ANY HERRING SHOWING?

Saltwater Cowboy

Looking for herring in the Comox Valley area, anybody been out to find if they're here yet?

SW COWBOY

I do the Fishing, God does the Catching!

Heard today that they were testing at 12.5 last night.
Could be a commercial opening real soon if the number was correct.

boc

Anybody find any herring? Come on someone had to be out this wekend! Hey BOC what do you mean by teting at 12.5?

SW COWBOY

Fisheries does a test fishery on the herring.
12.5% is the Roe to total weight ratio.
I believe they are looking for 15% ratio to start harvest. It used to be 25% not too long ago and they found that the spawn was too far progressed at that rate and time.
So, in a back handed way, I was answering your question in that they are finding herring to test.
Try all the usual areas around Comox/Denman...they should be there in good numbers by now.

boc

I think there is an opening around parksville. If its not open already it shouldnt be long they are here!Im gonna load up on crab/prawn and salmon bait!

Hey Saltwater Cowboy: The commercial fleet where fishing yesterday out in front of the Union Bay area. I was out pulling my prawn traps finally, after three days of fog. One kindly commercial gentleman pulled up and suggested I remove my traps from the area. As that was my intention, I agreed and thanked him for the suggestion. Hope this helps.

A little off topic but 25% is never been a option. A 15% ratio is huge and any buyer would be happy. I have never ever seen 25%.

Earth first we will log the other planets later.

How's the fishing been around the Valley lately anyone been out since the herring season opened. This darn job keeps getting in the way of fishing! Oh well tomorrow I'm off to Norris Rocks etc for sure! Any info would be appreciated!

SW COWBOY

Back