Any Problem Mounting New Style Scotty Plugs Facing Up?

Rain City

Crew Member
So I was going to switch to the old style plugs on my new riggers because as my friend pointed out the old ones stick out less. In my case the new style would actually prevent my door from opening up all the way. After opening the box up and drooling at the shiny new riggers for an hour I noticed that the new plugs come with a 90 degree bracket. This clearly would solve my problem but what Im wondering is has anyone had any issues with water getting in and causing corrosion? Or is that not the intended use at all? And lastly does anyone have any recommendations as to what might work better. I'm really second guessing cutting these nice new plugs off.

Not exactly sure how yours are mounted but it's generally not good practice to mount the exposed end of any electrical connection facing up....

Last edited:
Not exactly sure how yours are mounted but it's generally not good practice to mount the exposed end of any electrical connection fa
My old style plugs are side mounted which by design faces them down. Keeps the plug tucked in. I guess the easy answer is mount the new ones the same way with the plug coming up from the bottom. The new ones just arent aesthetically as pleasing with the underside (top side in this case) of the bracket, the big boot and a wire facing up.

if there is any chance of water getting in the recess, it needs to be sealed all around to prevent water from entering the inside. do not put a drainhole in the bottom, the rocking og the boat will move the water out.

Back