Aluminum boat side mods what to do?

JAC

Hey Guys,

So after some testing the boat is working pretty well but the sides are a little low on the stern as may of you thought, so I need to add some sides. Right now its very easy to walk down the sides but when motoring in rough water im getting some spray on the outboards. So at first I planned to put side all the way down but that will make the walkway very tight. So i will put some pics of ideas I have and im looking for feedback? If I just put on the sides at the rear I will joint them to the house that way in a following sea no water will get through. I want to make it look good so any idea would be great. Do you guys see a problem with the low walkway if I box out the front and the back so there is no way waves can get in the boat just will splash up on the 8' by 10" walkway and it will wash off because it has nowhere to go. any tips would be great
b97206116d2a370890cfed293b017ef8.jpg

full side
tylerboatside.jpg

rear side
tylerboatside2.jpg

railing at the sides height with a 10" combing with 3-4" holes every 2' for ropes and drainage....

If it were me I would go full sides, and match the height of the forward sides...it looks awesome the way it is, but I think with full sides it will still look really good...

not only look good but will be practical, keeping water/waves outside your hull where they belong

In the one pic I put on the half side they will be around 12" high and about 18" to 20" off the water. The thought about the 12" side is it would still be a lot easier to get by then 24" sides. I know its not much more weight but the less weight the better! Thoughts??
tylerboatside.jpg

Heres my vote... follow the lines of the forward side tapering down to the rear...

I think it compliments the lines of the boat.

IMAG0175_zps4abe6f08.jpg

Could you have the side go all the the way to back and follow the natural line of the hull? Start it where yours ends (just below the window) and run it to the back at a slight taper? Or is that sloped line of your hull that I am seeing, because of the way it is sitting in the water? I would think it would flow a little better and look a little more aesthetically pleasing than the wall coming half way up (12 inches).

But am I am in no way an expert and its not my boat lol.

Wow finished business we must have been typing at the same time lol, I agree with FB but even a slight bit less an angle.

Ok so thanks for all the posts I thought instead of thinking about it I would build a side when I got home. After a lot of thought I think the 12" side will be the best of all. Lighter and don't need as much stiffener need to support 12" vr the full size 24". Also with the 12" it will be much easier to pass by so here are a couple show what do you think it still need the pipe on the top. I could put a hand rail along the top to if I need.
0bb80a047ef917f8146f9588a2fe3bd7.jpg

77fc99e3e98f3f2ac6ad2e70a117bd6a.jpg

yes this is what i kinda meant, finished off with a rail that tapers with the same lines..cut a few keys? (holes for ropes) with a hd cleat welded inside of the keyholes.

needs some keys up front also...

I was just going to put a rail along the top or were you think a elevated hand rail. I will run the rail from the frog all the way to the transom.

That does look pretty cool but I want to give te rear house a try this year. If it does not work I will be cutting the house off the deck and moving it forward and once again spending more money on boats. Haha my wife love that NOT!! Fishing for big rainbow trout can be tough often not a bite for hours or all day. There is something to be said about looking ahead with your gear infront of your face!

Gypseas your bottom pic look like a mono hull that maybe a little to much work to convert the cat haha

Put a little swinging gate between the forward part of the cabin and the side to keep any waves from a following sea or backing down out of your forward cockpit. Anything else will look like a makeshift addition to a brand new beautiful boat. Builder needed a smarter guy doing the math on the size/floatation of the 2 hulls.
Spray on your motors shouldn't matter if you are anal about checking the seals around the cowlings.

I will be putting a side on forsure I might keep the side I build and add rails at the same height of forward sides. Or else I could by some more plate and build full side but I would like to keep the weight down.

I am 100% for the catamaran design. I often fish off one and the difference between running a mono and cat in the rough is unbelievable. Second pic is still of your cat in the shop as it was getting built.

I would personally go full sides plus full transom from a safety standpoint. Combining 2-4ft chop with a stern heavy, water may travel through the opening and into the front area and God forbid into the cabin... NOT pretty

My 5¢ worth.

cheers

Back