Another New Salmon Farming Virus Reported Today.

MILLERTIME

Another New Salmon Farming Virus Reported Today.

THE bad news.....ISA-2 is a variant of the infectious salmon anemia ISA-1 virus.
The good news......salmon industry sources explained that this strain is less virulent than ISA-1.
More bad news..............two weeks ago salmon industry sources confirmed the finding of a new virus HSMI in freshwater fish from 10 sea centres in the country.
More good news..........salmon industry experts also added that this outbreak shows that salmon industry early detection system works properly.

Boy do I ever feel better knowing they can find them as fast as they make them.....WTF

http://www.fis.com/fis/worldnews/wo...&special=&monthyear=&day=&id=47090&ndb=1&df=0

Well, how about that? The genotypes and HPRs of ISA isn't new!

quote...
"Infectious salmon anemia virus (ISAV) is a member of the genus Isavirus in the family Orthomyxoviridae. Hemorrhagic kidney syndrome is an old name for the disease in Atlantic salmon.

The two major lineages of ISAV are the European genotype (or genotype I) and the North American genotype (or genotype II). Various clades occur within these genotypes. A small, highly polymorphic region (HPR) of the viral hemagglutinin-esterase (a surface glycoprotein encoded by genomic segment 6) can be used to classify ISAV isolates into numbered groups. HPR0 and HPR00 consist of the viruses that can be detected in fish by reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) assays, but cannot be cultured in the currently used cell lines. These viruses seem to be nonpathogenic for Atlantic salmon and other salmonids. Viruses with deletions in the HPR (e.g., those viruses classified as HPR1, HPR2, HPR3, etc.) appear to be more virulent and can be isolated in cell culture. A number of HPR genotypes have been detected."

You know I just might be in a discussion with another concerning none other than the different lineages and how ISA can mutate - actually reading quite a bit on ISA and what I call SLV. Here is a thought for you, as I just happen to be in reading up on that. Right now I will say IMHO, ISA very well could have been introduced in BC during the mid to late 80s. Which happens to be the same time "FARMED" Chinook salmon started dying... wild salmon WERE NOT. When did "FISH FARMERS" start importing "ATLANTIC" salmon eggs? I can show you some imported from Europe in 1985, that is right on DFO's website!

I have read every article I can find, concerning anything having anything to do with that disease referred to as Salmon Leukemia, also Plasmacytoid Leudemia, also Marine Anemia, also SLV, or anything else you want to call it. See above, I might even call it "Hemorrhagic kidney syndrome." In fact, anyone can call it whatever they want, as the study of the disease has NEVER been completed by anyone!

Now that was a "new" disease discovered killing BC "FARMED" Chinook salmon since mid 1980's. Guess what, the only thing and every thing I could find so far, has been either written, or refers to what was written by DFO scientists!. Three in particular... Without "those" (working for DFO), that disease really hasn't been recearched or confirmed by anyone. Another thought for you... DFO dropped their research on that disease. How do I know this... The Cohen Commission, concerning what killed the 2009 Sockeye! Wonder why DFO doesn't want any more funding going into Dr. K. Miller's research???? Would she find what DFO has been calling "SLV" and have been telling everyone all these year is a Pacifc disease, really "ISA" (imported from Europe)? Another thought... is that really a mutated form of ISA? Just one more last thought, if Fraser University had had given those Rivers Inlet Sockeye to DFO, rather than OIE would DFO had found and told every they were infected with the European strain of ISA, or the Pacific SLV, which NO studies have ever been completed? I know which way I'd bet on that one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on you for researching this stuff Charlie. Thanks for this info. We are going to have to get to the bottom of this to help solve it and once again it will be concerned citizens like yourself that will help get the job done.

Last edited by a moderator:
x2. Appreciate all the information and relevant facts Charlie (and others of course) as it's often tough sort through all the sh*t we get shoved down our throats on a day to day basis by the media. It really is shocking to think that despite the currently public information related to ISAv that our gov't haven't started to take things more seriously... then again, it really isn't as this sort of stuff goes on across all industries these days. If anyone has any hard facts on the salmon farming lobbyists I'd be interested in learning more about how many there are, who's paying them, how much, and who in our fed and prov gov't they need to corrupt/convince. So many industries has grown so big and become so consolidated (oil & gas, defense (US), auto, etc) that it really only takes a small percentage of total industry funds to pay for lobbyists who do a great job of helping our elected officials decide on key policy matters that affect our day to day lives. I'll snoop around online to see what I can pull up but if anyone has info please share. thx

Back