Any use for broken rods...

Matsutake

broke a few and have either the top half or bottom half left perfectly fine. Hate to throw out good materials, like good cork handles etc. Anyone have suggestions? What would you do with em?

Thanks!

I have couple's of broken rods. Other parts are good. Tell me what is brand name the rod if I can find match yoru rod.

Somebody out in Surrey you might want to talk to

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/spo/6167038720.html

00S0S_j8pC4gYjpa1_1200x900.jpg

You can reuse the guides and even the reel seat if you can't match up with another half.

Some make a Halibut handling tool out of a section of old rod. A 15 inch or so section of rod has a rope glued into an open end. The rod section is then fed under the gill plate and out the mouth of the Halibut where it is then looped back to the tail loop and tied off so that a large powerful Halibut can be bent head to tail and lifted over the side by several people with the help of the rope.

Big Halibut are very strong and if the are still kicking and not hog tied when brought on board they can do some damage. Not the issue it once was before the imposition of Halibut slot limits.

Some also put a thin cable through the gill plate and out the mouth and tow the Halibut beside the boat to keep them fresh and blood out of the boat if you use a bleeding cut back of the tail, so the tool would also work for that.

I have two broken rod butt sections that I have re-tasked as:
1 - the designated descending tool with line counter reel and my descending device (short enough that I can do it myself if needed)
2 - a long reach tool (2" chrome gaff hook at the business end) to grab line when out of reach or knock kelp off D/R ball (a lot safer than leaning over the gunwale)

If you have a good bottom piece ,wrap tape around the end and screw into your broken broom .the power you get from the rod handle has the bristles of the broom do a better job.Best broom I have ,and flicks dirt either way ,simular how curlers sweep.

CXI's suggestion #2 really works, mine gets used every time I'm fishing. I'll post a picture when I get down to the boat. Also makes a great gift for a fishing buddy ~ that's how I got mine :)

I tied a dummy flasher to one of mine so I can test my troll speed on the fly to ensure the flasher is rotating correctly without having to pull my gear. I keep it in one of the rod holders for quick access. With all the structure and current breaks around the islands it's important to reassess your speed frequently.

I tied a dummy flasher to one of mine so I can test my troll speed on the fly to ensure the flasher is rotating correctly without having to pull my gear. I keep it in one of the rod holders for quick access. With all the structure and current breaks around the islands it's important to reassess your speed frequently.

Good one, thanks.

Plenty of rod breaks can be easily repaired with a 4" ferrule made out of another broken rod.. Find a close fit and epoxy the ferrule inside both ends. Wrap with thread, epoxy and put on a turner.

I like the flasher check idea but the current at depth might be nothing like current at the surface so not sure you get the right answer..

Back