Anyone Ever Rock a 6 Foot Tender?

Rain City

Crew Member
Does anyone have any experience with one this small? Would me, my wife and kid (2 YO) fit if I was running a motor on it? Obviously it's a 1 seater if I'm paddling. It says it has a capacity of 250kg. We really only use them to get to shore when we're cruising and for setting stern ties. We wouldn't be fishing off it or doing much exploring. The 2.5 really doesn't go all that fast and the bays seem to get a lot bigger when you're going that slow.
Resized_20201029_154148.jpg

I ran a 2.5 on a bigger inflatable, 8' or so, I thought it was waaaaay better than rowing.
Then I got silly and put twin 2.5's on it. It was a blast, planing and everything. Not sure how it all came together, couple flats of extra old stock were involved...

I ran a 2.5 on a bigger inflatable, 8' or so, I thought it was waaaaay better than rowing.
Then I got silly and put twin 2.5's on it. It was a blast, planing and everything. Not sure how it all came together, couple flats of extra old stock were involved...
I have an 8 and a 7 that I'm currently selling. You're right the 2.5 on the 8 is still a hell of a lot better than rowing.

Yeah that is the best thing I can say about it.
I really did not like refuelling the internal tank while exploring, but at that stage of life, you run what you brung!

I'd say its useable but won't be very comfortable. If you are only going to use it a few times a year it should be fine, otherwise you will probably want something a bit bigger. We have a 6' Zodiac we use as a tender and it just fits the two of us and our 20lb dog. We only use it a couple times a year for going to shore and it works for us, but I can't see it very comfortable if you replaced the dog with a kid. We added a Minn Kota saltwater trolling motor this year and it was a great upgrade from rowing - especially in those anchorages where you can't get the closest spot to shore!

I'd say its useable but won't be very comfortable. If you are only going to use it a few times a year it should be fine, otherwise you will probably want something a bit bigger. We have a 6' Zodiac we use as a tender and it just fits the two of us and our 20lb dog. We only use it a couple times a year for going to shore and it works for us, but I can't see it very comfortable if you replaced the dog with a kid. We added a Minn Kota saltwater trolling motor this year and it was a great upgrade from rowing - especially in those anchorages where you can't get the closest spot to shore!
That's exactly what the tender is for us. A means to get to shore for the few weeks a year that we actually go cruising. I do want to to install a kind of budget davit system so the reason for the shorter boat is so it goes beside the kicker but still leaves room to access the rear door. When we bought the boat the guy had a 10 foot and it was like a having a parachute hitting the brakes while underway.

Sounds like it will work fine then. For us the 6-footer is perfect since I don't want the extra weight and hassle of trying to store a bigger version on our boat. I usually roll it back up between uses, or if its only a day or two I'll flip it upside down and lash it to the bow.

2.5 hp will be great. Ours came with one when I bought it used, but we don't have a convenient place to store onboard without the risk of fuel spilling, hence the Minn Kota. The battery adds a bit of weight, but its quick to set up and maintenance free.

Following this. A 6 ft sounds good enough that one camping trip a year up to Princess Louisa or Sechelt Inlet, and I have a Minnkota with its own battery. One more thing to keep an eye out for this winter.

Back