Americans continue to Fish Pender Bluffs

Blackmax

US boats continue to fish Pender Bluff area illegaly with no fear of getting caught.There is no one enforcing the rules and Americans are taking salmon at will. I saw one boat with 2 fish on and 5 other boats fishing all US.

US boats continue to fish Pender Bluff area illegaly with no fear of getting caught.There is no one enforcing the rules and Americans are taking salmon at will. I saw one boat with 2 fish on and 5 other boats fishing all US.
Have you reported this to DFO?
Two DFO boats were out at Steveston today checking boats. If they knew about the situation you speak of I would hope that they would take a run across to check that out??

Hmm maybe call the coast guard/RCMP too as they are American boats fishing illegally in cdn waters?

Hmm maybe call the coast guard/RCMP too as they are American boats fishing illegally in cdn waters?
Pender Island residents have repeatedly called for the past 3 weeks and not a single DFO boat has showed. One person was told yesterday that DFO was sending a plane lol I finally lost it out there and went into the closed zone and informed 6 US and 3 Canadian boats they were fishing in a closed zone. they reeled up and left. DFO claims to have no boats available and this is not high priority. This continued yesterday with 2 more US boats fishing and I witnessed 2 fish reeled in. I didn'd bother reporting as its a waste of time.

Have you reported this to DFO?
Two DFO boats were out at Steveston today checking boats. If they knew about the situation you speak of I would hope that they would take a run across to check that out??

They won't go there and the Americans know it , DFO is pretty useless. Yes a couple of hundred calls have been put in and recorded. Raincoast and DFO closed our fishing area just for political gain and the American's get to take our fish, brutal.

Don't those guys fishing in there know that they are bothering the SRKW's by fishing in that area. The whales that have been in there a total of zero times this year because DFO and the NGO groups forgot include floating markers with signs telling the whales they want them to visit that area to forage. I'm sure once they realize their mistake they will redirect unimportant funds away from other salmon projects and have some signs made up for next year.

Interesting. Never heard of them before. Didn't see anything posted on the recent section since 2017 though so I wonder if they are still active. Gonna check them out as we have a cabin on a gulf island and we are spending a lot of time over there. Find it very odd that DFO/RCMP etc aren't responding to reports about these boats fishing there.

DFO probably only plans to enforce the no go zone if/when whales are present.

They won’t publicly say that but that’s probably the case.

The best thing is to report it and a lot, they will be forced to enforce it based on calls in. It may seem us less but do it as much as you see it.

Jack knobs are jack knobs, regardless of what side of the boundary they come from - they’re everywhere. As I am an American who respectfully follows the laws wherever I fish, I’d like to not be stereotyped as part of the problem at Pender. As was later said, Canadians were seen fishing there as well.

They’re ignorant dumb *****, plain and simple and nothing more. I’d love nothing more than to see the book thrown at them.

Jack knobs are jack knobs, regardless of what side of the boundary they come from - they’re everywhere. As I am an American who respectfully follows the laws wherever I fish, I’d like to not be stereotyped as part of the problem at Pender. As was later said, Canadians were seen fishing there as well.

They’re ignorant dumb *****, plain and simple and nothing more. I’d love nothing more than to see the book thrown at them.
Fair enough, we all know what would happen to a Canadian fishing illegally in US waters. We are ******* here that usually reward lawbreakers.

We’re one community with a common love of being on the water, catching fish, and preserving the resource for the next generation. Our governments repeatedly have let us down and will continue to do so, I have no doubt. We need to stick together.

We’re one community with a common love of being on the water, catching fish, and preserving the resource for the next generation. Our governments repeatedly have let us down and will continue to do so, I have no doubt. We need to stick together.
I wouldn’t read to much into Nationality of the offenders. Heck the rules are getting so complicated that most people who only fish occasionally probably don’t know them. To be honest I know many people from outside the area that when shown the map of openings and closures are aghast at how complicated DFO has made it.
What is the take away?IMO is that there is no enforcement! That being the case the rules are only for those honest enough to follow them or perhaps I guess stupid enough to follow them! It appears even DFO from lack of action to the reports of violations know its rules are sheer stupidity!

As a guy who brings his boat up to the island every couple years, I think a bunch of the problem is communicating. I look at the amount of zones in the Washington waters. How about a very readable online map(s) with area delineated and numbers referring to the rules in those areas.

As a guy who brings his boat up to the island every couple years, I think a bunch of the problem is communicating. I look at the amount of zones in the Washington waters. How about a very readable online map(s) with area delineated and numbers referring to the rules in those areas.
Naw-- Too sensible. It will not likely happen....

Back