Anchovies & Herring What Brand Do You Use?

MyEscape

I'm getting ready to order bait for the season and wondering what peoples preference is..... Usually buy Rhys Davis chovies and a few different brands of herring. I know what sizes work in our area but wondering is there better bait or as good of a product for a cheaper price as we go through a case a day minimum between the 10 boats and even more when have lots of bring your own boat customers!!

Contact information on other wholesale suppliers would be also appreciated

Thanks ME

..i never liked the freezer burn of the rhys davis packs...may have to check into the bluewater brand.

Rhys Davis hands down! tried a few of the other brands during the great anchovy drought a couple of years ago and I couldn't wait to get back to my old favorite. I promised myself then that I will always a case of the good stuff in the freezer just in case.

Rhys all the way for me!! Nothing comes close. If you like belly rot and ununiform size occasionally, go Blue. Pick through the tray, and get your 4-6 pices out of 16.

I shiver everytime you guys start talking about the cost of anchovies on VI. Then add the additional cost to get and buy good bait from a remote lodge... Get out those checkbooks! :)

When it comes to bait I'd have to recommend sticking with Rhy Davis and/or Bluewater. The "freezer burn" and other problems mentioned are more from mishandling (partial thawing and re-freezing) of the bait either by the distributor, retailer, or the end user. If handled and kept frozen properly, anchovies will last for YEARS!

Not knocking Rhys Davis, but Bluewater is just as good (if not better IMHO) and is cheaper bought down here. You need to start buying from either by the case and directly from the distributors. I don't know the cost difference in BC; however, for anyone in Washington and/or Oregon it is VERY worthwhile to buy by the case from: Bluewater Distributing @ (360) 405-0665. Tell Dan a couple of guys by the name of Charlie and Dave said Hi! We've been buying from Bluewater longer than Dan has been a distributor - he inherited us! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rhys Davis for me. Even back to the old days when there were no anchovies on the market and our choices were minnows or strip. I buy 4 cases of anchovies about this time of the year to avoid the shortages later.

RD for me without question. They have a more cigar shaped body which allows for a tighter roll when situations call for such. This is what separates them from other baits imo.

does blue water use blue dye in their preservative? i think it is formaldehyde based...tints them lil?

First of all I want to thank everyone for their opinions and looking forward to seeing more. When your talking about purchasing over 100 cases of bait I want to get the best bait at the best cost. As for the comment about purchasing from a remote lodge we are very fair to our clients who purchase the bait from us because they do have an option to bring there own bait and we even supply a freezer for them to do so.

Cheers Kevin

I prefer Rhys Davis anchovies over all other brands out there - I have tried them all when forced to. The Davis trays yield at least 75% good chovies while other brands usually yield 20 to 40% decent chovies.
For herring the Bluewater product is fine, especially larger ones for halibut.

...Rob

Blue water is down the street from me.... Can I get some very recent opinions on these...I traditionally rhys davis its just what i grew up with.... But I can get cases of these things so I wonder what the consensus is?

Rhys davis for for anchovies, by far the best I have used. I know you guys fish a lot of herring as well, you really can not go wrong with north king blue/purple in the lodge pack.....that is what I fish when I am up in your neck of the woods.

Back