Anyone using a big Alvey reel for Halibut?

MadJigga

My buddy just gave me his spare, I think its like 9" Alvey reel for halibut! I've been using level winds for years but I love the retrieval rate on this monster! I'm considering loading it with braid. Anyone used braid on one of these? He has 100# mono on his.

Get some tape for your index fingers all the horse tack places carry Flexwrap

swatches%5C21980_S_100_vvs.jpg

I'm thinking the horse tape is to prevent cuts on whichever fingers you use on your rod hand to guide your new braid onto the spool of the Alvey as you crank up the big one.

I've been using them for a couple of years now,the 725 model,because I hated the wobble of the lever drag reels.These reels have one way drags and are not knuckle busters as they have the handles coupled to the drag system (they don't turn when fish runs).I've caught lots of halibut with these attached to the old Peetz one piece roller rods that I converted to ceramic eyes.I use 80 lb. power pro line and there's no need to guide line onto spool as it's a relatively narrow spool that holds plenty of line.They were around $200 shipped from Australia,I'll never go back to a top mounted reel for halibut.

Back