Any reason NOT to use a bow mount ????

I have done a bit of searching on the internet and there is very little I can find on the topic so Ill ask for opinions around the site.

I have a 2025 Kingfisher Discovery that I use as a dual purpose salt/fresh water boat. I have been currently been removing my Minn kota bow mount when I head to the ocean but Im wondering why I should. The bow mount has its own 2 batteries so using it will not affect my main motor or battery management in any way. They say that these are not "rated" for salt water like the rip tide version so lets leave that out of the discussion as many people say there is no issues with salt, especially with my limited use.

As for fishing styles, last year we did a pile of drift jigging for ling-cod along rock faces and kelp beds, we had to keep the big motor going and kick it in/out of gear to stay on the line. I was thinking of using my bow mount I could basically follow the drop/edge, just like I do walleye fishing. I also has auto pilot and cruise control, this would defiantly give me more fishing time and less steering time. Plus the remote is huge.

Then that takes me to anchoring for halibut/rock fish. This bow mount has "spotlock" once activated it will hold me, on a GPS coordinate. I've used it in some pretty big winds and it does just fine. Do I think this will work in all instances, likely not as i don't want to be spinning in circles and getting lines tangled, but when winds and tides allow it I feel it will be slick. It will also allow you to easily adjust things like dept as you can just bump the boat ahead or sideways. I would always have the anchor in the nose and can easily go back to the traditional method.

Would I go buy one specifically for this, likely not, but I already own one and its set up. I also know there is options for wireless stuff for my kicker but Id rather just use what I have.

Yes I accept the fact that people will look at me funny but it will be no different than when I have my radar and arch on the boat fishing lakes. (Radar and arch is being installed as we speak, and it can be removed)

Basically Im looking for a safety/fishing reason why I shouldn't do it, or input from people that have used them.

Thoughts?????

(The boat looks full because were were headed out camping/fishing)

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Capture2PNG.jpg
    Capture2PNG.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 131
I used to have a 55# thrust Minn Kota that I used in the salt for 1-2 years....then it fell apart form corrosion. Maybe a perfect freshwater cleaning would help it last longer, but somehow I think it's unlikely and why they made the "rip tide" version.

I don't have one but my biggest concern depending on where you fish is that it would take a pounding laying in the front bracket if you were in anything even moderate. I can see it being useful for what you are thinking along the shore as long as there isn't much groundswell. I did meet a family from Montana a few summers ago in Renfrew. They had a similar size boat but a NorthRiver. They followed me out to Swift Sure and had plans on using a similar set up to yours and use it for Halibut fishing. In the end they gave up on it fairly quickly with the swell bobbing the bow in and out too much. They ending up getting their fish just drifting so it was a non issue.

Last edited:
As for the pounding part Im not worried, the short chop lake waves seem to hit harder than the more even spaced waves and swells in the ocean, plus given the size of the boat I stay on shore if it gets even close to bad. Bobbing may be an issue, but if its that bad we typically head for a bit more shelter and fish for ling. If it wont hold the anchor can always go out or its just a slower drift for halibut!

I used to have a 55# thrust Minn Kota that I used in the salt for 1-2 years....then it fell apart form corrosion. Maybe a perfect freshwater cleaning would help it last longer, but somehow I think it's unlikely and why they made the "rip tide" version.

Yeah and doing a fair bit of reading on that the only difference is a couple stainless bolts that can be replaced and some better connectors in the mother board. If water can get in it doesn't matter fresh or salt things will corrode but the general consensus is the terrova is pretty well built. I'm not sure what vintage your was but seems there are more guys using the fresh water ones in salt with no issues. I'm willing to shorten my expected life on that motor for better fishing and if it does **** the bed and I did use it ill buy the riptide (and probably should have anyway for the extra cost right away)

What did you use it for while on the ocean ? either of the two uses I mentioned?

I do appreciate the input

Seems common on the Great Lakes, big water salmon and walleye fishing.

