Anchors

paulo

Hello all, curious as to what type of anchors are bieng used by my class of boat. 20' north River. I was thinking of going to a 10-12lb folding grapnel type and or a Danforth style in the 10-13lb range with 20' of 1/4 or 5/16 chain. I very rarely anchor, mostly when out with the kids in sheltered bays. I will await input. Thanks

Sounds like you have already thought it through, paulo. - wrt equipment & you made a great choice wrt picking-out anchor & chain (don't forget ~200-300 ft of 3/4 quality line to go w the anchor). I've seen occasionally some mistakes with some people when executing the anchoring - mud the best - sand poor - rock - worse.

3/4 line is overkill for a 20 boat. You only need 3/8”
The Danforth will out perform the grapnel and is light and easy to stow. Does not do well in rock or weeds. If you really want to stay put get a Rocna. Probably 6kg model.

5A58F5D8-6D8B-443C-958C-3CED7F5BD412.png

Sir Reel that is why I think a Grapnel would be a good carry, for rocks. Agree, the Danforth from what I can surmise is easiest, cheapest and will do 75% of the time. Last fall I tried anchoring off of Stanley park for some Coho. All I had was about a 15lb river anchor. I had a hell of a time getting it out of the rocks. There was almost no current and I think it was less than 20'. That is where the grapnel would probably shine.

Thanks Agentaqua, I have been doing some research for sure. There are just so many available. When you start digging in (intended) it is mind boggling how many choices there are. Also don't want to break the bank.
Much appreciated so far fellas.

3/4 line is overkill for a 20 boat. You only need 3/8”...View attachment 43616
Maybe, maybe not SR. The advantages of going w 3/4" verses say 3/8" - is that you can also use the 3/4" for running a shoreline; and/or towing, when needed. Not so much w the 3/8". More options w the 3/4" line...

Last edited:
If you can guarantee that you will only anchor in a shallow quiet no current bay, while awake and for short periods then almost any 12-15 Danforth anchor will suffice, as probably would a chunk of lead/concreate. There are many posts on here concerning anchors. If you want a safe, do anything anchor and use as designed without adding plastic tie wraps, wire or some other mod for safety then get a 13#, 15# slip ring anchor, proper length of chain and the correct amount of rode. Always comes up, grabs any bottom, stays all night while you sleep and is reasonable. My 2c.

HM

Sir Reel that is why I think a Grapnel would be a good carry, for rocks. Agree, the Danforth from what I can surmise is easiest, cheapest and will do 75% of the time. Last fall I tried anchoring off of Stanley park for some Coho. All I had was about a 15lb river anchor. I had a hell of a time getting it out of the rocks. There was almost no current and I think it was less than 20'. That is where the grapnel would probably shine.

Thanks Agentaqua, I have been doing some research for sure. There are just so many available. When you start digging in (intended) it is mind boggling how many choices there are. Also don't want to break the bank.
Much appreciated so far fellas.
If you have a choice (and most times you should) - always pick the best holding ground and cove/cubbyhole.

People sometimes see a sand beach (as an example) and drop an anchor in the sand and the surf/surge comes in and throws them on the beach. There is a reason why there is sand there verses say mud. The surf/surge washes the mud away and your anchor drags through the remaining sand. Instead go out deeper (which means longer line requirements) until you hit the subtidal and mud. That's why you should have like 200-300ft of line - or better.

Wrt rocks - usually it means you can get closer to the beach - but maybe you can use a shoreline across points or even tied to a large tree to help there.

Don't wait until dark to come in and figure this out, neither - esp. in areas where anchorages are in high demand in the summer, as an example. You'll be left with the slim pickings wrt spots to anchor.

AND...

Don't forget to check the tides and see what happens when the tide drops to low tide underneath you where you are at anchor!....

Like everything regarding boating, practice lots.
Get confident with whatever setup you choose. Then, when you really need it, you have a much better chance of avoiding a cluster@#$&

Like everything regarding boating, practice lots.
Get confident with whatever setup you choose. Then, when you really need it, you have a much better chance of avoiding a cluster@#$&
Some great advice there. Also practice using your radar before it gets foggy

I spent a week in the lower end of the Douglas Channel last year. I couldn't believe how hard it was to find a descent anchorage.... It was smooth hard rock everywhere and almost impossible to get the anchor to set as what I was used to... even in back areas that I would have thought would have had sand or gravel. I think there is just so much tidal current coming into and out of the channel through the eons that the bottom is polished smooth in alot of areas. Even on the chart plotter there were only a few anchorages shown with the anchor sign, and if you didn't use those area's, good luck trying to hold your ground overnight.... anchor alarm prob went off half a dozen times one night... maybe more, and that's always fun when it's pitch black outside....
As agent said, it's best to find your spot early and make sure your comfortable with how well your anchor is set...

X2, bigdogeh. Another related issue in many of the anchorages on the coast is what I call wind funnels. In other words - at lower velocities (say less than 35 knots) prevailing winds (e.g. SE, and NW, & sometimes NE outflow) are pushed along the surface and follow the direction of the sometimes meandering inlets. BUT....

In some anchorages - once winds get past a certain velocity - they can get pushed up and over mountain passes and into these wind "funnels" and down into your anchorage and come at you often sideways. If it is deep with a drop-off - you can drag anchor and float away sometimes and/or get close to the beach - often late at night while you are sleeping. That's where anchor alarms (on your GPS) are indispensable in waking you up...

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer. I have pretty much taken care of my anchoring needs. That size of FX is more than what I need. Trying to watch my weight as well.

Back