Ancoring and halibut fishing!!!!

wolf

Ok after talking to too many people I think it has come to educate people of what NOT</u> to do regarding anchoring.
This last weekend was the worst I have EVERseen out there for halibut fishing had many people phoned me complaing about other fisherman same as me with the same problem.
I know a lot of people lurk on here and yes I am a little upset so that why Im writing as I know people just dont understand.

When you see someone anchored up please just stay away what you think is far enough away it isnt if I can see the whites of your eyes your too close.

I was anchored in 220 ft on sunday I have 500 ft of main anchor line and 130 ft from my scotsman to my boat and another 65 ft of chain so I move ALOT with the current basically about 700 ft of radius.when I move from and ebb to a flood,wind etc.

If you want to be in the general area just give lots of room and dont anchor right behind a boat go off to the side.because if a boats anchor pops off and the current is running it could be a dangerous scenrio just use caution.

I have had people in the past get too close and got all my gear caught in there rope after I told them they were too close it was a mess and made life hell fishing shouldnt be a contact sport.

If your drift fishing please do not roar out stop 30 ft from behind a boat and start fishing go somewhere else believe it or not all the halibut in the ocen are NOT all underneath that said boat it is a huge ocen out there we can all fish without getting in each others way.

It is no different than you walking into your favorite steelhead honey hole and your just made your first cast and some guy walks right beside you and starts fishing 2 arms lenths away from you in the same spot, are you going to be pissed Ill bet the farm on that!!!!

Or you have walked into you hunting spot only to have a guy drive right past your truck and basically push you down the road behind you on a dead end road, if soemen gets to a spot first just move on and go somehwere else he has beat you there fair is fair next time it will be you.

Become a fisherman not a follower I personally like to find my own spots not copy as its a personal satisfaction knowing I did it all myself.

ITS A BIG OCEAN OUT THERE and we can all get along please just give room to everyone find a spot all to yourself and then you not competing for all the same fish when your all alone you may get into those 3 or 4 halibut days as now your chances are increased as your not competing with everyone else.

Thanks and good luck

Wolf

I hear you, i made the mistake of trying to set anchor 150yds
away from another boat on sunday. there was enough tide that by the time the rope was out and anchor hooked up, i was only 150'away.:(
Waved to the guy, and pulled it all up motored off and started again.

Amen Wolf! There is more to hali fishing then hounding top rods. Give it at LEAST 500 feet to the next boat, 1000 feet is better. Or, like on any morning out there, get out the binocs, and look for any reef that doesn't have boats on it, on a nice weekend like what we had where no one has been out because of tides, the hali's are nice and thick! Just put an anchor out, a hook down, and go fishing.

I had a couple of clowns wind up about 100 feet from my bow on Constance this weekend in a little 16' Tyee. Had the current started to swing, it could have been ugly. I left shortly after.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Yeah you guys nailed it. I left the Northwest side of Constance by 7:30 due to dozens of boats moving in. Whats the deal? Gotta be pack mantality. I know it's a good drop there but come on. There are so many other good spots. Moved off to the east and had five hookups before 9:30.

If you can beleive it, I have had a few boats in the past drive between my Scottsman and my boat when I was going back to retreive my slack line. What are people thinking?

Not last weekend, but 2 before, I had someone anchor in front of me. I was telling the people I was with that it was a bad move because he's way to close to us AND he's up stream, he's really just adding to our scent and we're going to catch any hali's following it. A few minutes later I see him setting the hook and I'm thinking F*** OFF! WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY BAIT?! nope - he got my anchor. they actually managed to pull it off bottom which surprised me. Anyways, he gave us a polite wave, eventually unhooked from us and was on his way. He seemed like a nice guy, just an accident. As frustrating as it is, I guess everyone has to go through a learning curve. I have only been at this anchoring thing for a couple years and am sure I have irritated other fishers before too.

Not everybody reads this forum, and new people will always be out there, so how do you convey proper safety and etiquette? Posters at the ramp and tackle stores?...

Thats Why I don't anchor:)

So far, I've found that if I'm in an area with other anglers, by just setting up level with boats (not upstream) and ensuring I don't get fouled with anyone's anchor I've had no problem both catching fish and not getting in anyone's way.

That being said, I don't agree that just because you've got an anchor set you should have a 500 or 1000 foot radius around you that you've somehow "claimed'. Maybe for others to drop an anchor in it makes sense, but for those of us who like to drift that seems a bit much.

