Another new old boat.

Clint r

Picked this one up this morning. 18' Campion. A little rough around the edges but I've been after one for a long time. Checked out a fiberform hardtop a while back. Had new stringers and transom and a pod. Til I got there. Then it was obvious that it was a hack job. Transom and stringers checked out solid on this one. Hulls awesome. No soft spots in the floor. Couple scratches and one ding but I've started with worse. Ill start stripping it down tomorrow.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I should have posted this under members boats. I'll post pics of my progress when I get a chance to work on it. It's a definite project. Pretty rough in spots but solid where it counts. When the time comes, I'll sell the K&C for the money to buy a new/used motor. That's a ways away though. Did some measuring this afternoon and the Campion is 2' longer and almost 2' wider than the K&C. The room inside is significantly more and where the K&C has stern seats on each side of the engine, the Campion is a straight shot to the back. You can walk right to the back of the boat and stand beside the motor. Roofs a little lower than I'm used to but I can live with it for the closed cabin. Lots to do but I'm busy in the shop so I'll get to it eventually. Will post pics as I can.

Love it! First Jeffy gets a new project and now Clint. I love watching these develop as i have done my fair share of boat projects and a couple of restorations. Will be looking forward to your pics and progress Clint.

A buddy of mine just completed a restore on the same 18' campion. I'll see if he has any pics of his work.

One of my favorite big little boats ... The color,,,,,, they had some interesting colors back a few years.....

Yeah. The color.... Think classic white and black is the way to go with this one. FinAddict, I PMed you my email address, please pass it on to your friend. I'd like to see the pics of his project. Might make me aware of something I should be looking for.

Great looking haul Clint, can't wait to see the progress as it comes along. Do you have more pictures of the inside as well.

Oly

Here's a string of pics. Don't laugh it's not as bad as it looks. Poking and prodding for the last hour. Everything seems solid. Pulled the through hull fitting from the bilge and poked around and the transoms very solid. Get no flex torquing the motor up and down either. One soft spot in the floor though. Under the one corner of the sleeper seat. I'll know more once the carpets pulled up but it measures about 2" by 4" right now. I'll be putting bucket swivel seats in so am too concerned. I hope to put an In floor fish box in the spot that's soft. Hopefully. We'll see. Just want to get it stripped and pressure washed so I can send it to my buddies shop. He's a pro fibreglasser and painter and will get me to the point where I'll be able to start building. The worst thing is the roof was left off and the wood needs replacing. That and the interior vinyl covered panels need the wood replaced. And they cut a hole in the dash for a cassette deck. Whatever, it is what it is.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yeah. The color.... Think classic white and black is the way to go with this one. FinAddict, I PMed you my email address, please pass it on to your friend. I'd like to see the pics of his project. Might make me aware of something I should be looking for.
Forwarded on your e-mail addresses Clint, He says he has a few with the floor out and all the work he did to stringers and will send you all he has. BTW - Bitchin' cassette deck - even has stereo!

Haha that's the first thing I took out. I've had a few old cars in my time too. Never ceases to amaze me that people will cut a hole in a dash board. I've never understood that. And yep. I picked up at Dockside Marine in Kelowna . Good people there. Busy as all get out at this time of year. Last thing to do is pull the motor and controls then the steering cable. Then the outside stuff. Bow rail, antenna and windshield ect.

Haha that's the first thing I took out. I've had a few old cars in my time too. Never ceases to amaze me that people will cut a hole in a dash board. I've never understood that. And yep. I picked up at Dockside Marine in Kelowna . Good people there. Busy as all get out at this time of year. Last thing to do is pull the motor and controls then the steering cable. Then the outside stuff. Bow rail, antenna and windshield ect. Thanks for passing me email on

great project man, was looking at a similar campion on Galiano island for 5k.. looking forward to seeing the progress...

Finally managed to decipher the transport Canada tag. Says the Model is a 17.5' Alert HT. Biggest 17.5 boat Boat Ive been in. Did some measuring and its a little over 17.5' in a straight line bow to stern. I thought boats were measured bow to stern along the keel?

There is probably more than one way to measure the length of a boat. But most take a measurement from the transom to the point of the bow. Some even say to take a plumb bob from the back of the transom and a plumb bob to the front of the bow, then measure in between the two points. That's getting a little too precise for me though.

On another note, what is the beam of your boat Clint and do you know the year of build.

Built in 1976. And she measures seven feet wide. The more I strip the more little suprises I'm finding. My fiberglass guy says no problem so I have to believe him. Hes done it for 40 years so I bet he's seen everything. I try not to work weekends but every time I go outside, I try and take something off. Would be nice to get it over to my buddies in the next week or so.

I think boat length depends on whether you're bragging to your buddies how big your's is or whether you're at the ferry fare ticket booth trying to buy a ticket.

Finally managed to decipher the transport Canada tag. Says the Model is a 17.5' Alert HT. Biggest 17.5 boat Boat Ive been in. Did some measuring and its a little over 17.5' in a straight line bow to stern. I thought boats were measured bow to stern along the keel?
Boats are usually listed with several different stats on length. LWL is length along the water line, LOA is length Over All .This is the usual listing from a builder for boat length and this measurement is from furthest extremity of stern (not including Outboard motor) to tip of bow (usually including bowsprit, but not including rail).

Back