Another "What Sounder Should I Get" Thread

Damien

I have a Dragonfly5 already but I'm taking ownership of a brand new 18' aluminum in a few weeks and considering an upgrade.

I fish salt, lakes and some sturgeon in the Fraser. Is side view a thing?

What would you do? Maybe consider a max budget under $1,000.

Run the Dragonfly and save money? Do the ubiquitous Lowrance with P66?

Something else? Fire away!

Last edited:
i'd say get another dragon fly 7-9 do they do a 9"?
reason being you all ready know the GUI menu's/pages/settings and the cables should be all interchangeable run the 7 on map and the 5 if your keeping it on sonar ....

GPS Central has good deals on some 2019 Garmin models. This 7’ unit comes with transducer, mobile app, Chirp and Canada lake maps and has good reviews:

https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/echoMAP-Plus-72sv-73sv-74sv-75sv-g3.html

I’m still using a Gen 1 HDS on my boat which gets the job done for me. With all the fishing restrictions, I’ve been having a hard time justifying the upgrade but this Garmin sale is now getting my attention. Also, sign of other brands going on sale soon b/c of this Covid depression.

All side view except Furuno use a very high frequency that limit the depth/range they work at (versus what depth the MFGR's say they work at.) They also don't offer any compensation for when the waves cause the transducer beam to bounce around changing beam angles (except Furuno). Furuno is about 10x your budget.

I believe your money would be best spent by adding a good CHIRP transducer to you existing unit, given your budget. I suggest a medium frequency CHIRP.

Look into garmin panoptics. Pretty cool stuff

I have a Dragonfly5 already but I'm taking ownership of a brand new 18' aluminum in a few weeks and considering an upgrade.

What would you do? Maybe consider a max budget under $1,000.

Run the Dragonfly and save money? Do the ubiquitous Lowrance with P66?

Something else? Fire away!

the 3 in 1 is the most modern available.
https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/type/sonar-transducers/activeimaging-3-in-1-transducer/
get that one.

Back