Alternative to Elk Lake?

ratherbefishing

Was hoping to drag my 16' DE down from Nanaimo to Victoria this weekend (Aug24-25) and take my nephew out fishing on Elk Lake. I have since found out the the dragon boaters will be out in force on the lake all weekend. Given I grew up fishing on Elk it was my go to but now??? Any other suggestions? I just want to get him out there with a bobber and worm and catch a few pumpkin seed etc... and to take him for a boat ride.
Cheers
RBF

Your next option for a lake would be Shawnigan. The only other lake in victoria that allows motor boats (non electric powered), is prospect lake. But that lake is small, and the ramp and trailer parking is terrible.
Unless you have access to a small boat with an electric motor, thats pretty much it.

Winds look calm off victoria/Sooke this weekend especially the forcast for Saturday. Why not take him out salmon fishing? Huge step up!

If your set on lake fishing shawnigan is awesome for bass and has little perch and sunfish too.

x2 on prospect so many bass around the golf course, and sunfish are everywhere in between the island and the shore.

kunni

Keep in mind he's fishing out of a 16' ft double eagle. You don't think there will be an issue with parking and launching at that ramp?
I'd consider the ocean as well. You don't have to go far to find fish.

Keep in mind he's fishing out of a 16' ft double eagle. You don't think there will be an issue with parking and launching at that ramp?
I'd consider the ocean as well. You don't have to go far to find fish.

people always launch ski boats, and other boats in excess of 18 ft at prospect lake, launch it at the ramp drive your truck out park it on the road and walk down. The ocean would be nice, tie into a few lingcod but then you have to wash down your boat flush motors ect.

kunni

Thanks guys. I was looking for a lake option as I am just not sure how a 6yr old will do in a boat fishing for any length of time. I just don't think I will be able to keep him engaged enough dragging gear looking for salmon (unless the pinks are THICK somewhere). Bobbers and worms are what I remember and I know he would love it too. A 16DE and my CUV really aren't that big and the trailer is similar to that of a 16ft tinny.

if you are looking for a lake that has non stop sunfish action, like a fish every 5 minutes I would recommend Florence lake next to langford lake. Its super small, and you wont get a boat down there, but there are sunfish everywhere.

Thanks for the info. Part of the day was going to be going for a boat ride so...weather permitting it will be a few hours on Shawnigan. Pretty sure I can find him some fish with a bobber and worm and if he gets bored he can always go for a swim!

Back