The features to automatically follow contours and spot lock are awesome.

Depends on where you fish; JdF, Gulf Islands or Johnston Strait with their currents: not a chance. WCVI on a calm day, likely yes.

I'v had many a scrapy fish that I needed a long rod to reach around the bow or stearn as the fish darted at the boat and out the other side.With a bow mounted thruster the line may become hung up on the bow mount or engine.I like the idea of a bow mounted thruster for pulling crab/prawn traps,as it would keep the bow into the wind rather than the stern .

mainly used on lakes with less rolling and waves. transom mount is far more efficient on the ocean...

Seen someone with a bow mount in the Alberni Canal. Seemed to work OK.

Biggest worry is that your battery for the Bow Mount is not isolated from the "House" battery. If something goes wrong and you kill the main, you are in real trouble.

IN an emergency with loss of power on the main engine, no way you are going any distance on the Bow Mount electric.

A Gasser 9.9 will get you in slowly, but it will get you in.

Drewski

Seen someone with a bow mount in the Alberni Canal. Seemed to work OK.

Biggest worry is that your battery for the Bow Mount is not isolated from the "House" battery. If something goes wrong and you kill the main, you are in real trouble.

IN an emergency with loss of power on the main engine, no way you are going any distance on the Bow Mount electric.

A Gasser 9.9 will get you in slowly, but it will get you in.

Drewski

I completely agreee. In my case I have 4 batteries in the boat, 2 at the back on a switch for my main, kicker, and electronics. I only ever turn 1 on at a time for just that reason. Then I have 2 for the bow mount on there own, wired for 24volts. The 2 for the bow mount are not tied into the other system and have their own on board charger I plug in at night.

Brent, giver and let us know how it goes! I’ve been using the riptide 160 (mounted on main engine leg) and love it. It has some limitations when the waves are really big...but I generally don’t fish then...and when the current is really ripping...but that’s generally not when the fish are biting again, not a big deal. So overall it has been great. That said, this is the min power I’d want for our boat (20’ aluminum weighing close to 4000lb). Good luck.

I completely agreee. In my case I have 4 batteries in the boat, 2 at the back on a switch for my main, kicker, and electronics. I only ever turn 1 on at a time for just that reason. Then I have 2 for the bow mount on there own, wired for 24volts. The 2 for the bow mount are not tied into the other system and have their own on board charger I plug in at night.
Do you have a Blue Seas ACR on board? If not, highly recommended given your situation.

Well, being a walleye guy from Alberta I use my bow mount All the time off shore for bottom fishing. The spot lock works better that an anchor for sure. As far as corrosion goes I haven’t had any issues at all. I personally wouldn’t use it to troll, that’s what the kicker is for.

No the two batteries in the front are hooked to some brand of on board marine charger, I can’t remember the brand. There are no wires that even run back to the other 2 batteries.
Are the ones in the front connected to your main motor?

I have used this method extensively for jigging salmon etc. Once you determine the direction of the current you use the GPS lock button and adjust the speed to keep your line right below the boat. It is super slick. Mine was the Motorguide Xi5 with 105lbs of thrust. I found that even in ripping currents near Campbell River it would work but once you add in a decent wind it would fall behind. It is definitely the easiest way to stay on bait. To protect it from the banging of the chop I installed a ram mount which worked perfectly.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-400-202U

Some tips. Don’t kill your batteries. Once they are noticeably lagging stop for the day. I pushed it one day and fried my motherboard. I was able to replace it myself at a cost of $500 lol. Make sure to always fresh water rinse when you are done.

I met another fella with a bay boat that was also using it for jigging last summer with success.

Good luck!

WW

Same here, on my previous boat, a 17" Aluminum I had a 72lb (24 volt) bow mount. The two 12 volt batteries powered the electric motor without any connection to the 'house'.

Boat had three batteries overall, with a 3 bank onboard charger that was awesome. Made things so easy. Come home, plug in extension cord. Charges and maintains all three batteries. Very convenient.

Back