Anchovy size

vangoalie

i just got back from army and navy and they had the bait also at 25% off so I picked a bunch of packs of anchovies, i was excited to get a deal, i noticed when I got home they were the extra large and much more expensive, lol. They aren’t too big but the are a little bigger than what I have used. Will they still work or am I limiting to what I will target? What size do most of you use, just looking for some advice, I’m pretty new to the game, I have 8 or 10 in a pack of these. Thanks for your help!

When I used anchovy in JDF, June-Sept, 8 and 10 per pack seamed to be the best summer sizes. We normally ran 8 count on one side and a 10 on the other. See what they liked then change, many days nothing worked others had a clear preference. Must say last 2 years and I have not bought anchovy. Just use spoons, rubber or plastic. Really could not see a difference, last year during the C&R period was the best, many fish almost every time out. Quick easy safe release with that single hooked spoon. Easier to rig, less hassle and cheaper even with todays junk disposable spoons.

HM

Both will work. I use 8 packs for springs and if I can’t get enough 8 packs to get through a season I will use 10 packs for fall coho and winter fishing.

For summer Chinook, I prefer 8 and 10’s. With the 8’s, I use the JDF teaser heads, they match up well with the 8’s, I like how the JDF’s make them roll. But that’s my opinion, and you will get lots of different ones.
I think they all work, but those are the ones I have confidence in so that’s what I use. :D

I only run bait on WCVI, always the smallest anchovies I can find. Tried the larger sizes, side by side, smaller ones have out-fished them 5-1 I would say.

So much so that during our annual trip to Winter Harbour with 12 guys and 4 boats, the small anchovies seem to get stolen at night from the bait coolers.

I fish 10’s out of Renfrew regardless of time of year. They seem to work well with my set up and boat speed so I stick with them. I even have my wife trained to pick up 10 packs for me when she’s in town...lol

IMO in many situations Anchovy is used where the fish are feeding on needlefish/candlefish. Smaller would probably be better in that situation. There was a time when there were not any narrow spoons like we have now that imitate needlefish/candlefish. Many have ditched bait in favor of spoons; much much easier to get proper action from the spoon.

My baits bigger than your bait lol. Match the hatch, and presentation is key. Usually try and buy the 10-12 packs.

Back