AP Tackleworks Suggestions

Ceilidh69

Starting the tackle resupply and upgrades early this year - anyone have any suggestions for colours and sizes for the AP Tackleworks sand lance and anchovy spoons? Mostly fish West Coast VCI.

Thanks

The 4" herring and 4" sand lance worked best for me in Lemon Lime or similar colors. 60" leader. The herring outfished bait for me - but that could be because of my roll.

Agree, the 4" have been my top producers.

Depends where you fish. The 4" needlefish work best for me in the Sidney area. Up in the Haida Gwaii I had more success with the anchovy and herring imitations (both 4" and 5" versions)

MVP and lemon/lime seem to be popular choices for color combos.

Brought a whack of them to the lodge, and all the other guides loved them. Many days they would outfish bait, however a few guys had issues with hooks breaking after pinching the barbs. The hooks on my older AP spoons seem a little beefier and higher quality, so idk if a change was made due to costs or if Im just imagining things, but I would suggest you swap out the hooks if youre targeting fish bigger than 15 or 20 lbs

however a few guys had issues with hooks breaking after pinching the barbs. The hooks on my older AP spoons seem a little beefier and higher quality, so idk if a change was made due to costs or if Im just imagining things, but I would suggest you swap out the hooks if youre targeting fish bigger than 15 or 20 lbs

@advTHXance the hooks have always been the same. I've stuck with Mustad 9510 SS but had a batch of 5/0 last spring that was more brittle than normal and it would have been when your HG spoons were heading out. I'm open minded to changing for the larger spoons; the metal guage for 9510 in 4/0 and under is less brittle.

Didnt mean to sound as if I was unhappy with them, Andrew. The day after I brought them back, we had 2 tyees hit our dock after what seemed like weeks without any! I personally only had 1 hook snap up there, and some days we were catching dozens of fish on a single lure. Best lure currently in production imo! :)

I had never had any problems with the hooks previously, so a bad batch makes perfect sense. I used the same sandlance one summer in Renfrew until the hookpoint was about 1/2" shorter from constant re-sharpening.

Didnt mean to sound as if I was unhappy with them, Andrew. The day after I brought them back, we had 2 tyees hit our dock after what seemed like weeks without any! I personally only had 1 hook snap up there, and some days we were catching dozens of fish on a single lure. Best lure currently in production imo! :)

I had never had any problems with the hooks previously, so a bad batch makes perfect sense. I used the same sandlance one summer in Renfrew until the hookpoint was about 1/2" shorter from constant re-sharpening.

No worries....I like the feedback. AND hate hooks snapping! The latest bacth of mustad are much better, but still open to suggestions.

Well i always say match the hatch!!!!last year we had little tiny herring like 3 to 4 icnh some even smaller I used the bluewolf mini 3 inch model and almost got a fish everyday on it, I love the spoons I run short though 3 to 4 ft leaders as i want it to dance. i find that works best for me..Thanks Andrew ....BTW hows mexico!!!!ill be there in 17 days not that im counting.....

Back