Annual Herring Sale 2020 Richmond and Victoria

what size are these herring ? a mix ? or mostly small/med ?

Never bought before, usually buy store packs of large or extra large for halibut bait

That is a food herring seine set. As the lead line on the bottom is pursed and the rest of the net is brought in on the big drum, the fish are forced beside the boat where they can be pumped aboard. You are looking at a huge pile of sea lions gorging on the trapped herring. They swim over the corks. They seem to be well trained for this behaviour. I assume the pic is recent.

Yeah, no herring available at the Victoria location. I dropped by this a.m. They are taking your name and number and will hopefully have some for next weekend.

Did the steveston one get there fish, buddy ordered tickets and forgot to go as I couldn’t go
I got mine at steveston in the 12-1pm slot, pretty slick operation with no line up, it took about 5 minutes to drive thru show ticket etc. I was fairly disappointed in my herring this year though, about 1/3 of them had their bellies busted, more than a few were absolutely crushed, they did seem a bit softer than other years (maybe caught a day earlier? no idea) not very many with any scales to speak of this year but this is to be expected and easier to clean up for consumption. I normally eat about 2/3 of them and use the rest for bait. It's a great cause but maybe next year I'll just donate and go back to jigging my own.

Back