Personally, I don't get what all the fuss is about anchoring. Fishing from a smaller (17ft) boat so far I've found it completely unnecessary. If its too windy or too much current (which you can figure out before you leave the dock), I just don't go. If a a spot is too crowded, I move on or go salmon fishing. I guess with the bigger boats its harder to control your drift, or are you guys all just lazy?[}:)]

Keep it calm and safe out there guys, most of us are just in it for the fun.

Gooey

wolf is wright your boat will flip over in less than a minute when the currant swings from slow to strong .Oakbay and the race have big currant in a hurry sometime, why put you and your family through that.Hally"s are supid they eat anything, anywere you just need to be close to the bottom.

I agree with Wolf for sure

I had a guy do the same on Sunday....If people dont watch out it may happen..someone will get hurt....if it isn't related to the anchoring it may be to the person in the boat with ANGER MANAGEMENT ISSUES..:(..I think Wolf and Tailspin know who I am talking about:)

Yes, anchoring can be really dangerous. Thats why I don't do it as I stated in my post.

I too agree with Wolf, all of you guys out there swinging on your picks do need to get your act together soon or someone is going to get hurt. Too bad the "need'to anchor in JDF has been pushed so hard by those doing it. It looks like you're running out of space. Yes, its a big ocean, but any most of you know, halibut can be consistently caught in about 1% of it. I guess you'll all just need to learn how to get along;).

For me, I'll just pick the right tides, drift on by and see you at the cleaning table[}:)]

Gooey.

I have twice now had guys troll over my anchor line! If those guys are on here! THanks for the Braided #200 Power pro, And the flashers and hootchies! Next time you should learn WTF a Scotsman is and How much space to leave between the boat that is anchored!

-Steve

quote:Too bad the "need'to anchor in JDF has been pushed so hard by those doing it.
Very good point, I'm sure this board is responsible for more then a few new scotsman out there.

Well gooey you ask and ill answer for me anchoring is about success and I have done very well doing it not so go drifting so its the "way" I like to do it simple just like salmon fishing I prefer anchovies you may do it differently thats what you like to do same as for me.

The only reason I posted this was to educate people not to start a battle as I may be getting tired or whatever but its just starting to annoy me way to much and alot out there and alot of my friends on here so thought I would say something.

As you have seen I didnt go on a rant LOL

As for people drifting I dont mind them as long as they dont use my scent trail for there advantage thats all like I stated earlier I was there first so leave me alone.

I dont like to be bugged plain and simple Im working so just leave me alone I dont go to your work and move in on your workplace do I its the same thing.

LC yes I would like to see a pic of someone who came too close so post it would you!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

This is what happens when they get a bit to close to Striper Jack[:p]

LTTE_Sea_Tigers_attack_vessel_by_su.jpg

www.tailspincharters.com

What would you do??

Hooked on a pinnacle that could accomodate 3-4 boats tops about a week ago. Was the first on it about an hour before the tide change. As my boat started turning another boat showed up, motored around me twice looking for a spot to anchor I'm thinking and finnaly drops anchor a good distance away from me.
Now this fruit in a Seasport comes and drops his anchor upstream current right on top of mine.
Wind and current started picking up and wanted to go i had to run against current probably close to 30-40ft from his boat. That and 5-6ft swell (no kidding) made it for an interesting lift. Now if the anchor would have been stuck hard to the bottom, that could've been lotsa fun...NOT.
Now the question is: did they do it on purpose or just too friggen ignorant to their surroundings. :(:(:(

Yeah and just to make it more interesting couple of guys while i was anchored motor to the back of my boat 30 some ft and says "no worries we're just drifting" right on bud [xx(]

On a bright note I did catch a 4ft doggie, safely released.[}:)]

JUST FISHEN'

Ive never anchored to hali fish before.. How deep of water are you anchoring in and what kind of anchor would a guy use for a 27'boat? Id like to give it a try sometime, but it doesnt sound as easy as I would have thought.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

Ive never anchored to hali fish before.. How deep of water are you anchoring in and what kind of anchor would a guy use for a 27'boat? Id like to give it a try sometime, but it doesnt sound as easy as I would have thought.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

We usually anchor 140-280 feet around here. It's a riot, usually slower action then drifting the chicken banks, but quality fish. My 26 footers uses 30 feet of 5/16" chain, and a 15 pound Lewmar Claw anchor, set through a hoop attached to a large Scotsman bouy. I then have a piece of re-bar I tie to the rope so when I have let out the amount of rhode I want depending on my depth, it stops at the float, then give it 30 feet or so, and attach to a zip line running from around the middle of the boat to the front. Fish away during low currents, and when it comes time to pull, run upstream against the float, and it will pull the anchor right up to the float and have it waiting there for you (The chain going through the hoop under the float holds it there).

It's really not that tricky.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Back