Anybody know Yamaha 6m8 controls part numbers?

Clint r

Looking to order up a set of remote controls for my 2000 yamaha 6m8 kicker motor. Looking on the Internet to see a bunch of different models. None specific to my engine. Can anybody tell what model controls I should be looking for? 703? 705? Seems to fit larger models. I don't want to look like a real toque when I walk into the dealer so any help is appreciated.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yamaha made electric start and remote control kits for all 6 and 8 HP 2-strokes from 1984 to 1993. After that, they do not appear to offer any electric start and remote control kits for these motors, which is a real shame.

If you check out Boats.net and Yamaha Outboards for your particular 1999 (6MLHX) Motor, you will not find kits offered. If you check out any 6/8 motor from 1984 to 1993, you will find electric start and remote control kits - and the part numbers - listed in the components sections.

When you click on the part numbers in the components list, scroll down and it will show you which motors the specific part number can be used on - a very helpful feature of this web site.

Unfortunately, I do not know if these older kits can be fitted to your particular motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. It looks as if there's a place to attach linkage for the shifter on this motor. Will have to take it to the marina and have hem see if it's possible to do a retrofit.

Just looking over this thread, it appears I did not answer your original query, which was in regards to which controller to use. According to my 1987 Yamaha Rigging Manual, you would need a 703 "Pull to Open" remote control for 6/8 1984 to 1993 models. Hope you are successful at getting the upgrade kits you want...these are great motors!

Back