Alouette lake

Was out on the weekend. Did well on kokanee (boat limit reached in 3 hours or so) and lost one larger rainbow of about 2.5lbs at the side of the boat. GPS track showed we only covered 1.6 miles total after shoving off. Don't need to go far...

All on the downrigger @ 30ft to 80 ft down. Dick night, wedding band or small crock tipped with power maggot and/or shrimp behind a small flasher/matrix/coyote.

Good to see DFO come and check on us. Not surprising given it was the long weekend.

Going to give it a try again this weekend before the cold scares me off the water in my little open tinny.

Hit Alouette yesterday. 4-5 other boats out there, didn't see any nets out. Was cold and not a lot of action. We got one average kokanee just under the surface, 100ft back, 1/16oz pink croc tipped with fire brined shrimp.

We worked the bay, mouth of gold creek and then over by the wood pilings on the opposite side. Marked a few kokanee schools, couldnt get them to bite. We put on some bigger gear 100ft+ down on the riggers where we marked some larger fish but no dice there either.

Still new to kokanee fishing, especially early season on big water. Will give it another shot soon as I am a sucker for punishment. Looking to upgrade my electronics in the mean time. Big lake fishing definitely can be improved with more modern technology. Hard to really nail down the productive water with so much to cover.

Far side here too. I usually use a small kokanee size dodger and a small apex and that catches lots. I usually go when the weather is warmer though.

I've had good success staying on the launch side, going left towards the shallow water marker. Then working out towards deeper water and do some loops through area looking for schools.

Always a bit different though. Sometimes on the riggers, sometimes with a split shot, lead line, right on top etc. Just gotta keep changing things up until it gets dialed in. I see some people doing the same thing over and over because it worked before, but things change and that can lead to a lot of skunkage or limit the results.

Kokanee move around the lake and at various depths in the column. My starting point is to dial in the finder to get the thermocline identified and start there. Then put one line out near the surface and see if there is activity up high.

Seems like everyone heads straight across and starts working that side up past the pilings because of the two GibbsDelta youtube videos. There is success to be had there, but I've found it equally productive in various parts around the lake. If your boat is big enough, getting up towards Gold Creek can be great.

I agree with the mini flashers/dodgers, I prefer them over the gangtroll set up. Or, most recently I use a 4-6" coyote spoon as the flasher, then 18-36' leader to a small pink fly, dick night, wedding band, mini G etc tipeed with a power maggot, krill, shrimp worm...

I've had good success staying on the launch side, going left towards the shallow water marker. Then working out towards deeper water and do some loops through area looking for schools.

Always a bit different though. Sometimes on the riggers, sometimes with a split shot, lead line, right on top etc. Just gotta keep changing things up until it gets dialed in. I see some people doing the same thing over and over because it worked before, but things change and that can lead to a lot of skunkage or limit the results.

Kokanee move around the lake and at various depths in the column. My starting point is to dial in the finder to get the thermocline identified and start there. Then put one line out near the surface and see if there is activity up high.

Seems like everyone heads straight across and starts working that side up past the pilings because of the two GibbsDelta youtube videos. There is success to be had there, but I've found it equally productive in various parts around the lake. If your boat is big enough, getting up towards Gold Creek can be great.

I agree with the mini flashers/dodgers, I prefer them over the gangtroll set up. Or, most recently I use a 4-6" coyote spoon as the flasher, then 18-36' leader to a small pink fly, dick night, wedding band, mini G etc tipeed with a power maggot, krill, shrimp worm...

Great info ... what speed do you troll at sockeye slow dead slow ...

Ya I take the kids there, sometimes just zig zag down the lake hitting different schools of Kokanee along the way.
I noticed action is slow when the water is below 54deg.

I fish the top 10ft trolling fly rods and full sink line.

My go to is a 2 wt fly rod full sink line and a worm on a slow death hook.

Last edited:
Ya I take the kids there, sometimes just zig zag down the lake hitting different schools of Kokanee along the way.
I noticed action is slow when the water is below 54deg.

I fish the top 10ft trolling fly rods and full sink line.

My go to is a 2 wt fly rod full sink line and a worm on a slow death hook.

Nice roll

Same here taking nieces and nephew ... good to know that about water temp , I was thinking of loading a fly rod with mono or just go with a spinning rods ..

Edit : just saw you put fly rod with sinking tip exactly what i have will try all methods

Last edited:
When trolling with a diver or off the rigger, I like to use bait casters which takes away line twist.

I picked up a couple of cheap Kokanee specific trolling rods for ~$40 and use old Abu C3's I had kicking around.

PS. cabelas.ca has some 8" coyote flashers for $2.99. I just picked up 10, lol. Sometimes I run as a dummy or inline. Great price, but a bit big for the local kokanee. Worth a shot at that price to tinker with though.

Never been there for kok's. Always Lyman plug and 60-80' for the other fish. Piles has always been great spot. I think there getting bigger.

Pick up some Luhr Jensen (or other mfr) dodgers in #000 size for the koks. I like the full size Coyote flashers for Salmon, but I've never had much luck with the mini Coyote flashers. Other brands of minis I've done well with. Hope you have better luck with yours.

I have been using coyote spoons as flashers. Instead of dodgers or proper flashers. 4" army truck or chartreuse glow then a short leader to the lure. Works great and they are are very light so as not to take away from the fight. I use it off the rigger or flat lining. Much preferred to gang tolls.

Just picked up those coyote flashers due to the $2.99 sale price and will run them when trolling for trout and bulls and in the chuck.

Try a Cdn wonder spoon as a dodger. They work great. Way deeper cupping than a coyote spoon, so they give tons of action to whatever your trailing.

Try a Cdn wonder spoon as a dodger. They work great. Way deeper cupping than a coyote spoon, so they give tons of action to whatever your trailing.

Hey TBG,

How do you rig these spoons for koks and what size leader do you usually use with them? I've seen guys using two of them in tandem and then add a 18" leader with a small croc spoon but Ive never tried that myself. ThX.

I do 18-24" leader most often from the flasher/spoon to a small dick nite, wedding band, miniG, etc tipped with some sort of meat like shrimp, power bait thing, krill or worm. It is pretty straightforward. I hate gang trolls.

Back