escape 160,000 farm salmon, a spokesperson for Cooke Aquaculture initially blamed it on the solar eclipse that occurred around the same time and indicated that only a few thousand salmon escaped. Sea temperatures warm enough to cause this catastrophe in NL are just as likely as a convenient solar eclipse. Washington State reacted by closing down the full aquaculture industry in its jurisdiction. We are not likely to see a similar response here.
Thanks to the NFAW for drawing attention to some of what is occurring in the salmon aquaculture industry on our South Coast. The negative effects of such events on other species and those who depend on these species for their livelihood may finally goad government into taking responsibility for this industry.
There is a fundamental problem with the regulation of the finfish aquaculture industry in NL and that is the total lack of public oversight. Who outside the industry itself and government has access to the untold horrors that these salmon suffer before perishing in their cages?
(For questions or further comment contact Leo White, NL-CAR spokesperson at 709 753-4034 or leopwhite@hotmail.com)

Same old story…Fish Farms always point the finger elsewhere. When will we wake up and acknowledge the disaster Fish Farms pose for our wild salmon?
Are Fish Farms improving...I think NOT!!!!
“We have not heard of similar events in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, which usually experience higher temperatures than NL”
“Recall that when the salmon net pens broke apart in Washington State in August, 2017 resulting in the escape 160,000 farm salmon, a spokesperson for Cooke Aquaculture initially blamed it on the solar eclipse that occurred around the same time”
“There is a fundamental problem with the regulation of the finfish aquaculture industry in NL and that is the total lack of public oversight.”

Not surprising the Liberals are in a real battle with greens in BC. Was listening to the Radio and the Greens are doing very well in BC with about 20% of the vote. Greens are at historic highs in the polls.

Not surprising the Liberals are in a real battle with greens in BC. Was listening to the Radio and the Greens are doing very well in BC with about 20% of the vote. Greens are at historic highs in the polls.

The Greens are doing well as a good chunk of the population have the environment/climate change as a central issue. The two major parties basically have ****** or almost no plans. This is probably good to for the Conservatives as it is probably Liberal/NDP votes being split off.

The Greens are doing well as a good chunk of the population have the environment/climate change as a central issue. The two major parties basically have ****** or almost no plans. This is probably good to for the Conservatives as it is probably Liberal/NDP votes being split off.

True the ABC campaign in 2011 failed whereas the strategic voting Liberal campaign in 2015 was a success.

Canadian PM Justin Trudeau's liberal party vows to close netpen salmon farms by 2025, move to land-based
https://www.intrafish.com/aquacultu...etpen-salmon-farms-by-2025-move-to-land-based

This is a good step forward, I'm glad that its becoming an election issue. However, the timeline dissatisfies me. I don't think we should be waiting another 5 years and then cross our fingers that the situation isn't worse than what it is now. I really would like to see a no more fish into the pens policy, grow the fish in the pens out then that's it. we could be rid of most of this destructive industry as we know it in 18 months.

Even if the Liberals get elected I think there is a good chance that fish farms will be in the water for more than 5 years especially in areas where everyone in the community wants them.

I don't know, not many communities want them. And the communities that do, only employ a small handful. The eco tourism that would be supported far outweighs having a farm.

They have kicked the can down the road for a reason.

Good chance will also see a couple of elections on that time.

Back