aluminum gas tank starting to pit.

rtbob

I have a 18.5 double eagle my inboard gas is starting to pit. Not going to be long before it will be leaking. I have people use JB WELD to repair. Have a new one built. Cost?? Install a poly. Very cheap. Have the outside of tank fibreglass it. Any other ideas out their?

I have a 18.5 double eagle my inboard gas is starting to pit. Not going to be long before it will be leaking. I have people use JB WELD to repair. Have a new one built. Cost?? Install a poly. Very cheap. Have the outside of tank fibreglass it. Any other ideas out their?
Aluminum tanks are nice because of the baffles inside. If your tank is not leaking, clean it up then take it to a Linex shop and have them spray it for you. It could be pretty cheap if they are doing a bedliner at the same time.

Ethanol in gas will slowly eat jbweld. You can look at gas tank relining kits like por-15... you may be better off having a new tank made.

Cheers.

Poly is fine if you can get a suitable one. otherwise set aside $1000.00 + for a new certified aluminium tank. JB weld will not last.

Back