Another Hourston Build

Hannes

As a result of my enjoyment of ExFlyGuy's 26 Hourston build, I've decided to share the build I'm doing with my dad on a 23.5 Hourston. Unlike the 26, I managed to find a hull that had been recently rebuilt and the glass work looked reasonably good. Everything was solid at least. The boat had a rebuilt 350 and old 280 leg, but my days of fooling around with new coils, plugs, starters, distributor caps, points condenser rigs etc. are behind me. I've never done glass work and I have limited time, so this was the canvas I wanted to start with. First couple steps are documented here. This thread is certainly less DIY than ExFlyGuys' but the transformation will hopefully be as rewarding. I have spent way too much time researching each of these steps so maybe the information will be valuable. What's remaining includes the following:

1. Rewire the boat - it's freshly wired, but the wire isn't tinned, the connectors aren't shrink-wrapped, and I'd like to do things a bit differently and add an inverter and an A/C circuit.
2. New sounder, transducer: Lowrance Live.
3. New power (300 Etec G2)
4. New paint
5. New interior
6. Add Lewmar sliding roof hatches.
7. Add Garmin TR-1 Autopilot
8. Add Cannon or Scotty downriggers
9. Add fancy helm seats.
10. Add rocket launchers.
11. Cosmetic glass work.
12. Reseal windows.
13. Add LED spotlight.
14. Add Espar D2 heater install.

So far that's it, but I always think of something else. Enjoy!

Pod's on, leaving Sooke for Hinton, AB.
%5Bb085a0ee860291cd86e450272c3d7176%5D_IMG_0050.jpg

It's amazing how much less **** you need when the inboard is gone.
IMG_0055.jpg

There's been some work done in the interior, but there are a lot of things I'd like to change.
IMG_0059.jpg

Those hourstons have great lines. Will be a great boat, looking forward to seeing the progress.

Where did the boat come from???

Oly

We got ourselves an early front runner for best thread of 2019!

Take Lots of pictures please

Looking forward to this one.

Thx for taking us along.

looks dam sexy just sittin there in the parking lot........
congrats and yes keep the pics coming !!

Those hourstons have great lines. Will be a great boat, looking forward to seeing the progress.

Where did the boat come from???

Oly
The boat came from a fella in Port Alberni that had passed. His wife sold me the boat.

Just my opinion on the interior of those Hurston but I'm not a big fan of the way they are set up. They look too 70's even the new ones. If it were me I would gut that cabin and go with 2 swivel seats up front and a bench seat seat down each side with the porta potty under one of the benches. Something like some of the new Harbercrafts and other new aluminum boat set ups, again just my opinion.

Just my opinion on the interior of those Hurston but I'm not a big fan of the way they are set up. They look too 70's even the new ones. If it were me I would gut that cabin and go with 2 swivel seats up front and a bench seat seat down each side with the porta potty under one of the benches. Something like some of the new Harbercrafts and other new aluminum boat set ups, again just my opinion.

I'm with you as far as the swivel helm seats and I've been contemplating the bench, but may stick to the forward facing bench seat in the back. These two beauties will be right up front though:
IMG_7709.jpg

I'm with you as far as the swivel helm seats and I've been contemplating the bench, but may stick to the forward facing bench seat in the back. These two beauties will be right up front though:
IMG_7709.jpg
You won’t want to get up for a fish because they look too comfy!!

Back